Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Competitive rifle shooting

Anyone compete ? Have thought about getting into some form of competitive rifle shooting. Curious if anyone here has experience.

2. Member
    I did some very informal shooting with a group of guys for a few years when we were in our 20s. Was not official or anything. Basically a group of us got together and took the steel target that we owned collectively and set up a course. The best ones were in the thick woods along a logging trail as we would shoot behind cover.

I got no interest in hanging our with a bunch of strangers all day to do very little shooting.

I did a couple of High Power Rifle matches many years ago. They were fun. Got to stand in the pits and mark targets. Had to get used to the sound of sonic bullet crack over your head.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I got no interest in hanging our with a bunch of strangers all day to do very little shooting.
    That's a good point. I've gotten into a little competition pistol shooting in the last year. I like the shooting part, but all the standing around gets real old real fast. Not sure if it is that way with rifle or not.
    John

5. Member
    I have. Most recently F-Class rimfire. It's a good way to compete inexpensively in the current climate. I was doing a pistol league, USPSA style, it was a lot of fun and I was usually happy with my results. However, I finally concluded that, even with a re-shoot, I was standing around for 3 hours and I'd be on the clock for 40 seconds combined.

6. Member
    Shot IPSC, Silhouette, and a couple local comps in the late 80's and early 90's and got fed up with all the changes that went along with competition and quit. I shoot for 2 reasons, to practice self defense and for pleasure. Organized competition takes all the fun out of things. Just like drag racing that I enjoyed in my younger days, there are so many rules and regulations eventually employed that you need to abide by that the pleasure goes away.

Just last night I got a call from an old friend I hadn't spoken to in years and he just found out he has a short time to live, ask me to go to a comp shoot with him because he thought I could show up the demigod regulars and I turned him down. Certain types of competition are good, but when it involves something that should be done for other reasons.....not so much.

7. Member
    I know I would like to do the cowboy action stuff as I really like the old school stuff but I ain't dressing like a cowboys and saying stupid stuff while I am shooting.

8. Member
    I have done a fair share of pistol and rifle competitive shooting over my years. Started in college with bullseye (precision pistol) indoors. When I moved to Kansas for work I competed in PPC (police pistol combat). Moved back to Michigan and started shooting local highpower rifle matches at the local club. Moved back into bullseye shooting for about 21 years with the department's team and traveled all over the midwest for matches. Now getting into some rimfire rifle shooting.
    I coached 4-H rifle, attended the National Championships in pistol for 21 years, and mentored and supported several new young shooters with accessories and ammunition. Recently had my article printed in the MUCC magazine on encouraging people to compete to enhance their shooting skills.
    The positive is I have met many friends from across the country and locally that I would not have known if I never competed. The downside is depending on the type of match, their can be a lot of standing around and waiting, more so for the action type shooting. Quick is bullseye, ok is highpower rifle and silhouette rifle. Action pistol-IDPA etc is standing around waiting for your turn to shoot.
    I would encourage everyone to compete locally, it will improve your skills, you meet like minded people, and make great friends. Shooters are some of the friendliest and helpful people around.
    For a inexpensive class, attend the Highpower or Pistol Marksmanship training put on by the military at the National Championship matches in Camp Perry Ohio. Check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Last I checked it was $50 dollars for two days training, they provided the firearms and ammunition etc. along with excellent coaching and instruction.

9. Member
    Shot trap as a kid, enjoyed skeet more. Got sick of ahooting the exact same targets over and over and over and over, etc. got into sporting clays. Thats fun, but no range near me. Couple years ago found a group that shoots monthly precision rifle matches through PRS or NRL. Best thing, by joining the local rifle and pistol club we have access to a 1200 yard range, and its 5 minutes down the road from me. That range has been closed for covid (govt owned) so weve been shooting .22 matches on a 350 yard range, which is also really fun. Do a youtube search for PRS or NRL, it’s like the precision rifle version of sporting clays—all positional, varying range steel targets. Just be ready to shell out some $ on glass and ammo if you get hooked.

10. Member
    At some point I would like to play in I think is called F class shooting. Basically just rifle shooting at a static target and being scored. I could be totally wrong about that.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    At some point I would like to play in I think is called F class shooting. Basically just rifle shooting at a static target and being scored. I could be totally wrong about that.
    It is, and I compete regularly. I like F-TR, which is for .223 and .308 only. Shooting in the prone position. Bipod only for front rest. Mid range is 600 yards. Long range is 1,000 yards. 22 shots for record in 22 minutes. It's fun, and the limit of calibers evens the field. Need a high power scope, but you can get started with many factory rifles that are made for this type of shooting. Find a state assn., and go from there. NRA would be some help finding them, also.

12. Member
    I shoot NRA F-Class. Prone position shooting off of a front rest (not a bipod like F-TR) and a rear bag. The same type matches Hawg Hunter shoots but no limit on cartridge except nothing over .35 caliber. Common matches are 300 yd, 600 yd and 1,000 yd. Common cartridges are .223, 6mm, .260, .284, 7WSM, 7SAUM. There are a number of wildcats as well. Guns can weigh up to 22#. which helps with the recoil. No suppressors or muzzle brakes. Single shots only. Typically handloads are used to tune the cartridge to the gun to get best results. 50x-60x scopes are common.

The 10 ring is 10" at 1,000 yd with an X ring of 5". If your round is in the 10 ring you get 10 points. If it is in the 9 ring you get 9 points, etc. After 20 rounds your potential score is 200 (20 rounds times 10 points). You shoot 3 relays of 20 shots so the max score is 600 (20 rounds times 3 relays times 10 points). In competition it takes a score of 590+ to be competitive and the winner will be 595+ unless the wind is terrible. If there is a tie in the score then you count the number of X's to determine the winner. You get a couple of sighter rounds to start each relay to help you sight in the conditions of wind, temperature, mirage, etc. Larger 30 caliber and larger cartridges aren't common because by the end of the day you will have shot at least 66 rounds. That much recoil really takes a toll on you by the 3rd relay and you can develop a flinch or yips as in golf.

While most factory rifles fit within the rules and are a great way to see what it is all about the competitive guns will have 28"-32" straight barrels that are 1.25"+ in diameter. Shooting 22 rounds in 22 minutes will really heat up a barrel and sporter barrels will start bend and warp throwing the accuracy off. Barrels are consumables and burn out after 1200-2000 rounds depending on the cartridge but the magnums can be toast at 750 rounds. Trigger are usually set to 2-6oz so you don't pull the gun the target off pulling on the trigger. Safeties are not required because you don't load a round until the firing line is safe and you are released to shoot by range the safety officer.

As your score improves you move up in classification. Beginners don't shoot against High Masters (2 consecutive competitions with a score of at least 588 in each competition).

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swglenn View Post
    I shoot NRA F-Class. Prone position shooting off of a front rest (not a bipod like F-TR) and a rear bag. The same type matches Hawg Hunter shoots but no limit on cartridge except nothing over .35 caliber. Common matches are 300 yd, 600 yd and 1,000 yd. Common cartridges are .223, 6mm, .260, .284, 7WSM, 7SAUM. There are a number of wildcats as well. Guns can weigh up to 22#. which helps with the recoil. No suppressors or muzzle brakes. Single shots only. Typically handloads are used to tune the cartridge to the gun to get best results. 50x-60x scopes are common.

The 10 ring is 10" at 1,000 yd with an X ring of 5". If your round is in the 10 ring you get 10 points. If it is in the 9 ring you get 9 points, etc. After 20 rounds your potential score is 200 (20 rounds times 10 points). You shoot 3 relays of 20 shots so the max score is 600 (20 rounds times 3 relays times 10 points). In competition it takes a score of 590+ to be competitive and the winner will be 595+ unless the wind is terrible. If there is a tie in the score then you count the number of X's to determine the winner. You get a couple of sighter rounds to start each relay to help you sight in the conditions of wind, temperature, mirage, etc. Larger 30 caliber and larger cartridges aren't common because by the end of the day you will have shot at least 66 rounds. That much recoil really takes a toll on you by the 3rd relay and you can develop a flinch or yips as in golf.

While most factory rifles fit within the rules and are a great way to see what it is all about the competitive guns will have 28"-32" straight barrels that are 1.25"+ in diameter. Shooting 22 rounds in 22 minutes will really heat up a barrel and sporter barrels will start bend and warp throwing the accuracy off. Barrels are consumables and burn out after 1200-2000 rounds depending on the cartridge but the magnums can be toast at 750 rounds. Trigger are usually set to 2-6oz so you don't pull the gun the target off pulling on the trigger. Safeties are not required because you don't load a round until the firing line is safe and you are released to shoot by range the safety officer.

As your score improves you move up in classification. Beginners don't shoot against High Masters (2 consecutive competitions with a score of at least 588 in each competition).
    Thanks for that info. Im gonna have to research and see if I can find a club. I think I would like to initially just go watch a match. Seems interesting.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swglenn View Post

Another quick question. What rifle are you shooting? What brand of a factory rifle would be competitive. Im working on a bolt action AR10 in 6.5 with a 26" barrel. Not sure after some research it would be competitive.

All new stuff to me. Thanks for your help.

15. Member
    A bolt action ar10?

All of the various rifle games will have some features different from each other, sometimes very different, so its a little hard to say what will be competitive without having a focus on exactly what you are building it for. Im no expert there but my impression is Nra high power more off the shelf guns would be appropriately configured since they have a service rifle category that I think makes up a lot of the field. You’ll find a lot of custom or semi custom guns at other matches. What it takes to be competitive will also depend to a degree what game you are playing—the shooter is still usually the weak link but benchrest is a LOT more equipment-dependent than practical precision for example where the shooter has much more degree of influence on performance than the rifle. But in my experience most “competitive” precision centerfire rifles out there are built off a semi-custom Remington 700 clone action or a trued 700 action, with a heavier than you can usually buy off the shelf barrel, in a chassis of some sort and a game-appropriate scope (which may end up being more important than the rifle itself). Theres some niche brands making pretty ok off the shelf rifles, but so far nothing off the shelf from most of the big brands that I have seen is “competitive” at least for the practical precision formats ive shot the most. Not that they cant be made to work fine and be great in the hands of a good shooter and a great way to try it out without a full build, just may take more skill and fiddling to really be competitive. Not a bad way to go though tonavoid getting in over your head before you know exactly what you’ll want.
    Fclass guys, are there decent off the shelf rifles made for that?
    Last edited by MacIntosh; 05-20-2022 at 07:52 AM.

16. Member
    Regardless, go to some
    Matches before you drop coin on a rifle—there are specific requirements for different formats that are absolutely necessary and wont transfer between match formats.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    A bolt action ar10?
    Uintah Precision

18. Member
    Huh. So it is! Never seen or heard of it before, but if you already have it then run it.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacIntosh View Post
    Huh. So it is! Never seen or heard of it before, but if you already have it then run it.
    Yeah I will.. Ive got a long ways before I could compete. Just something I would like to look into. Seems fun. I could always build something different down the road if / when I got into it.

20. Member
    Yes, and I would encourage you to compete anyway. You may not be “competitive” but you are guaranteed to learn a ton and I bet have a great time doing it. Ive found most people outside of a very few a-holes—theres one in any group of people—are very supportive and helpful. I am absolutely not “competitive” but I enjoy shooting matches. Go watch a match and ask the match director or someone there if there is a good low-key match or way to try it out, and I bet folks will be really helpful. We try and do a practice day or low-key practice match or a “new shooter/old shooter team match” once a season just for this reason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast