Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Evening everyone! Had another Wednesday Nighter for our little fishing league.... I think there's 11 boats total, so 22 people in all.

We fished White Bear Lake which is typically a challenge for and the lake has very good water clarity along with a small population of Smallmouth residing in her waters.

The two major players were the:

Steez Bottom Contact II paired with a Tatula SV LTD and 16 lb FC Sniper tied to a Dirty Jigs pitching jig in hematoma and Berkley Chigger craw I believe. THIS is an amazing rod for the price, truly high end in all aspects. Not enough can be said for this rod, espically when you can find them used around $425 or so versus brand new at $549.99 or something. Caught a couple key fish during the evening dragging the jig which added us in our taking of 1st. Even caught 2lb Smallie lol! Soooo in all aspects this is one of the better jig rods I have fished and that includes a Xtasy 755 and NRX 894. All three are excellent jig rods truly, but the BCII just to me feels better. From dragging the jig to detecting bites, setting hooks this has it all. Very pleased.

My other rod was the Orochi XX Whipsnake. LOVE IT! Makes me wanna upgrade to the Landsat or Addermine.... Not much to say, casts easy even in strong winds, loads up when fighting fish and keeps them pinned! 10lb 131 sufix to 10lbn InVizX leader was more then enough to keep fish pinned. Reel is Kage LT MQ 2500. No better reel in the price point, that's how I feel. Caught a few on the drop shot and that's what this rod excels at!

Overall I am quite confident in fishing these rods in just about any scenario, in any lake locally I fish. Sure there are a few rods I'd consider adding and expanding my aresenal to the point I am covering everything that would be fishable in local lakes.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    Evening everyone! Had another Wednesday Nighter for our little fishing league.... I think there's 11 boats total, so 22 people in all.

We fished White Bear Lake which is typically a challenge for and the lake has very good water clarity along with a small population of Smallmouth residing in her waters.

The two major players were the:

Steez Bottom Contact II paired with a Tatula SV LTD and 16 lb FC Sniper tied to a Dirty Jigs pitching jig in hematoma and Berkley Chigger craw I believe. THIS is an amazing rod for the price, truly high end in all aspects. Not enough can be said for this rod, espically when you can find them used around $425 or so versus brand new at $549.99 or something. Caught a couple key fish during the evening dragging the jig which added us in our taking of 1st. Even caught 2lb Smallie lol! Soooo in all aspects this is one of the better jig rods I have fished and that includes a Xtasy 755 and NRX 894. All three are excellent jig rods truly, but the BCII just to me feels better. From dragging the jig to detecting bites, setting hooks this has it all. Very pleased.

My other rod was the Orochi XX Whipsnake. LOVE IT! Makes me wanna upgrade to the Landsat or Addermine.... Not much to say, casts easy even in strong winds, loads up when fighting fish and keeps them pinned! 10lb 131 sufix to 10lbn InVizX leader was more then enough to keep fish pinned. Reel is Kage LT MQ 2500. No better reel in the price point, that's how I feel. Caught a few on the drop shot and that's what this rod excels at!

Overall I am quite confident in fishing these rods in just about any scenario, in any lake locally I fish. Sure there are a few rods I'd consider adding and expanding my aresenal to the point I am covering everything that would be fishable in local lakes.
    I'm glad you are enjoying your BC2, it is probably the best all-around and most easily accessible JDM high-end jig rod on the market today! WBL is a great lake to learn how to jig fish and I fish there on a regular basis since it's only 15 miles from my home property when I'm not at the lake cabin. Although, it's best to fish there during the weekdays as the sailboat regattas during the weekends can be quite busy on that lake.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    I'm glad you are enjoying your BC2, it is probably the best all-around and most easily accessible JDM high-end jig rod on the market today! WBL is a great lake to learn how to jig fish and I fish there on a regular basis since it's only 15 miles from my home property when I'm not at the lake cabin. Although, it's best to fish there during the weekdays as the sailboat regattas during the weekends can be quite busy on that lake.
    I’m very pleased with mine. Yeah, we had a couple on the lake this Wednesday.

Been a while since I updated this, while I’m happy with my current selection rods there is one thing I’m trying to understand. This will vary from person to person, but how do I or you or anyone else for that matter select rods specifically. We all make the argument about learning a new technique or adding a rod for bigger profile baits. A while back I chose an Orochi XX Tour Versatile, I was looking at the Perfect Pitch in the same line, but chose the TV. Thinking back to that experience, I’d pick the PP over the TV. One main reason more backbone, but a MH is my go to rod.

Had a good outting last night and really put the P5 TB through its passes frogging in some thick pads, the 2020 Met B XG really worked out as a solid reel. I had been running the Bantam MGL, but upgrades cause of the weight difference.

I’m continually impressed by the Super Destroyer and Utility Player, both make fine bottom contact or single hook moving bait rods. Got a chance to throw 3/8 oz Dark Sleeper on the UP and loved it, felt at home on that rod. The Super Destroyer is by far the easiest rod to target cast with or skip for that matter.

I’ve been contemplating putting out a video or two detailing my thought process from start to finish regarding my decision to go down this trail and explain some of my decisions since starting on this path earlier this summer.

Thank you all for reading, hope you gained something from this.
    Last edited by NathanDLTH; 08-24-2022 at 10:19 AM.

5. Member
    I’d for sure be interested in watching a video.

Here's the video, sorry for the quality.... gopros lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbro1014 View Post
    I’d for sure be interested in watching a video.
    Hope you enjoy the video.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    Hope you enjoy the video.
    Nathan, can you provide an update on your quest? I’ve been following since the beginning and was wondering if you’ve finally settled or your arsenal grew again.

Thanks,
    Joe

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The Steez AGS 6'9" "Universal Light" is not a Medium Light, it's a solid Medium powered rod. This rod is extremely versatile and does a great job with treble baits and does handle lighter single hook baits extremely well.
    I purchased this model last fall. The name "Universal Light" is frankly misleading. I originally bought it with the intent of using it for bottom contact fishing (finesse jigs, no-sinker, and some drop shot) with 8-10lb fluorocarbon line. It will do that, but it has more power than I expected. I was expecting a P5 F3-610X with AGS guides. The line rating is 4-12lb test. I am OK at 8lb, but I feel anything less is setting myself up for heartbreak. Based upon my experience so far, I agree with Gary's assessment. Gary and I have never had an opportunity to speak to each other, so no conspiracy here
    I have fished jerkbaits and topwater on it, as well as the intended bottom contact lures. Paddle tails on 3/16oz or 1/4oz heads, as well as 1/4oz spinnerbaits are not a problem for this rod either. It is a capable, versatile rod. I typically fish a Daiwa SV Light Ltd 8.1R-TN reel on it. I often fish from shore at some city water reservoirs near me. It is a good one to take when in "One rod Tod" mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Mybigfish812 View Post
    I purchased this model last fall. The name "Universal Light" is frankly misleading. I originally bought it with the intent of using it for bottom contact fishing (finesse jigs, no-sinker, and some drop shot) with 8-10lb fluorocarbon line. It will do that, but it has more power than I expected. I was expecting a P5 F3-610X with AGS guides. The line rating is 4-12lb test. I am OK at 8lb, but I feel anything less is setting myself up for heartbreak. Based upon my experience so far, I agree with Gary's assessment. Gary and I have never had an opportunity to speak to each other, so no conspiracy here
    I have fished jerkbaits and topwater on it, as well as the intended bottom contact lures. Paddle tails on 3/16oz or 1/4oz heads, as well as 1/4oz spinnerbaits are not a problem for this rod either. It is a capable, versatile rod. I typically fish a Daiwa SV Light Ltd 8.1R-TN reel on it. I often fish from shore at some city water reservoirs near me. It is a good one to take when in "One rod Tod" mode.
    Yes, the name is misleading because it really has a lot more power than one might be looking for unless you want a bottom contact rod or smaller spinnerbaits. I feel in love with it because of its power and versatility, easily throw a shaky head on this rod. Pair with braid to leader and you get the same function, I have to think it way the way Daiwa made the blank that gives this rod so much power. Oh boy lol! An f3-6’9 with AGS guides, is not quite right for power but really it is more of a f4. I have not fished less then 8lb sunline and no do plan on, I really think 8-12lb is the best option for this rod and the versatility.
    It is really a fun rod to fish, if you wanted one rod to beat the bank with for ponds, rivers, or lakes this would be by choice, it allows you so much versatility from bottom baits, reaction baits, small topwater, and jerkbaits.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbro1014 View Post
    Nathan, can you provide an update on your quest? I’ve been following since the beginning and was wondering if you’ve finally settled or your arsenal grew again.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Hey Joe!
    Yes, I can. I hope you have enjoyed following along and gathered some good info.

My two Spinning rods:
    Orochi XX Whipsnake with Kage MQ 2500
    I think you will be hard pressed to find a better finesse rod then the Whipsnake. Absolutely love it for length and power.

P5 Windbuster
    Great all around spinning rod, one of the best rods Megabass has made since the P5 line came out.

Casting
    Steez 6’9 Universal Light
    This Rod offers a ton of versatility for the length and power. It will do everything you want a short rod like this and with the right line, you’ll have a hard time finding a better rod.

Orochi XX Diablo Spec-R
    I bought this late last summer and it is not going anywhere, excellent all around rod which I wanted. Excellent buzzbait rod.

Steez 7’3MH/F Utility Player
    Another all around fantastic do all rod, the only thing I probably would not fish is a frog. Feels a little light for things like that, then again it is a MH not a H.

Steez Bottom Contact II 7’5 MH/H-F
    This is my go-to jig rod or Texas rig rod. I’ve tossed Carolina rigs on it as well and it did well. Hard to find a better rod for the price, I think the 894 is the only rod that comes close.

P5 Super Destroyer
    I actually sold this rod, while I loved this rod it rarely never got fished. I do not regret that.

P5 Tequilla Baccarac
    One of my favorite rods from the P5 line, I mostly toss frogs on this or magdrafts. It’s really a fun rod, you can fish a lot of different baits on it. I would not go heavier than 3.5oz on it though.

Last summer I wanted to try some rods and kinda felt disappointed. I tried a couple Alpha Angler rods. The Zilla and Chatterbound. The Chatterbound is designed as a chatterbait rod but this reaffirms my dislike for glass in rods other than crank baits. The Zilla was really a fun rod to fish, it is a traditional 7’3 MH/F. But for the price it did not live up to the hype of being a high end rod without the price tag.

I did add a few new rods.
    The first is the P5 Mark 56, this was purchased as a big bait rod and I will say it does the 1-3oz stuff excellently. Do you need to spend a lot of cash on a big bait rod? No. I think if I were to do it again, I would go with a true swimbait rod either Dobyns, F5, or some other swimbait rod that cost less. I do love this rod and it is a fun rod.

The next couple I have not fished yet but have high hopes. I recently turned 40 and bought myself a nice combo lol! The Steez Moving Bait Versatile with a JDM Steez A II. I hope this combo lives up to intent and design. Next is the new P5 Javelin. Gary and I talked at length regarding this rod and what it is capable of. Again I have high hopes for rod. It is a little longer than desired but it was my choice because of power and action.

I am considering downgrading a couple rods, simply because I have realize a high end combo is not needed for every technique I fish. Hope this helps!!
    Last edited by NathanDLTH; 02-27-2024 at 06:43 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234