I guess i need some tube tips

I want to try tubes the whole year if possible. I have yet to catch a fish on 1. I believe i have retied a couple times. I am using the stupid tube head and i don't think ive been hung up 1 time. That is the appeal for me anyways. So i have noticed a lot of li e twist. Well Monday after several casts the line would twist over the rod b4 i could cast. And eventually it wrapped and snapped on a cast. Any advice?
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

2. Member
    Tubes with lighter jigheads will spiral to the bottom when sinking on a slack line . If you are jerking them up off the bottom during the retrieve same thing happens creating line twist.
    I started using stupid tubes and their jigheads last fall and noticed the line twist occurring . I saw a video made by Secret lures where they say their tube is designed to be dragged across the bottom . When the tube makes contact with a rock or obstruction on the bottom and stops you're supposed to give it a pop with the rod which will cause the tube to shoot free and dart erratically imitating a fleeing crawfish or minnow and hopefully getting eaten . Since I started dragging the stupid tubes I have noticed a whole lot less line twist .

3. Member
    Try Texas rigging them instead. I use a 3/16 or 1/4 weight and peg it and use the Eagle Claw tube hooks (link below). Typically use a 4 to 4.5" tube and catch a lot on them. Have one tied on all year.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Eagl...cpage-LTH.html

4. Member
    I use either a tube jig or texas rig them. Never dealt with much line twist with either and I have a tube tied on all the time...
    Fish have fins, they swim

5. Member
    My Input.Texas rigged works but Tube gurus will tell you that the best bite is when it spirals down .Light as weight as possible.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    My Input.Texas rigged works but Tube gurus will tell you that the best bite is when it spirals down .Light as weight as possible.
    He speaks the truth
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    He speaks the truth
    Honestly depends on location. We do through 3/4 oz tubes quite often on the great lakes.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammy19 View Post
    Honestly depends on location. We do through 3/4 oz tubes quite often on the great lakes.
    It definitely does depend on location. Anywhere that gobies are the most prevalent food source I try to keep the tube on the bottom. Gobies never go above 1’ off the bottom..

on lakes where crayfish and other bait is the most common food source, a slow spiral is best or hopping the tube.

i really like Turbo Tail tubes the most, followed by SK coffee tubes and BPS tender tubes. The turbo tails spiral the most
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Are you throwing it on casting gear or spinning gear? What kind of line?

One thing that I learned the hard way about a stupid tube is that you have to HIT them when you set the hook, else it's an exercise in frustration. I started throwing them on casting gear for that reason. Braid is very helpful for eating up line twist in any tube application, in my case I do braid to a 16 lb leader for stupid tubes. If the twist still gets too bad, it never hurts to cut it off and let the line hang behind the boat for a while to let it straighten out.

As others suggest, Texas rigging one will stop that spiraling at least somewhat. I think the erratic, spiraling fall is why tubes (and stupid tubes) can be so effective though.

I've not tinkered with weight as much with stupid tubes as I have with regular tube jig setups as the cover usually dictates what you can and can't do, but for what it's worth, I've found that in my "normal" tube fishing it seems like either end of the spectrum is best. In other words, it's one extreme or the other: a slow, erratic fall, or having it rocket down and smack the bottom. That's not to say I've not had luck in between, but I try both extremes before I try something in the middle. For me that's usually 1/8 oz for the slow fall, 1/2-3/4 oz for the fast fall.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Baitcaster. 12lb line. Im using the stupid head to avoid hangups and Yes, i thought the point was for it to spiral. So i probably need to cut the line each day.
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

11. Member
    I have smoked good fish on a Texas rigged black neon Strike King Coffee tube for years. I've fished through areas with other baits and hardly a bite, then brought out the tube and hammered down! Always rigged up in the rod locker and almost always on the deck! It got me 2 checks last year.
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

12. Member
    black neon color is so under rated!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    He speaks the truth
    The spiral action is what gets a lot of reaction bites. Texas-rigging kills that action. Best way I've found to get the great spiral action and yet weedless is the Owner Phantom Tube Hook 1/8 oz. It is more center-weighted to get the right fall/action. Lazy fall, spiral, weedless.... I throw on a baitcaster to eliminate as much line twist as possible. Usually 12 pound, sometimes 10 pound fluorocarbon to get a good, uniform sink rate.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    The spiral action is what gets a lot of reaction bites. Texas-rigging kills that action. Best way I've found to get the great spiral action and yet weedless is the Owner Phantom Tube Hook 1/8 oz. It is more center-weighted to get the right fall/action. Lazy fall, spiral, weedless.... I throw on a baitcaster to eliminate as much line twist as possible. Usually 12 pound, sometimes 10 pound fluorocarbon to get a good, uniform sink rate.
    You can t rig with these and a wide gap hook.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Yama...page-YSTW.html
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

15. Member
    wvbassmaster here on BBC pours weedless tube jigs like Oldham's. I've used them for the past couple years and love them. I also use "sled" heads poured by Northbranch Custom Tackle out of PA. He has a FB page and very responsive to messages.
    I fish for river smallmouth. I'm not concerned with the spiral fall as much as I'm wanting to keep the tube on the river bed to imitate a crawdad hiding under the rocks. These jig heads allow me to pop the tube free. Seldom do I hang one up that I can't get back

16. Member
    Teh best spiraling fall I ever got from my tubes was with an original Gitzit head in a light weight ( 1/8 oz).

When I started using tubes, I used the Shaw Grigsby hook, which became the Eagle Claw tube hook mentioned above. If you set the hook, whether you get a fish or a snag, the clip tears the nose of the tube, so I quit using them. For a normal 3.5" tube like Guido Hibdon used so much, I settled on a 3/0 Gamakatsu G-Lock hook or 3/0 Owner EWG (same exact shape and size) with a glass tube rattle inside. The heavy wire hook and rattle move the center of gravity aft and make them do a nice spiral fall. Killer for skipping under docks, willows, and overhanging brush. Threw a lot of them on spinning tackle. My advice is to ignore the rattle after the first shake...it'll still rattle once in a while.

I've pretty much stopped using tubes for skipping, because a wacky rigged Senko just skips better. If the water is smooth enough, skipping is an excellent way to cast a bait up to the front edge of reedbeds and such. I've also done well by throwing tubes onto overhanging grassy banks, pointing the rod straight at the bait and slowly reeling to pull the bait off the overhang...BAM!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

18. Member
    When I flip a tube for LM it's texas rigged (and black neon is my favorite color)...when I'm fishing for smallmouth the vast majority of the time it's either a 2.75" tube with a 3/16 head (M spinning, 8lb flouro) that I'll drag or hop a little or a 3.5" tube with a 5/8 + oz head (MH baitcaster, 15lb flouro) that I'm ripping off the bottom.

19. Member
    I texas rig on straight 40Lb. braid at night in summer. Line twist is not an issue & the smallmouth thump them. If using mono or copolymer you can use a 1/4 ounce weight & get a good spiral. I always hang a rattle on mine.

20. Member
    Tokyo rig 2/0 ewg cut the wire about halfway add ear plug. Completely different action, no line twist, line doesn't get chewed up as much, it's my go to.