Sabine River in Orange

Im new to the area and will be fishing the Sabine river near orange. Any tips on running the river safely and do I need to take any extra precautions with my boat trailer since its not aluminum? Im not 100% sure if the water has salt. Thanks for any input.
    Basscat Caracal
    Mercury 225 ProXS 2 stroke
    Mercury Fury 4 24P

2. Member
    The river is usually good but can be tricky headed north. There’s a couple flats than can extend 20’ from shore lime but you really have to try to hit them. Stay center of river until you get a good feel for it. Always watch after flood, sometimes you can see a tree coming down the river. Headed south is usually clear just don’t cross the warning signs going into cow bayou.

3. Member
    The Sabine River is brackish water and I have launched many painted trailers (bass boats) over the years. I always rinse the trailer and flush the engine once I return home. Never had an issue in 40 years of doing this. As already said, just run the center of river and keep your eyes open looking for any floaters and you will be fine. Just take your time the first couple of trips until you get familiar with the river. Many miles up the river it is narrower in places and more challenging to run, but can be done if you pay close attention.

4. Member
    Look for the weekly tournaments out of the big launch off Simmons drive. But bring your “A” game. These guys are good!

5. Member
    Dont enter the conway bayou cutoff unless you want to damage your boat. There is multiple sunken ships out there just beneath the surface that have caused alot of boat damage over the years. Its just south of the Simmon drive boat ramp where the river will split 3 ways. The far left split is conway, you will see a couple camps on the left hand shoreline. The middle will take you to the intracoastal heading into lousiana. And the right split will continue you down river towards adams bayou and cow bayou. Everything else is pretty easy running.