Windshields Breaking

Question, a friend got a 2019 z20 and pulled it home with the cover on. When he took off cover both windshield’s were shattered. Is that common? Is removing windshields while trailering with a cover necessary?

I always do, was a problem on 17s too.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Yes it's advised to remove windshields. It helps with saving your cover from wearing and the tension from breaking the shields.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. Will remove going forward. Wish they would use good enough quality plastic to hold up.

5. Member
    I thought people were putting rubber backed washer on the screws that attached to windshields to help with this problem?
    2019 Nitro Z19
    200 HP Mercury Pro XS 4s

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steinybass View Post
    I thought people were putting rubber backed washer on the screws that attached to windshields to help with this problem?

yes and it works wonders but I still wouldn’t try towing with the shields in place. They decided to use a very cheap brittle plastic. I broke 3 on my 2018. Before that I had 2 other brands and never broke a shield and I fit them with lures before. Both nitro shields broke leaving dealer with cover on. That was an awesome new boat experience. I then broke the third when I got my replacements tightening the first one. I went to install just the thumb screws and that caused it to crack. It always had a wiggle so I slowly kept turning a little at a time then crack. Since then I went with rubber grommets and all has been good. They are very proud of the shields to almost $150 per. If it happens again I’ll go without until I find another brand that fits but has been good for the last few years.

I don’t use the travel cover except when parked. I have the black and white premium cover that comes with the motor cover. It looks slick and appears well made. however, feel it’s the worst travel cover I ever owned. They got me thinking I was buying the premium cover. I feel some cash needs to be spent to fix that also. I have a DC boat
    Last edited by jasonG; 05-01-2022 at 08:41 AM.
    Nitro z21

newer models don't have that thinner windshield material.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    I have replaced mine 3xs added rubber washers and still trashed them. looks terrible but just didnt replce them anymore. cheap construction if you ask me.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    newer models don't have that thinner windshield material.
    They must’ve changed it for 20, mine seem pretty beefy.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

10. Member
    Do not tow with the cover on and the windshields in place. Both of mine shattered the first time towing with the cover on. Called Nitro to get them replaced. They told me to pound sand. Not covered under warranty. Take them off.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS
    2019 nitro z20, mercury pro xs 250 four stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    They must’ve changed it for 20, mine seem pretty beefy.
    The new console design got the beefier wind deflectors. started in 2020. I have towed with mine on with no issue. But maybe twice. I normally take them off.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    The new console design got the beefier wind deflectors. started in 2020. I have towed with mine on with no issue. But maybe twice. I normally take them off.
    I've towed thousands of miles with my cover and windshields on with no issues. I'd worry about wearing the cover out before breaking the windshields.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

well maybe u have not had the pre 2020 models. Just a habit. I do find my cover tows better without the windshields, won't pull up over the rub rail on the sides by the consoles.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

14. Member
    Ive towed my 2022 Z-19 a couple times with the cover on. 58 miles one way of wash board dirt road. I've not had any problems with my windshields cracking or breaking.

15. Member
    My 2019 Z19 also has a small portion of the windshield broken off under one of the thumb screws. Same thumb screw now has a vertical crack...looks like I'm going to have to purchase a new one. I have no doubt it is a result of towing with the cover on. From now on, I'll simply remove the windshield when towing with the cover on.
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

Also have 2019 z19.
    Broke both windshields after towing with cover this spring.
    Bass pro wanted over $200 per windshield.
    2019 nitro z19 with mercury 4 stroke 200hp.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscia View Post
    Also have 2019 z19.
    Broke both windshields after towing with cover this spring.
    Bass pro wanted over $200 per windshield.
    I called my local Cabela's and was quoted right at $200. Crazy expensive but what other choice do we have?
    “Without uncompromising faith, no miracle can ever occur.” - Stan Kellner

18. Member
    My 2016, I had a co-angler loose balance and grabbed windshield, cracked into pieces around the knobs. $190 later, I put black Gorilla tape on the inside of the windshield along the lower sections and cut out for the bolt holes for reinforcement. Did same on my 2019 before using. Hold up well.
    Rad Brewer

19. Member
    There are several places online that will make replacements for you, even a choice of materials. Here's one I found...https://shapesplastics.com/boat-windshield