Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lake of the Ozarks in Late July or early August? Family trip

Looking at meeting some family somewhere. Considering Lake of the Ozarks... About 11 hours from the front range of Colorado.

Will have a 7 and 8 year old boy along with wife then my Mom also. Found a couple places Laurie area and one has a covered boat lift.

Fun time of the year to be there? Heard it gets a LOT of boat traffic in the summer.

Any tips on this "vacation" if its even worth visiting that time of the year

Thanks as I have never been

2. Banned
    I can tell you if you'll be there on the weekend it will be ROUGH!

You'll find stuff to do in the lake area for sure.

https://visitbagnelldam.com/director...ies/fun-stuff/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Missouri.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Missouri.html

3. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Beautiful lake and LOTS of stuff do for everybody...

take your surf boards...

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

4. Member
    You'll have fun. It is okay during the week. You'll find out what everyone is talking about on the weekend though. It gets rough!

5. Member
    Crazy on the weekends! Beautiful area.

6. Member
    If the place is in a cove away from the main channel would be best. Water will be pretty calm and you can swim and enjoy time on the dock. There's not much to do in the Laurie area but you can take the toll bridge to Lake Ozark and Osage Beach and there is plenty to do and a lot of good food there.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    Looking at meeting some family somewhere. Considering Lake of the Ozarks...
    If I was choosing a lake I would go south to Table Rock. It's busy don't get me wrong but it would be a LOT more enjoyable on the water. Plenty to do around the lake as well. Enjoy Table Rock while you can because in 10-15 years from now it will be the same as LOZ.

8. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BalsaBee View Post
    If I was choosing a lake I would go south to Table Rock. It's busy don't get me wrong but it would be a LOT more enjoyable on the water. Plenty to do around the lake as well. Enjoy Table Rock while you can because in 10-15 years from now it will be the same as LOZ.
    i agree here,, plus you have Branson and if people can't find a good time there they might as well stay home.........

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

9. Member

Ya looks nice but not many places to stay on the lake. Let alone on the lake with a lift.
    Unless I need to dog deeper than Airbnb and VRBO....

Thanks fellas

10. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    We rented this house for a week several years back in July and had a great time.
    https://www.lakeexpo.com/advertorial...41c1749bd.html

Dale Sinclair original

Quote Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
    Ya looks nice but not many places to stay on the lake. Let alone on the lake with a lift.
    Unless I need to dog deeper than Airbnb and VRBO....

Thanks fellas
    My friends own Lazy Lee's Resort. Not sure about a boat "lift" but they definitely have stalls. Great place....great people...best pizza on the lake. They may be booked but give them a call.

12. Member
    I second all of the above...I have a place at mm 85 (mostly fishing boats) which is way up the lake, nothing like the Laurie area and it even gets busy on the weekends. Have you considered Branson? Lots to do and Lake Taneycomo is an excellent trout (and bass) fishery. Look up Lilley's Landing. They are just outside of the main events area, have covered boat slips and very nice cabins & relaxing facility. I've stayed there every year for the past 19 years. Good luck.

13. Member
    Great time to come. During the week it's pretty relaxed on the water, on the weekends it can get busy and rough and I mean rough at certain parts of the lake. You can still fish all day on the weekends though if you want. I usually start out main lake in the morning and when the boat traffic kicks up there are so many coves and cuts you can dive off into that hold fish all year long. Besides fishing, there is a lot to do with your family and plenty to see.

14. Member
    We live outside of Laurie (mouth of the Gravois). Great eating places in the area, but lacking for kids stuff. You can go to the east side for stuff for the kiddos to do. Weekends will be rough (water).
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

night fishing???? place gets rougher than 36 grit sandpaper during the w/e
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

16. Member
    Take your wife to party cove... She'll enjoy it.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Take your wife to party cove... She'll enjoy it.
    Blind fold the boys

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    We rented this house for a week several years back in July and had a great time.
    https://www.lakeexpo.com/advertorial...41c1749bd.html
    Little out of my price range.

My friends own Lazy Lee's Resort. Not sure about a boat "lift" but they definitely have stalls. Great place....great people...best pizza on the lake. They may be booked but give them a call.
    Looks very nice but all booked up. Thanks for the idea

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milligjg View Post
    We live outside of Laurie (mouth of the Gravois). Great eating places in the area, but lacking for kids stuff. You can go to the east side for stuff for the kiddos to do. Weekends will be rough (water).
    Looks like its about 30-40 min to some of the towns? Assume they have more to do..

Fish early, do tourist stuff in the afternoons... That or come to Branson, lake will still be busy, but more stuff to do that isn't boating and drinking...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast