Southern Cross Crappie

198p Transducer mount

Replaced my factory transducer mount on the stern with a high speed mount. After several months of wondering about lost speed, took a good look and realized the ducer was about 2" below the bottom of the boat. Any guesses as to how much better it'll perform speed wise when I move it up after the mounting block arrives? I'm betting 5mph!

2. Member
    What are your speeds now?

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

3. Southern Cross Crappie
    High 40's now.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab orchard renegade View Post
    High 40's now.
    Something is definitely wrong with your setup. While you might want to correct that transducer placement, I doubt that alone is keeping you from the boat's full speed potential.

Is that speed you are reporting from your analog speedometer or from Vesselview or a digital Merc Monitor gauge?

5. Southern Cross Crappie
    GPS. Boat ran low to mid 50's early on. It's not that loaded down. I'm betting on the transducer. We'll see.

6. Southern Cross Crappie
    Got the transducer moved and got on the water. Picked up 5 mph (GPS) and got the boat back on plane properly. Amazing.

7. Member
    This is good to know. I put on new electronics over the winter and thought that my transducer that Ranger put on was too low. So I raised the new one a little bit. My boat performs way better this year. But I also had my welds grinded down. Probably a mix of both things. It's crazy on these boats, how the littlest things can make it run so poorly.
    2017 Ranger 198p w/ Merc150 4stroke

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab orchard renegade View Post
    Got the transducer moved and got on the water. Picked up 5 mph (GPS) and got the boat back on plane properly. Amazing.
    Excellent! Glad you got the speed back.

9. Southern Cross Crappie
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerguy35 View Post
    This is good to know. I put on new electronics over the winter and thought that my transducer that Ranger put on was too low. So I raised the new one a little bit. My boat performs way better this year. But I also had my welds grinded down. Probably a mix of both things. It's crazy on these boats, how the littlest things can make it run so poorly.
    I really is amazing how one thing can affect performance so much. It was pretty windy and and a little rough yesterday so I'm betting I can get another mph out of it on a good day. A little embarrassed that it took me so long to take a good look at that transducer.