Loose Reel Seat Repair

I have 2 older Shimano Crucial casting rods (the black ones) that have have the split reel where the butt end of the reel seat spins to tighten down the reel. Well over the years the front half has pushed forward from pressure caused by tightening the reel on, and now has begun to come loose on the rod a little.

I love the rods and hoping to come up with a good way to repair and reset the front part of the reel seat, but I have no experience in rod building. Anyone have any tips?

I can post some pictures later tonight if that would be helpful.

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

2. Member
    Loose front part of a split is easy. Just get it all the way loose, slide it up the blank a little and reseat it in it's original position with some Rod Bond (slide it up the blank, clean/pick off any of the original epoxy, put some Rod Bond on the blank, slide the front part back over it...twist it to get good epoxy coverage, center and position the front part after you twist it, clean up the excess epoxy with IPA and a paper towel and let it cure).

You could try some regular 2 part like Gorilla Glue epoxy but something like Rod Bond would be better.

3. Member
    Thanks for the suggestion. That's much better than having to remove the rear pary of the reel seat and split grip.

I'll have to look but the bait keeper may be in the way from sliding the front part all the way forward. Would it be possible to do this if I can only move it half way ouy the way tp apply the Rod Bond.?

Brett Graham
    Louisville, KY
    L\'raisin Anglers

I've had good luck with drilling a small hole into the plastic of the reel seat and taking a syringe and shooting some rod finish or any two part epoxy really into the hole and just keep the seat lined up where you want and let it dry. Obviously what ww4f said would be the best option but if you don't want to disassemble anything.