Removing Trim Tabs on my 2015 RT 188

I have read over time and in different forums about the pros and cons of removing the trim tabs on a RT 188. I finally decided to give it a shot. Mine is a 2015 w/ 2015 Merc Pro XS (2 stroke), 6" JP. Full tank of gas, two people and normal load of other equipment. With trim tabs on it would do a touch over 42 mph (using Mercury Vessel View). Yesterday without trim tabs (using Mercury Vessel View) hit 47.0 at 5250 rpm's at WOT with a bit more bow lift. I assume if I could figure out how to get all my RMP's (5,800) It might even run faster??? I'm no expert when it come to that. Normally I would have to trim mine down some going around a bend or it would slide some. Yesterday I went around a bend trimmed up without the trim tabs and it slide a lot more. So back to trimming it down some around bends. Anyway, overall very happy I did it!!!!

Have a good one and thank God for it!

2. Member
    What prop are you running? Those hulls came with 21" Lasers. I got same results, so went to 20" Laser and got 5700 at hole #3. I wasn't satisfied with the stern lift and cornering, so I got a 19" X7 Spitfire. She came alive. Full load is 43.5 and light is 45.4. I have a port console, so I'm 125# heavier.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    What prop are you running? Those hulls came with 21" Lasers. I got same results, so went to 20" Laser and got 5700 at hole #3. I wasn't satisfied with the stern lift and cornering, so I got a 19" X7 Spitfire. She came alive. Full load is 43.5 and light is 45.4. I have a port console, so I'm 125# heavier.
    Are those results with or without the tabs? I'm running the 21 Laser II. At hole number 2. I have a JP so I can raise it if need be. I have a 20 Laser and am going to see what that will do. Is yours a 2 or 4 stroke?

4. Member
    What did you use to grind tabs off. Thinking of doing to my. 2015. Runnung a 20 cupped lazer with 4 in set back . 45 to 46 gps at 5600

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Following this thread. I have trim tabs on mine, run 42-43 by myself with a 90 hp Optimax and gave about 300 rpm available.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tin wacker View Post
    What did you use to grind tabs off. Thinking of doing to my. 2015. Runnung a 20 cupped lazer with 4 in set back . 45 to 46 gps at 5600
    My tabs were about even with the end of my trailer. I used a grinder with a metal cutting disc for the rear weld and had to use a Dremel Tool with a metal cutting disc for the front one The grinder was too big to get to that one. Then get a 40 grit flapper disc for the grinder to take the remaining welds off.

7. Member
    Are those results with or without the tabs? I'm running the 21 Laser II. At hole number 2. I have a JP so I can raise it if need be. I have a 20 Laser and am going to see what that will do. Is yours a 2 or 4 stroke?
    With tabs and Optimax ProXS. Mine came at hole#2, so lift your JP to same level as #3. You'll be happier with the 20". You should be cruising at 5000-5200 and WOT 5500-5750.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

8. Member
    Thanks sounds good

9. Member
    Staying stock for now. 44 fast enough for me, good luck.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

10. Member
    I have driven and been in both type of RT188 boats....with the tabs and without. None of them had jackplates so that could change my experiences.

But in these boats without jackplates, the ones with the tabs make for a lot better on-water experience.

The ones without the tabs would slide on a sharp turn, and the rear end slide is VERY noticeable as compared to one with the tabs. The tabs correct that problem.

Also, the boats without the tabs would porpoise a LOT when trimmed up very high. Once again, I have never been in one with a jackplate and this might change things. I have tabs and can trim up all the way.

The boats without the tabs are probably one or two MPH faster if you have a jackplate. But what is the big deal with that. If you did not have a digital speedometer on your graph, you could not tell one being faster than another. How many drive WOT very much anyway.

If you have a JP, and you want to squeeze every tenth of a MPH out of it... go for it. I had rather have the grip in a sharp turn.

I do not have a JP and my tabs are staying on. If I had one then maybe I would give it a thought. In my opinion, tabs make it a better boat. Who cares if you go 45 or 44. Wind and weight positioning and the prop you run make a lot more of a difference.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    I have driven and been in both type of RT188 boats....with the tabs and without. None of them had jackplates so that could change my experiences.

But in these boats without jackplates, the ones with the tabs make for a lot better on-water experience.

The ones without the tabs would slide on a sharp turn, and the rear end slide is VERY noticeable as compared to one with the tabs. The tabs correct that problem.

Also, the boats without the tabs would porpoise a LOT when trimmed up very high. Once again, I have never been in one with a jackplate and this might change things. I have tabs and can trim up all the way.

The boats without the tabs are probably one or two MPH faster if you have a jackplate. But what is the big deal with that. If you did not have a digital speedometer on your graph, you could not tell one being faster than another. How many drive WOT very much anyway.

If you have a JP, and you want to squeeze every tenth of a MPH out of it... go for it. I had rather have the grip in a sharp turn.

I do not have a JP and my tabs are staying on. If I had one then maybe I would give it a thought. In my opinion, tabs make it a better boat. Who cares if you go 45 or 44. Wind and weight positioning and the prop you run make a lot more of a difference.
    With or without a JP (with tabs) the rear end of mine would slide. It does slide more without them. But either way I had/have to trim down in a curve. I gained 5 mph which is quit a bit and a bit more bow lift. I don't know if the JP made a difference or not. But the speed and lift before and after the JP was the the same with the tabs on. Take care!

12. Member
    That is a good gain. These tabs have been discussed here for several years with people removing them or some adding them as the first RTs back 9 or 10 years ago did not have them. Everyone I have ever seen report on grinding them down all these years has ever reported only a 2 MPH gain or so. I have never seen a report in your range. Nice.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    That is a good gain. These tabs have been discussed here for several years with people removing them or some adding them as the first RTs back 9 or 10 years ago did not have them. Everyone I have ever seen report on grinding them down all these years has ever reported only a 2 MPH gain or so. I have never seen a report in your range. Nice.
    I would have been disappointed with a couple mph gain for sure. I did it because on the Alum. Ranger FB page there were several getting good results so I took a chance.

14. Member
    Took it out today by myself.
    vessel view results.JPG