Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    My 2019 is the same way loading with the fenders out of the water, if you have a strong cross wind it sucks no matter what you do. lol

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet lou View Post
    My 2019 is the same way loading with the fenders out of the water, if you have a strong cross wind it sucks no matter what you do. lol
    ^^^^^^ This

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

3. Member
    Mounted a short bunk on the strake on either side of the middle roller.RT188 Bunk Adds.jpg
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Member
    Just returned from being blown off the water with a 20+ mph cross wind and incoming cross-tide. My trailer is stock. I just back it down until the fenders are about 5 - 6 inches above water and come in hot with the boat (maybe 5 mph). Boat stops about 3/4 of the way up the trailer, then I use the big motor until it contacts the bow post. Boat typically centers itself, but today I had to give it a little sideways push to line up the bow roller.

5. Member
    Extra Bunks.jpgBought the lumber and had dealer take care of the rest. These buggers need about 3-6" of hub exposed, but it no longer jumps off to the side on a less than level landing.
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Extra Bunks.jpgBought the lumber and had dealer take care of the rest. These buggers need about 3-6" of hub exposed, but it no longer jumps off to the side on a less than level landing.
    Looks good!
    2017 Ranger 198p w/ Merc150 4stroke

7. Member
    Sounds like y’all are taking outboard out of gear before your on trailer.
    never had any problems with mine . Leave fenders out about 3 or 4 inches and never take it out of gear until on trailer.

8. Member
    GeauxTide
    is that bare wood showing on 2spots side by side at the end of your left bunk?
    reason I ask is my trailer is showing exactly the same type of holes to bare wood on my left bunk in exactly same place.
    and the boat has been loaded less than 12 times since purchased new
    really strange wear pattern and to happen this quickly
    2021 Ranger RT188
    2021 Mercury 115 PXS CT 4S 3B038093
    Va Tech '69, '70, '74

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmy-rt188p View Post
    Just returned from being blown off the water with a 20+ mph cross wind and incoming cross-tide. My trailer is stock. I just back it down until the fenders are about 5 - 6 inches above water and come in hot with the boat (maybe 5 mph). Boat stops about 3/4 of the way up the trailer, then I use the big motor until it contacts the bow post. Boat typically centers itself, but today I had to give it a little sideways push to line up the bow roller.
    SAME HERE.... But I do it a little differently...but have NO PROBLEM with a stock trailer...none.. this is what I do - partly because I believe that some of the bow internal broken welds which results in cracks are caused by hitting the bow on the end of the bunks when driving the boat hard up on the trailer and the flexing and pressure it causes. I am more gentle with it. We always have wind here...flat and steep ramps...and Florida is flat and windy.

I put the trailer into the water with a little of the fenders showing. This allows the side rails to do their job....... then I push the boat on up toward the roller with the big motor making sure it is centered using the side rails as indicator. I get it on up there a bit where it is stable but not hitting the roller yet. I go up front and get out and hook the strap hook up to the eyelet and crank the boat on up until it gets hard to crank - still not hitting the roller most of the times. Then either my partner or I back the trailer in a little more and let the boat take the weight off. Then I crank it the rest of the way to the winch roller. Tales about 2 minutes longer but it works every time...never fails. I have never...not once...had trouble with this routine.

I believe it is also better on the aluminum braces and spot welds and the aluminum bow sheeting....and it works every time.
    Last edited by FloridaFlyer; 07-03-2022 at 12:06 PM.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

10. Member
    Homebody, I had new carpet put on my old bunks when I had the new bunks installed because I did have some wood showing.

11. Member
    Was the wood showing just at the very back end of the bunk?
    Was there same wear on both sides?
    2021 Ranger RT188
    Va Tech '69, '70, '74

12. Member
    Just the back.

13. Member
    When I rebuilt my trailer I rigged the 4 guide posts so that the rear ones have about 3 or 4 inches of wiggle room on each side. The 2 that are toward the front are dead on my boats width at that portion of the trailer. Loads up dead on perfectly every single time, including in a heavy crosswind. I also added vinyl door jam planks as the outer bunks and treated/painted 2x4's wrapped in vinyl gutter material as my inner bunks. Back the trailer in and wet the bunks..... split the back guides.....and you're home free without any stress.

0514210910~3.jpg

14. Member
    That is a dandy looking trailer slicefixer
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    That is a dandy looking trailer slicefixer
    Thank you Brother Flyer...👍 Coming from you, somebody that has built airplanes (I love to fly and love airplanes), that really means something to me!

16. Member
    I have the same problem 2022 rt188 p and the same gouge ,call me 256 303 8512

17. Member
    Mine is showing the same wear pattern . Boat has 20 hrs on it and the carpet on the top of the fenders is wore through , as is the inside top of the side guides , and the very back of the bunks.
    I wonder how much of this is due to poor quality carpet ? It also appears to me that the very rear of the boat is riding the bunks harder (probably the weld) is riding the bunk harder resulting in the wore through carpet.
    If this is the case I wonder if relieving some of the wood under the high spot would alleviate the worn through spots on the rear of the bunks.
    It would also probably alleviate some undue stress on those welds bearing excessive weight.
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

18. Member
    I sent pictures to my dealer and they said it was poor quality carpet that factory uses. They said the bare spots at the back end are typical of what they see. Mine had bare spots after loading only 6-7 times. Dealer said they will try to get Ranger to pay for new carpet but doubtful they would pay for it.
    Apparently dealer has seen it often because they say they use a much better grade of carpet when doing a replacement. Dealer said they see many years of life with their replacement.
    I thought it may be due to excess reinforcement on the transom welds but welds that I can see on each side of bunk look vey good.
    2021 Ranger RT188
    Va Tech '69, '70, '74

19. Member
    On previous boats I have used king starboard for fender liners , and it worked great.
    I have thought about Gatorbacks on the bunks , but don’t know if they would work very well due to how shallow the trailer needs to be to load.
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Trailer too deep.
    The trailer is too far into the water, try to determine at what point the boat slides off the trailer and try to bring the trailer a little more out of the water than when it slides off.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast