Another Gel Coat Thread...

I have a couple of very small gelcoat repairs that I want to make in the top cap.

Has anyone used the Spectrum Patch Repair kits? They have some Champion white colors listed, but nothing specific to 2007. I looked through the boats original paperwork and brochure and everything just says "White".

Curious if anyone has had success from an off the shelf kit to match the white color around 2007.

2. Member
    I am doing mine and had to tint to get a close match. I bought brown, black, and yellow pigments and white gel from totalboat. Had to experiment alot but got dialed in very close. If you want I can pm you my number and talk to you on what I did

3. Member
    I too have a 2007 206 and also wanting to do the same thing on white top cap. Would greatly appreciate any help.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDBlair View Post
    I too have a 2007 206 and also wanting to do the same thing on white top cap. Would greatly appreciate any help.
    For the materials, I used:
    Totalboat Gelcoat White No wax.
    Mek-P
    Totalboat Pigment Dispersions in Yellow, Brown, and Black
    Small plastic dropper bottle for the Yellow Pigment https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...les/p/80933419
    Popsicle Stick Type paint mixing sticks
    PVA Mold Release
    Measuring cups, 1 oz, 1 qt

To get the color match where I needed it. I measured out 1oz of Gelcoat and worked from there adding pigments a little bit at a time. I added the pigments by breaking the popsicle sticks into three or four long pieces so they had a good point on them. I would dip the tip into the pigment put drops onto a whole unbroken mixing stick. and then mix that into the 1 oz of Gelcoat. It will take a lot of experimenting and a good idea to get it right. I had my wife, my son, and I all looking at my samples under multiple light conditions to get it where I wanted it.

Surprisingly there was quite a bit of Yellow pigment compared to the other two. My final formula which I worked up to 4oz batches of Gelcoat is 1 big drop of yellow pigment from the small plastic bottle dropper. then 16 small drops of black and yellow painted on to a mixing stick using the broken mixing stick method. I'll try to make a quick video to show what I did to make it easier to see what I did.

5. Member
    Jeff, this is great information!

I would not think that there is so much color other than white. My boat looks pretty dang white to me.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicapopolis View Post
    Jeff, this is great information!

I would not think that there is so much color other than white. My boat looks pretty dang white to me.
    Mine too, when you see how white the pure white gelcoat is though you'll understand the tints. The pure white is super bright