Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

RT188P loading on trailer problems

Hey guys, I’ve read through some previous posts about issues loading a Ranger RT on a trailer. The majority of the time I try to load it the boat ends up on top of the opposite fender. I tried backing shallower (yellow marker lights even with water line) and when the boat would try and center on the trailer it would jump up on the fender and get stuck. The carpet on the inner fender rubbed through exposing the metal edge and left a nice gouge about 5 feet under the boat. Also the uides on the side are too short and angled out. They are useless. Anybody else having this issue with a 2022 trailer (dealer said they changed the trailer last year?) or have any suggestions? I’m really second guessing this purchase. I’ve owned fiberglass and aluminum boats before and this is the first one I ever had issues loading. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Sorry to hear! I have a 2018 rt188. I too had issues loading the boat earlier on. Quite honestly, it still raises my blood pressure every time I do it. I’ve found that when I leave the fenders out about 3-4 inches, it loads pretty easy. If you have Facebook, go to the ranger aluminum boat owners page and maybe find someone that has a rt188p. Lots of good info on there.

3. Banned
    You are probably backing it down too far.

4. Member
    I have a 2021 RT198P and I have the same loading problems. Spent a lot of time on this issue. Backing the trailer down all the way in to wet all the bunk then pulling it out until about only the last 12" of the bunks are in the water helps a lot. But even this will not make it where you can load first try every time. Steepness or shallowness of ramp, cross winds, how square and centered you are when you drive on... so many variables. The biggest killer is ramps that are not level side to side. Almost impossible to load right on the first try with my RT if the ramp is significantly not level.

My salesman at my dealer, a longtime boater, gave me a great tip so that if I cross load on the first attempt, I can keep from clogging up the ramp and embarrassing myself:

If cross loaded, go ahead and connect the bow strap, tighten and pull it out. Connect the rear boat buckle on the side that the boat needs to move towards to be centered and cinch it as tight as you can get. Connect the other rear buckle but do NOT tighten. Leave the bow strap connected to the eye but not fully tightened... loosen it if you tightened it fully when you pulled the boat out of the water. Now start driving home. It will fall onto center every time after a short amount of driving. Often before you leave the parking lot of the ramp especially if there are speed bumps or pot holes. You might not hear or feel it fall onto center but check after a small mount of driving. When it falls onto center, then tighten everything up.

It has worked every time for me. Best tip I have ever received on boating and loading. Now I do not worry much about how my first load goes even though I still try my best to get it on the bunks first try. I do not drive at highway speeds when using this technique if all the straps are not fully tightened. Sometimes it helps to push from the bow not the rear if cross loaded or if your bow keel is not sitting properly on the bow roller.

I hope this helps.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

5. Member
    Yes I’ve had it straighten up on the road before when not lined up on the bunks but when the boat is sitting on top of the fender which it does half the time that’s not an option. I’m going to have to replace the fender liner where the carpet has rubbed through and the metal is cutting into the hull. I’ll try with only a foot of the bunk in the water next time. Thanks

6. Member
    Trailer too deep.

7. Member
    2 or 4 bunks on trailer?
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

8. Member
    Had the same problem, particularly on uneven end of ramp. I added two bunks inside of the factory bunks and solved the problem.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

9. Member
    I have two bunks. If anybody has pics of how they added bunks that would be awesome. I bought some ez slides today and will install them next time out also. Thanks for the help!!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Have you tried sitting in the middle of the boat as you drive it onto the trailer?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Had the same problem, particularly on uneven end of ramp. I added two bunks inside of the factory bunks and solved the problem.
    Did the same on the Tracker. Loads perfect everytime like my Ranger.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Have you tried sitting in the middle of the boat as you drive it onto the trailer?
    I have much better success loading my boat sitting on the center console of my regular RT188

13. Member
    1. Make sure your drop hitch is low enough to allow boat trailer to sit level when on level ground.

2. Leave 1/2 of guide bunks sticking out of water, usually top of fenders are out of the water 1 to 3 inches depending on hitch height.

3. Approach slightly closer to starboard side than you feel you need to be. But make sure you are parallel to the trailer. If you let the starboard guide bunk do its job it usually centers onto the trailer.

4. If you find yourself crooked, do not force it. It is better to backup slightly and move over than to try to straighten it if it is already resting on trailer.

5. The RT has a tendency to turn the bow starboard when going in reverse. If the boat is already contacting the trailer fender, this will make the transom go port making the situation worse. So steer hard starboard when reversing in tight quarters or if slightly on trailer to keep the bow straight as you back up.

I used to stress about loading until I implemented these criteria.

14. Member
    I bought some ez slides today and will install them next time out also. Thanks for the help!!
    My dealer said that I'd have an issue because the slides do stick up, slightly, putting pressure on some internal welds. I'm out of town, so I can't post pics. Will post on Friday. I had two 14" 2x4s mounted on each side of the centerline. I do spray the middle and 1/2 of the outside boards with some silicone prior to loading. Glides sllky smooth.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

Trailer to deep, I had one. If you think that is hard to load, go buy you a Bass Cat, you may likely tear the entire front off if you are not experienced at loading.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    My dealer said that I'd have an issue because the slides do stick up, slightly, putting pressure on some internal welds. I'm out of town, so I can't post pics. Will post on Friday. I had two 14" 2x4s mounted on each side of the centerline. I do spray the middle and 1/2 of the outside boards with some silicone prior to loading. Glides sllky smooth.
    Thanks I didn’t know that about the welds. Appreciate all the help.

17. Member
    As said in prior post, slide over toward the middle, problem fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by nickk1220 View Post
    I have two bunks. If anybody has pics of how they added bunks that would be awesome. I bought some ez slides today and will install them next time out also. Thanks for the help!!
    I fought this for a long time and did several work arounds but on steep ramps there was no help. I am pretty happy with adding the two additional bunks but even with them you have to load shallow.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

19. Member
    Is that a kit you bought to add the bunks?

Quote Originally Posted by zred View Post
    Is that a kit you bought to add the bunks?
    No I bought the individual parts.
    It takes 4 of the 8 inch brackets and 2 of the 12 inch.
    I made a special washer for the U bolts that holds the bracket to the frame to increase the grip area. As you can see in the pic, I used 1/8 thick flat steel, I think it is 1 1/2 wide but not sure. Just use the widest you can fit into the bracket.
    Once in the correct position, I cut off the excess bracket hanging below the trailer bracket. (4 inch grinder with cut off wheel)

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast