Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Surprisingly the thing I use it the least for are Dark Sleepers..... But that's because I tend to throw 3/4 oz and 1 oz Dark Sleepers and swingheads up here on the St Lawrence and the top end of the DS weight range feels a bit overloaded to me so I use my Daemos for these. On the DS I mostly throw small swimbaits on Flashy Swimmers, Su-Spins and plain jig heads but I've also used it for the Duo 90 and 100 spybaits when the smallies abandon the shallows and head to the deeper stuff. It's probably a really good 3/8 Jackhammer rod but I haven't really tried that.....yet.....

Since you said you like to fish with the higher end gear, its really easy to leave the Perfect Pitch behind for a P5 Tequila Baccarat - it will do for everything the PP does and then some. This past winter/spring at Toledo Bend was the first time I used the TB for "the big and heavy stuff" and it was a champ. I used it for a-rigs, S-Waver 128 and 168s, football jig, c-rig, 8XD, 10XD and Whopper Plopper 110s and 130s. I have 2 reels and 3 spools setup for use with the TB. I wanted to see how much under the 3/4 oz weight rating I could go and a 3/8 Jackhammer was OK but a 1/2 oz was fine. I'll use it this summer for a frog.
    I’ve heard the DS is a pretty good swim jig rod too and handle spinnerbaits decently. Thoughts or feedback?

Yes, I love my P5 TB! Before I had it, it was the Orochi XXX Destruction that handled a lot of the applications you’re mentioning. It’s really a great frog rod and a bigger flipping/pitching jig rod I’ve found. I also have the Triza Dragoon which is very similar to the P5 TB, 1/2-3oz but two tip sections regular and fast. Both these rods cover a lot my heavier techniques and provide versatility.

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    I’ve heard the DS is a pretty good swim jig rod too and handle spinnerbaits decently. Thoughts or feedback?
    It would probably be OK with a swim jig but I've never tried it. I use a XX DS-R (or 3) for swimjigs. My only real concern with the DS-R would be if the 4.5 power has enough oomph get a good one out of the grass.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    It would probably be OK with a swim jig but I've never tried it. I use a XX DS-R (or 3) for swimjigs. My only real concern with the DS-R would be if the 4.5 power has enough oomph get a good one out of the grass.
    Yes, that is my concern too. I have an EMTF and DS-R as well, but I’m rethinking the DS truthfully. I’m constantly jumping back and forth smallies and largies so it’s a bit tough at times.

4. Member
    Ok, I'll throw you a curve ball or maybe a slider sir.

I have a new Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare RS IRSC-70MHR-SXF Dire Wolf Wild 7 RS casting rod (cork handle version) on order since the good folks on the TT Enthusiast forum swear by this rod for presenting 1/2-1.25oz Jackhammers. It appears the Dire Wolf RS is in the same category of rod power as my beloved Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR as both rods are rated to present a maximum of 3oz, so it will definitely have the pure oomph for at least casting the bigger Jackhammers, we'll just have to wait and see how it actually does with retrieving and hooking smallmouth bass.

In a pinch, I'm certain the Wild Wolf could pitch swim jigs into heavy cover and extract them out with no issues either.

Of course, I decide to order a new high-end JDM rod right before the biggest national holiday week in Japan AKA "Golden Week", so it might be a couple of weeks before I get this potential gem of a rod to help me with my Jackhammer addiction!

If you wish, I can share rod balance pictures and initial impressions when the rod arrives, as the Jackhammer bite is still a few weeks away where I prefer to fish for smallmouth bass around my lake cabin.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    Ok, I'll throw you a curve ball or maybe a slider sir.

I have a new Evergreen Kaleido Inspirare RS IRSC-70MHR-SXF Dire Wolf Wild 7 RS casting rod (cork handle version) on order since the good folks on the TT Enthusiast forum swear by this rod for presenting 1/2-1.25oz Jackhammers. It appears the Dire Wolf RS is in the same category of rod power as my beloved Evergreen Rapid Gunner RSR as both rods are rated to present a maximum of 3oz, so it will definitely have the pure oomph for at least casting the bigger Jackhammers, we'll just have to wait and see how it actually does with retrieving and hooking smallmouth bass.

In a pinch, I'm certain the Wild Wolf could pitch swim jigs into heavy cover and extract them out with no issues either.

Of course, I decide to order a new high-end JDM rod right before the biggest national holiday week in Japan AKA "Golden Week", so it might be a couple of weeks before I get this potential gem of a rod to help me with my Jackhammer addiction!

If you wish, I can share rod balance pictures and initial impressions when the rod arrives, as the Jackhammer bite is still a few weeks away where I prefer to fish for smallmouth bass around my lake cabin.

Please have a great day!
    Think that’s a little out of my budget…. But an excellent rod for sure!

6. Member
    No worries, sir! It is a curve ball after all.

I want to see what the hype is about since it took Evergreen more than two years to perfect this rod for the Jackhammer beyond the Hercules glass rods, they put out with the input of Brett Hite.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Well I’m going with my gut on this gents. Starting the process of thinning the herd. Listed most of my Orochi’s and Levantes on Facebook this morning before church. I have a pretty good idea of what rods I’m grabbing, I’ll do my best to keep y’all informed on my choices.

8. Member
    Well I’m going with my gut on this gents. Starting the process of thinning the herd. Listed most of my Orochi’s and Levantes on Facebook this morning before church. I have a pretty good idea of what rods I’m grabbing, I’ll do my best to keep y’all informed on my choices.
    I applaud your decision to try this approach sir!

If you might want to "sample" any of the prospective rods on your list, please PM me and we can go from there.

Please have a great day!

Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    I applaud your decision to try this approach sir!

If you might want to "sample" any of the prospective rods on your list, please PM me and we can go from there.

Please have a great day!
    I will absolutely do that! Thank for such a generous offer!

10. Member
    Do you have any personal experience with the following rods:
    P5 Madbull, Dark Sleeper
    Steez Utility Player, Power Pitch

Talk me through the TS Poker? This rod interests me, but not as a frog rod.
    You mentioned owning the Conquest 905-talk me through this rod from positives and negatives, what it does well vs what it doesn’t.

This is idea of mine comes from Ben’s video. I really like the idea of 6 or 7 rods that do everything I need them do and not spending hours rigging rods, spooling line, and tying baits.
    The last part of this post is what keeps me with more rods in my boat than I likely need, ie re-rigging and re-tying on the water. I hate the thought of wasting time on the water constantly changing what I have tied on versus just picking up a rod and running... That said, I have 18 to 20 combos in my boat that take up space and create clutter, which is also creates challenges while on the water. I always feel like I am in a catch 22, too many rods, too many applications I fish with fewer rods.... That said, the money I have tied in combos would likely look much better in my bank account and my fishing success/effectiveness would likely not change one iota..... Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by MainelySmallmouth View Post
    The last part of this post is what keeps me with more rods in my boat than I likely need, ie re-rigging and re-tying on the water. I hate the thought of wasting time on the water constantly changing what I have tied on versus just picking up a rod and running... That said, I have 18 to 20 combos in my boat that take up space and create clutter, which is also creates challenges while on the water. I always feel like I am in a catch 22, too many rods, too many applications I fish with fewer rods.... That said, the money I have tied in combos would likely look much better in my bank account and my fishing success/effectiveness would likely not change one iota..... Good post.
    Re-tying doesn't bother me as much versus respooling reels. I find myself using the same rods and the same techniques, but the rods will be versatile enough to handle other techniques. I'll be posting updates how the my line up is going.

I’m searching a medium powered rod(casting), that allows for cranks and jerks but can still handle some single hook baits. Thoughts? Gary from TT recommended the Steez 6’9 ML/Fast but I feel it’s a little soft for what I want.

I’m searching a medium powered rod(casting), that allows for cranks and jerks but can still handle some single hook baits. Thoughts? Gary from TT recommended the Steez 6’9 ML/Fast but I feel it’s a little soft for what I want.
    The Steez AGS 6'9" "Universal Light" is not a Medium Light, it's a solid Medium powered rod. This rod is extremely versatile and does a great job with treble baits and does handle lighter single hook baits extremely well.

Time for an update:

Spinning rods are looking like this:

1) Orochi XX Whipsnake & Kage MQ LT
    neds, drop shot, finesse swimbaits, and jerkbaits

2) Steez 7'1 Med/Fast Utility Player Spin & Tatula LT SS CXH-3000
    Shaky heads, fineese jigs, neko, etc...

Casting
    1) Orochi XX EMTF & Daiwa Zillion SV 6:3
    Reaction bait rod primairly

2) Steez Utility Player 7'3 MH/F
    jigs and t-rigs, spinnerbaits and chatterbaits

3) P5 Super Destroyer
    Primarily docks or shallow cover, secondary moving baits

4) Steez Bottom Contact II w/ Tatula LT Limited
    Jigs and dark sleepers, I think this might work for texas rigs

5) P5 Tequilla Baccarac
    Frogs, Magdrafts, smaller glides 1-2oz range

6) Steez Universal Light (hasn't arrived yet).
    Primarily jerkbaits and small treble hooks

Soooooo I ended up with one more rod then I planned on, my goal was 6-7 rods but it looks like I'll have 8 total unfortunatley. That being said, since I live in Minnesota have a medium and medium light spinning rod is almost a necessity for me and the same can be said for jerkbaiting too but jerkbait fishing isn't just popular to Minnesota but what is is how we fish them. Guys will toss them on a baitcaster, others are spinning rod only, the choice is yours. I am really looking forward to this project because lets be honest, this is a project in understanding how each rod plays in my arsenal, what techniques it's used for, and how versatile they are. As for the rods, well some I know them well and others I am still getting aquainted with and I'll share some prelimary thoughts on them.

P5 Tequilla Baccarac-what do I say? This rod simply does it all and has a ton of potential from frogging to jigs to big topwater or to even bigger baits. I love this rod and how it feels in my hand, paired with the Bantam MGL or Zillion HD, it's hard to find anything this rod won't do within it's range.

Orochi XX EMTF.... where do I start? So far this rod has far surpassed my Levante EMTF in terms of detecting bite, loading up on casting and handling fish when underload. I am looking forward to getting more time on the water with this rod, I think with braid this rod might do well with 1/4-3/8 texas rigs or shallow water (6-12ft) football jigs. Just loving it!! Is the Madbull a better choice? Maybe if I'm toss 1/2oz and up for baits, but rarely do I feel the need for a 3/4oz jackhammer. The old Zillion SV feels at home on this rod, this reel was my entry into high end gear.

Whipsnake has far exceeded my expectations in terms of handling a charging smallmouth and pairing it with the Kage MQ LT was the perfect choice for this rod. I do not know if there is a better reel for the price I've paid for it. Been tossing some jerkbaits on her and fineese swimbaits along with 110s and 110 jrs. The fullsize 110s feel a bit much, but the 110 jrs are excellent on this rod. Hopefully when the Mississippi comes down, I'll get more oppurtunity to chance those footballs I love catching so much.

The Steez Utility Player Spin is a 7'1 Medium/Fast spinning rod, this is my go to rod for tubes and all that fineese baits that require a little more power setting the hook. Not a ton of time on the water with this rod, but it feels good in the hands. I'm still not 100% on this, but time will tell. She has all the goods in all the areas, but maybe a touch to fast for my liking.

Time will tell how this holds up over the course of the season and into the fall then winter because we fish in the winter up here. You might notice only have the rods were covered, that's because more time is required with the others before actually sharing my thoughts on them. If you're thinking about downsizing or looking for a handful of rods to fish with because that's all you/need for you, great! In all honesty, I'd love to be at the 6-7 rod mark however I am at 8 for now. Hoping to continue to update this through the course of the year. Hope this helps if you're looking for info on rods, arsenal size, what rods do what, or just like learning/hearing what others are doing.

15. Member
    Totally agree with you on the Kage MQ reel. I have two, both of them I upgraded drag washers to carbon fiber stack and added three more bearings, and to me this reel is smoother than any other reel you will pick up, at any price point. Daiwa definitely knocked it out of the park with this reel and I will slowly be converting more of my setups to this reel.

You are the second person I have read that is really singing the praises of the whipsnake. I may have to try it. How's the sensitivity of that stick compared to other sticks you have tried in this category?

16. Member
    Last spring I decided 22 combos (not counting rods without a reel or catfish stuff) was too much and I needed to thin the herd a bit. Sold some stuff and got down to 18 by Fall, was pretty proud of myself. Fast forward to now and I have 25, soon to be 26 combos. The struggle is real

17. Member
    Time for an update:

Spinning rods are looking like this:

1) Orochi XX Whipsnake & Kage MQ LT
    neds, drop shot, finesse swimbaits, and jerkbaits

2) Steez 7'1 Med/Fast Utility Player Spin & Tatula LT SS CXH-3000
    Shaky heads, fineese jigs, neko, etc...

Casting
    1) Orochi XX EMTF & Daiwa Zillion SV 6:3
    Reaction bait rod primairly

2) Steez Utility Player 7'3 MH/F
    jigs and t-rigs, spinnerbaits and chatterbaits

3) P5 Super Destroyer
    Primarily docks or shallow cover, secondary moving baits

4) Steez Bottom Contact II w/ Tatula LT Limited
    Jigs and dark sleepers, I think this might work for texas rigs

5) P5 Tequilla Baccarac
    Frogs, Magdrafts, smaller glides 1-2oz range

6) Steez Universal Light (hasn't arrived yet).
    Primarily jerkbaits and small treble hooks

Soooooo I ended up with one more rod then I planned on, my goal was 6-7 rods but it looks like I'll have 8 total unfortunatley. That being said, since I live in Minnesota have a medium and medium light spinning rod is almost a necessity for me and the same can be said for jerkbaiting too but jerkbait fishing isn't just popular to Minnesota but what is is how we fish them. Guys will toss them on a baitcaster, others are spinning rod only, the choice is yours. I am really looking forward to this project because lets be honest, this is a project in understanding how each rod plays in my arsenal, what techniques it's used for, and how versatile they are. As for the rods, well some I know them well and others I am still getting aquainted with and I'll share some prelimary thoughts on them.

P5 Tequilla Baccarac-what do I say? This rod simply does it all and has a ton of potential from frogging to jigs to big topwater or to even bigger baits. I love this rod and how it feels in my hand, paired with the Bantam MGL or Zillion HD, it's hard to find anything this rod won't do within it's range.

Orochi XX EMTF.... where do I start? So far this rod has far surpassed my Levante EMTF in terms of detecting bite, loading up on casting and handling fish when underload. I am looking forward to getting more time on the water with this rod, I think with braid this rod might do well with 1/4-3/8 texas rigs or shallow water (6-12ft) football jigs. Just loving it!! Is the Madbull a better choice? Maybe if I'm toss 1/2oz and up for baits, but rarely do I feel the need for a 3/4oz jackhammer. The old Zillion SV feels at home on this rod, this reel was my entry into high end gear.

Whipsnake has far exceeded my expectations in terms of handling a charging smallmouth and pairing it with the Kage MQ LT was the perfect choice for this rod. I do not know if there is a better reel for the price I've paid for it. Been tossing some jerkbaits on her and fineese swimbaits along with 110s and 110 jrs. The fullsize 110s feel a bit much, but the 110 jrs are excellent on this rod. Hopefully when the Mississippi comes down, I'll get more oppurtunity to chance those footballs I love catching so much.

The Steez Utility Player Spin is a 7'1 Medium/Fast spinning rod, this is my go to rod for tubes and all that fineese baits that require a little more power setting the hook. Not a ton of time on the water with this rod, but it feels good in the hands. I'm still not 100% on this, but time will tell. She has all the goods in all the areas, but maybe a touch to fast for my liking.

Time will tell how this holds up over the course of the season and into the fall then winter because we fish in the winter up here. You might notice only have the rods were covered, that's because more time is required with the others before actually sharing my thoughts on them. If you're thinking about downsizing or looking for a handful of rods to fish with because that's all you/need for you, great! In all honesty, I'd love to be at the 6-7 rod mark however I am at 8 for now. Hoping to continue to update this through the course of the year. Hope this helps if you're looking for info on rods, arsenal size, what rods do what, or just like learning/hearing what others are doing.
    Sounds like you have a great start on this journey of discovery sir! I'll keep a close eye on this effort as I'm curious how it will compare to using a technique or even lure specific rod and reel approach like I do and see where there may be opportunities to be more efficient in my own fishing efforts!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evilcatfish View Post
    Last spring I decided 22 combos (not counting rods without a reel or catfish stuff) was too much and I needed to thin the herd a bit. Sold some stuff and got down to 18 by Fall, was pretty proud of myself. Fast forward to now and I have 25, soon to be 26 combos. The struggle is real
    I'm sure I didn't help earlier this spring by encouraging you to buy that like new Evergreen Rapid Gunner HD rod either sir?

I've long since given up trying to fight the struggle bus concerning having lots of JDM rod and reel combinations, I just try to use the appropriate rod/reel combination for what I think the fish are doing on each fishing trip and let it be.

I'm very curious where this thought exercise will go and if the tenet of using more generalized fishing rod and reel combinations pays off compared to using technique specific rods and reels over the length of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by MainelySmallmouth View Post
    Totally agree with you on the Kage MQ reel. I have two, both of them I upgraded drag washers to carbon fiber stack and added three more bearings, and to me this reel is smoother than any other reel you will pick up, at any price point. Daiwa definitely knocked it out of the park with this reel and I will slowly be converting more of my setups to this reel.

You are the second person I have read that is really singing the praises of the whipsnake. I may have to try it. How's the sensitivity of that stick compared to other sticks you have tried in this category?
    Yes, the Kage MQ LT is by far the best reel for its price point.

The Whipsnake is a 6’11 medium light/fast designed for drop shot and neds. I’m running 10lb braid to 10lb flouro leader, it’s everything you want: light, sensitive, responsive, and a good action. The only rods comparable I hear are the Xprides. The Whipsnake is just different, but worth it as it doesn’t unload when fighting fish.

Quote Originally Posted by evilcatfish View Post
    Im hoping to keep myself to 8 or less, these rods are far more capable then I’m skilled.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast