Hydraulic steering 2003 201 xl

My steering has developed this twitch when on plane. I turn the wheel and it has some resistance to turning the wheel and then all of sudden it gets really easy then back again to the resistance. Watching youtube vids it says to shake the engine while on the trailer and if it wobbles you have air in the system. I did that and it showed a small amount of side to side movement. I was expecting a lot more. While on trailer I moved the steering wheel and there seems to be a lot of play in the turning before anything happens at the motor. I don't know if I have that same play while in the water and motor running. Researching the bleeding of the system it shows a bleeder port in front of the steering where you hook a bottle of fluid to. I could not find this fitting. It must be behind the dash. I have a tilt steering wheel installed so I assume the fitting I am looking for must be hidden. Any advice would be appreciated. Got a St Claire trip coming next Sat and would like to have this resolved by then.

2. Banned
    This is a safety issue so have it confirmed but sounds like air in the system.... look up the adding fluid
    and bleeding procedure on sea star sight

Look on top of the console shroud under the windshield for the fill port. It does sound like air, but check it out as already suggested.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO

4. Member
    1. Check fluid at driver console. Look under the console as come systems have a clear hose and you should see fluid in the line
    2. Look for fluid leaking at the trim cap/steering rods.

If you have leaking fluid at the seal caps the seals are bad or the rod has wear. I have tried replacing the seals and it still leaked. I replaced it with new seal caps that come with the oring seals installed.

Link is how I bled my system,

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....970&highlight=

5. Member
    Thanks guys. Waiting for a bleed kit to show up before I do it. BBC is great for gaining info. I saw that fitting before under the windscreen and wondered what it was. Kit was only 15 bucks on ebay.

7. Member
    Got my kit and performed the bleeding procedure. Testing it tomorrow. Really easy procedure.

8. Member
    If it wasn't leaking it wouldn't lose fluid. It's easy to do the rebuild.