2011 SHO 250hp Trim issue

Looking for some trouble shooting ideas before heading to the shop for what I think should be a simple fix.. My outboard trim sometimes stays engaged when the motor is fully trimmed down. This happens when using any trim switch on the boat. Trim motor will become stuck on and run for 10-30seconds while fully trimmed down. I'm new to Yamahas and not sure if this is a common problem. Thinking of changing out the relay. Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Member
    If you bump the up switch does that stop the pump motor from running?

3. Member
    No it does not. Usually just stops forcing downwards until it decides too

4. Member
    Sorry yes it does stop the motor. But does not engage the up trim and as soo as I release from the up direction it continues to force downwards

5. Member
    Sounds like a failing relay. But before ordering a replacement I would verify that all of the switches are working correctly. If you need thoughts as to how to do that, holler.

6. Member
    Thanks for the quick responses and ideas! much appreciated.

7. Member
    Update for anyone else that has a similar problem. Replaced the trim relay which was about $450 CAD directly from Yamaha. Easy job for those that aren't mechanically inclined. The relay is located on the top, starboard side of the motor. Remove the cowling and its plug and play from there. you'll need a 10mm socket and short extension to complete the job. Take a pic of the relay first, then just hook up the cables to the same terminal as pictured on the old relay. 10-15min job. Also great idea from yam911 simply unplug your trim switch under the cowling to confirm that it is the relay and not just a faulty switch which I've read is fairly common as well and a new switch is only about $65 so you may save yourself some money.