Thread: 189 vs 1880

Question 189 vs 1880

Anybody know what the differences between the 189 and 1880 are? Speed, draft, fishability.

2. Member
    I looked at both, and after about 30 seconds the 189 was off the list.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

3. Member
    Us too! Not that there's anything wrong with the 189.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    2021 Vexus AVX 1880 Summit White
    115 Mercury ProXS
    Ultrex
    Twin HBirds
    Garmin 93
    Garmin Livescope

I was able to test drive both and was kind of leaning 189 so I drove it first. I docked it, walked across the dock and drove the 1880. I docked it and got out, shook the salesman’s hand and said “you just sold a boat, now I have to figure out how to get you paid.”

The main difference is the hull shape and this translates to ride and front deck configuration, there’s way more room on the 1880. The next thing that immediately pops in my mind is the size of the storage lockers on the back deck, the ones on the 1880 are at least 2x as large if not more so.

This choice is definitely going to be easier if you can get a ride in both. The price difference was worth it for me.

5. Member
    Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
    I was able to test drive both and was kind of leaning 189 so I drove it first. I docked it, walked across the dock and drove the 1880. I docked it and got out, shook the salesman’s hand and said “you just sold a boat, now I have to figure out how to get you paid.”

The main difference is the hull shape and this translates to ride and front deck configuration, there’s way more room on the 1880. The next thing that immediately pops in my mind is the size of the storage lockers on the back deck, the ones on the 1880 are at least 2x as large if not more so.

This choice is definitely going to be easier if you can get a ride in both. The price difference was worth it for me.

6. Member
    There is nothing wrong with the 189. I am sure it's a very well built solid boat. But there is a lot more storage in an 1880, and the layout was a better fit for what we were looking. Between the 189 and a Ranger RT188, we would have chosen the 189. Thought the fit an finish was better on the Vexus. I never got to the pricing of a 189 vs an 1880.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

BigEasy how was the speed between the 2? I do like the layout of the 1880 better. I'm wondering what the draft difference is between them, if the 1880s hull design and I think about 200 lbs heavy made a huge difference or not.

The big pond/small lake I was on wasn’t big enough to let them run. It wouldn’t have been a fair comparison because the 189 had a 115 Zuk and the 1880 had a 135 E’Rude.

Additionally, speed is of little concern to me as my home lake has a 35 mph speed limit. However, I did choose a 115 Zuk for my boat.

9. Member
    Not sure about the speeds on 189, but my 1880 has topped out at 50.3 with just me in it and perfect conditions a time or two. It'll do right at 48 with me and a fishing buddy that weighs about 3 bills, and me around 240, packed with gear and gas. I don't run WOT very often, ain't in that big a hurry. I generally cruise right around mid 30's to 40ish.
    There is nothing wrong with the 189. I am sure it's a very well built solid boat. But there is a lot more storage in an 1880, and the layout was a better fit for what we were looking. Between the 189 and a Ranger RT188, we would have chosen the 189. Thought the fit an finish was better on the Vexus. I never got to the pricing of a 189 vs an 1880.
    2021 Vexus AVX 1880 Summit White
    115 Mercury ProXS
    Ultrex
    Twin HBirds
    Garmin 93
    Garmin Livescope

10. Member
    I looked at both also and the opposite was for me. I bought a 181 actually. Different strokes different folks. Both are good boats. My buddy bought a 1880 a few weeks later. We both catch fish. We both have same exact electronics. His boat is shaped different. He stores his 40 rods different than my 6. He gets to spots quicker than me like by 5 secs.

all am saying is both are good boats. I didn’t want a longer boat. I didn’t even want 18 feet. I didn’t want all the weight of a huge motor hanging of the back when I only need to go 30-40 miles an hour. Oh and btw my 181 with a 75 only on it can hit 42 with my and my buddy in it. We are a mostly electric lake area. Few gas motor places but my boat has no problem in those waters.