Motor choice for Nitro 901 CDX

Okay, so I have a 2004 901 CDX/DC. I have always run a Mercury. First was an 2004, second was a 2000, 3rd was a 2011. All 200 hp. The trend here is I have not had a motor last for more than 4 seasons. I have it serviced EVERY YEAR by a Mercury Master Technician. I do fish quite a bit but am not a WOT racer every time I start the motor. I REALLY TRY to take care of my stuff! That being said, I just blew the head on the 2011 3.5 years after total rebuild. I am going away from Mercury if I end up re-powering with something new. Question is what do I move on to. Has anyone here run a Yamaha or Suzuki on their Nitro? Anyone have insight on cost and availability? I am really frustrated at this point. Yes, I can go with another rebuild, but have no faith in the longjevity of them anymore. Thought/opinions please. Thanks all.

With Mercury being exclusive to Nitro I doubt you will get many responses. Regardless of brand there are 2 types of 2 strokes, those that have blown and those about to.
    Maybe opt for a 4 stroke?
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

I would be looking at a 4 stroke, not many issues with these. I'd be looking at what I was doing if this kept happening to me. I never really had any issues with my Optis, but there were known issues.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    UPDATE! New 200 Merc 4 stroke being installed this week! Now to re-prop the thing!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac828 View Post
    UPDATE! New 200 Merc 4 stroke being installed this week! Now to re-prop the thing!
    You'll love the 4 stroke. May lose a few MPH, but can't beat the ease of maintenance. Lucky to be able to get one!
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

any update, wondering how that 4 stroke performance compared to the old 2 stroke?

7. Member
    So despite some minor delays with the install, the customer service was outstanding. (Had done through Bunch Marine in Harriman TN) Got on the water yesterday and got 3.5 hrs of break in completed. WOW! This thing is scary awesome! I had them use my Fury 3 24p which I know is not right for the boat now but was really impressed with the hole shot I still had. The motor has a tremendous amount of torque and after plowing around for 3 hours I finally made a couple short runs. Mid range acceleration was WAY more than my 2 stroke, and despite topping out at 5400 rpm I was hitting 65.4mph with what I believe was a little more to go. I am going to run next week with my new Croxton Razor 3 in a 21p. My hope is that the increased diameter will further improve hole shot and overall handling, get me close to 6k rpms and I am keeping my fingers crossed I wont lose any top end and hopefully gain a little. Running numbers the Fury was giving me 10,800 feet per minute, the Razor should have me at 10,500 feet per minute so it should be a slight loss in top end but maybe the increased diameter will offset and give me more speed? Time will tell, but I am absolutely blown away with the way this motor runs. I think once I get all dialed in and a few more hours this 4 stroke will absolutely eliminate any reminiscing I may have of the old 2 stroke. It looks HUGE on my boat and I had visions of sitting in the water bobbing like a cork with the nose in the air but I honestly could not be happier!

that's awesome thanks for sharing

9. Member
    I have a 2003 901CDX, I put a Yamaha 200 3.1L OX66 2003 model on it 5yrs ago. It runs great usually 66 to 67mph gps. Haven't had any problems so far. I bought the boat used, it originally came with a 150 Merc. Way underpowered. Anyway I would love to have a new Yamaha four stroke, but my fixed income ain't fixed for that. But thank the Lord I still have some thing to go fishing in.
    Appreciate every day you young fellas, getting old ain't for sissies.

10. Member
    Razor 3 update: 2004 Nitro 901 CDx DC with 2022 Merc 200 4s 3B180364
    So I was finally able to get some time with my Croxton prop on the new Merc 200 4stroke. The 21p Razor 3 had a hole shot of maybe 2 seconds. I mean it is a launcher! Messed with the height a little and settled back in at 3.75" PTP. Same as I had for my other prop. Am going to have Mark up the pitch for me as I was a little over 6300 rpm WOT at a max speed of 61mph. Grip was awesome and handled very well but at low speeds I had a lot of bounce of the bow. Will have to speak with Mark on that for a recommendation. I also have this in the Props forum but wanted to add it here for the 901 guys.