Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nicapopolis View Post
    Lots of guys store their boats under a cover in their driveway. You are probably safe if in a good area.

With that said. I would be ripping out that fence and shrub right now and put up a new fence ASAP.

That's looking like the solution, actually had a flier in mailbox today for company working in neighborhood doing yard maintenance, cleanup, etc - must be a sign.

Other option is remote/flat storage somewhere close I suppose.

For now took it to my buddies place - he's got an fenced RV shed I was able to put it under temporarily.

2. Member
    Not great, not great at all.

3. Member
    I was a young guy living in Winter Park, FL. with my wife. We lived in an apartment and the parking lot was not in front of the apartment. That didn't stop me from buying my first Skeeter from a dealer in Cassleberry. Back then they didn't come with the fancy covers or maybe I was cheap and bought one of those fit all canvass travel covers. Of course that meant taking everything but the outboard up to our second story apartment.

That boat sat outside for four years. To make things work for the boat I worked two jobs to afford it.

Even though that boat represented a very large out pour of cash that was the only way I had to store it. Outside, no rain proof cover and out of sight. You know what when I finally bought a house four years later and could store it in a garage it still looked like the day I bought it.

My point is you have more advantages than I did. A better cover and a yard. The boat will not melt being outside. You have some good option I didn't have. A possible solution would be a cement pad and roof beside your garage. Certainly sitting in the yard is far better than I had for four years.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

4. Member
    08 Triton TR-21 Mercury 250 ProXS

lol trust me, as a single guy, if I didn't have mechanicals on my back wall, I would really consider cutting a motor cubby into that spare bedroom...

6. Member
    Get it into the garage anyway you can.

7. Member
    Mine sits outside covered with a good quality cover, driveway is not level but slope is not bad after extending my drive a bit and adding about 4 foot of concrete. Chock off the wheels and it doesn't move. Like the idea of some wood to put under the front wheel to get it a bit higher as when I attach to the boat some water runs out of the trailer frame.

Get yourself a fan to put under the cover so you can move some air when it gets wet outside, help keep the mildew down.

8. Member
    Looks like your driveway has seen better days.
    Get it repaved and pave over the grass on the side. You can even sink a chain so you can lock your trailer to it.
    So much fun spending other peoples money. lol
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fx20 2011 View Post
    I was a young guy living in Winter Park, FL. with my wife. We lived in an apartment and the parking lot was not in front of the apartment. That didn't stop me from buying my first Skeeter from a dealer in Cassleberry. Back then they didn't come with the fancy covers or maybe I was cheap and bought one of those fit all canvass travel covers. Of course that meant taking everything but the outboard up to our second story apartment.

That boat sat outside for four years. To make things work for the boat I worked two jobs to afford it.

Even though that boat represented a very large out pour of cash that was the only way I had to store it. Outside, no rain proof cover and out of sight. You know what when I finally bought a house four years later and could store it in a garage it still looked like the day I bought it.

My point is you have more advantages than I did. A better cover and a yard. The boat will not melt being outside. You have some good option I didn't have. A possible solution would be a cement pad and roof beside your garage. Certainly sitting in the yard is far better than I had for four years.
    It's pretty funny how many guys on here are convinced their boats will be trashed if they are stored outside, even with a nice boat cover. As long as you keep a good coat of UV protection on it, and try to keep the compartments dry, it really isn't a huge deal.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

10. Member
    I keep mine at the local storage place under a cover

$100 a month

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rod View Post
    Looks like your driveway has seen better days.
    Get it repaved and pave over the grass on the side. You can even sink a chain so you can lock your trailer to it.
    So much fun spending other peoples money. lol
    This is also under consideration - my neighbor did the same thing, which is why his butts right up on the property line.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    It's pretty funny how many guys on here are convinced their boats will be trashed if they are stored outside, even with a nice boat cover. As long as you keep a good coat of UV protection on it, and try to keep the compartments dry, it really isn't a huge deal.
    I agree. I like my boat, but not enough to sacrifice my garage.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

I agree. I like my boat, but not enough to sacrifice my garage.
    For me it's not so much the outside aspect, but the being right on the street with exposed electronics, as well as the incline (which there is a workaround). Being in the garage would be nice but just not possible in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by dramabeats View Post
    I keep mine at the local storage place under a cover

$100 a month
    lol heading out this afternoon to look at a few options as a short term solution while I decide about side yard, paving a spot, etc ;)

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    True but you have to stay up on the maintenance. After the newness wears off, many don’t. They just use and park it and boats can get old real quick when used like that so it is key to stay up on the maintenance.

16. Member
    Build a lean to carport from the existing garage and gravel the yard where you park, later you can concrete.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutspinner View Post
    True but you have to stay up on the maintenance. After the newness wears off, many don’t. They just use and park it and boats can get old real quick when used like that so it is key to stay up on the maintenance.
    Thats a fair point. I generally take mine out at least once every few weeks, so it’s not like it’s gathering moss. Plus wiping down after use with speed wax every few trips, it stays pretty protected.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Just an update, got a secure lot spot temporarily, and getting some quotes...

$400 to remove the shrub
    $2200 for a 10x30 concrete pad
    Need to track down the fence people next week...

I also have an inclined driveway. Putting my Skeeter MX1825, tandem axle, in the garage is not even a thought. To keep it jacked up past level I had to make a couple 2x12 stacked boards for the front wheels to sit on so the back could drop. Added a second jack (BPS) and stack concrete garden blocks under both of them. All tires are chocked. The tongue is about chest high. A pita but only way to make it work as there is no other place in the yard to park it.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

20. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I like my boat, but not enough to sacrifice my garage.
    I am the exact opposite. I just returned from 5 months down south and for the first time ever my boat was not kept under a roof. I found out very quickly that I really hate having to deal with boat covers and I also really missed being able to sit in the boat and putz around on the days the weather wasn't so nice.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast