Thread: Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?

I recently bought a 2014 Z9 and really like it. I have learned that the Oxygenators are a standard feature (installed by Nitro) and not aftermarket. In doing some research I found that the Oxygenators are wired into the live wells’ recirculating pumps and they only operate while it’s recirculating. Why wouldn’t you want them wired directly to a battery and operating full time, not just when the recirculating pumps run? It seems to me if the Oxygenators only come on when the recirculate pumps come on it defeats the purpose of having oxygen pumped in the live well the entire time fish are in there. If you set the recirc on low, the Oxygenators only operate for a minute or two every 6 minutes. Even the installation and operating instructions for the Oxygenators call for them to be installed directly to a battery since they are water activated to come on. What am I missing?
    2014 Nitro Z9, Mercury 250 Pro XS, Solix 12’s at console, Solix 12 at bow, Minn Kota Untrex, Garmin 8610 with Garmin Livescope, Minn Kota Talons.

2. Member
    used when boat is pulled out of the water with fish in live well. when on the water pumps are supplying oxygen with the water spray.
    2015 189 trx

3. Member
    I see how it would be beneficial to run Oxygenators while the boat is out of the water or trailer with fish but why not run it the entire time the fish are in the well on the water or off? Still questioning why you wouldn’t want as much oxygen in the wells as possible when you have fish?
    2014 Nitro Z9, Mercury 250 Pro XS, Solix 12’s at console, Solix 12 at bow, Minn Kota Untrex, Garmin 8610 with Garmin Livescope, Minn Kota Talons.

4. Member
    I’m thinking the generators needs some water flow to be effective which is why they only work with the pumps. From what i see in the instructions they are wired direct to the battery.
    Last edited by jb882; 04-20-2022 at 08:20 PM.

5. Member
    The generators only need to be covered in water to activate / turn on. They don’t need “flow” to work properly.

6. Member
    Mine have off/on switches but that is a new added option with the new rigs.

7. Member
    That makes much more sense. I actually rewired mine directly to a battery. I want them running the entire time I have fish.

8. Member
    I was told that running the oxygenators all the time without fresh water coming in can over oxygenate the water, killing fish. That's why they are wired like that. So water will flow along with the oxygen. Who knows?

9. Member
    I run mine all the time with fish in the wells. Have a switch so they are on whether a pump is on or not.
    2017 Nitro Z21
    2017 250 Pro XS T2 (SN 2B401909)
    Bravo 1XS 26P
    BMS 12" Action Jack
    Ultrex 112# - Solix 12 - 12' Talons

Club: lunkersunlimited.net

Not everyone wants to run the oxy gens. if you did it on the fill circuit they would be forced to run these. Think of friends who live in saltier water climates.

It was an option to have the oxy gens on a switch so you could run these all the time.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team