Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tracker, Xpress, Ranger, or Vexus

So going to starts shopping for used tin boat soon. Used 18 or 19 footer with a 150-175. I have had a 17 foot tin Lowe for years. I will do the opposite of the BBC way and be financing and my budget will be around 35K. I do not have any experience with any of these boats. I really like the look of the Vexus but that might not be the best option for me. I live in North Jersey where all of our lakes are small and occasionally go up to Champlain, down to the Susquahanna Flats, or run over to Candlweood Lake. Not planning on doing tournaments either, but would like to take my kids (middle-school aged) and some buddies from time to time so I dont want something that the whole boat leans to one side when the guy in the back is on one side or another. I would also like a padded front deck because I have planter fasciitis
    Last edited by cwenbass; 04-19-2022 at 09:29 AM.

2. Member
    To get a new tin rig rated for a 150-175hp, you will likely need a bigger budget for Ranger, Vexus and Xpress. Tracker is prolly your only new option in your budget. You MIGHT find a used boat in those 3 brands with a 150-175hp for less than a new rig... but in this sales environment maybe not.

If you are willing to go with a boat rated for a 115hp, then you will have options for new boats within your budget.
    Last edited by Johnnyred; 04-21-2022 at 07:57 AM.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

3. Member
    Vexus and Ranger boat's motors are too small for their size. A Tracker 195 with a 150hp is a good combo, Xpress is better but they also cost a whole lot more, If money wasn't an issue that is what I would go with.

4. Member
    Whoops. I meant I would be shopping for a used rig.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Vexus and Ranger boat's motors are too small for their size. A Tracker 195 with a 150hp is a good combo, Xpress is better but they also cost a whole lot more, If money wasn't an issue that is what I would go with.

5. Member
    Just saw your budget of 35K. A Tracker 195 with a 150hp pro XS a 24v Ultrex and dual 8 foot Powerpoles is what I would get for that.

6. Member
    I think they are all good boats. I have been in all of them. I am in a Ranger because I got an amazing deal on it. If they were all the same price, I would probably buy a Vexus. With your price point, you are going to be picking between a ranger and tracker. And a Ranger is a superior boat to the tracker boat imo. You can almost buy a brand new Ranger 198p for 35k. Vexus boats are my favorite tin boats right now though. They just come with a hefty price tag. Same with Xpress. But I do think they are made better.

To answer your question about leaning. My 198p is very stable while fishing. I have had 3 people on it and never had an issue. Just have to watch with people casting. If you are wanting a padded deck, I don't think any of them offer it. But I could be wrong. The vexus carpet does seem thicker than my Ranger though.
    2017 Ranger 198p w/ Merc150 4stroke

7. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    My preference is in my signature below; however, there is not a thing wrong with the Tracker option, they are solid boats, and that will be the budget friendly option.
    Vexus are for sissies who just want to look pretty and have people comment on their boats. I would never pay that much for something I'm going to be running up creeks / rivers in 1 foot of water...

My advice - any of the boats above are fine, just stick to your budget, but, get the max HP your budget will allow...

Good Luck.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

8. Member
    Don't think you need a boat with a 150 to fish small lakes and rivers. My RT188 has been the finest boat I've owned in 40 years, particularly with the TM down.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Just saw your budget of 35K. A Tracker 195 with a 150hp pro XS a 24v Ultrex and dual 8 foot Powerpoles is what I would get for that.
    lol…. Maybe 2yrs ago.

Fishing the BFLs as co-angler, I've had the pleasure in fishing in 3 out of the 4 you list.

I've rode and fished out of the high-end Tracker, the Ranger 198T, and Vexus 2080. Out of all of them, the Ranger was the best and driest ride. The vexus had a bigger back deck, and was likely a better fishing platform - but not by much. The ride in the Vexus was disappointing...rough and wet.

Tracker was a downgrade in the manufacturing and components, but it did its job.

My last BFL I fished out of Crestliner...it was very nice, and it wasn't even the top-of-the-line (I believe the MX19). It was a nice ride and fishing platform, with a very wide fishing deck up front.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Don't think you need a boat with a 150 to fish small lakes and rivers. My RT188 has been the finest boat I've owned in 40 years, particularly with the TM down.
    Oh, I agree on all points, especially the TM thing... But yeah, should be some nice used RT188's out there and it's a fabulous rig w/ a 115. The Tracker 190 w/ a 115 is a nice setup as well. I'm not sure about pricing on the Crestliners, guy in our club has the Pro V Bass and it's a beast...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

12. Member
    I cannot say enough good stuff about the Ranger RT188. And it is a dry ride if you know how to drive it. In a 20 MPH wind, you will get some spray, but it is from the wind blowing water back at you... it is not from the hull.

The RT 188 fished from the front deck better than any boat I ever owned and is a deal for the money. Perfect choice for medium sized lakes of about 10,000 acres and under and rivers. If I fished these huge 40,000 acre reservoirs, I would buy glass.

I am retired and fish a lot...a WHOLE LOT. I have put hours and hours in the driver's seat and on the front deck of the RT. I would not hesitate to buy another one. My only concern would be a new one with Bass Pro owning them now. I would likely find a good used one. I like the Xpress too.

On medium lakes and rivers, I would rather have the RT than any big boat made.
    Last edited by FloridaFlyer; 04-20-2022 at 10:58 AM.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

13. Member
    I only have experience with the Tracker PT190 and don't have a bad word to say about the other brands. I can only say that I've had my PT190 for four years and never a moments disappointment with it. Good ride in choppy water and no equipment failures of any sort. With the 19 pitch X7 prop and the motor raised to the third hole it has good hole shot and gets 49 MPH (GPS) fully loaded. If I had to do it over I would buy it again.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

14. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    SHOUT OUT to the OP...
    Someone on Tin forum just posted his RT188 for sale....
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

15. Member
    I think I saw this but not sure what I am getting yet and Texas is real far.
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    SHOUT OUT to the OP...
    Someone on Tin forum just posted his RT188 for sale....

16. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Some reference data for you, I called my Dealer for prices on new RT188's:

> New RT188p w/ 115 ~ $35-36K
    > New RT188 w/ 115 ~ $32-33K
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

17. Member
    Check the Lunds as well, I really like the layout of the new renegades.

I would go Tracker for what you are wanting. If that does not appeal to you get a Ranger RT188. I have had 9 Trackers of various configurations with the PT185 being my favorite. Also, as mentioned above my RT188 was one of my favorite boats of all to date, especially trolling motor down. I just today am going to a new brand, picking it up next week, Avid 20XB with a new 200SHO. This one should take over the number one spot in short order.

19. Member
    I have never heard of Avid boats
    Quote Originally Posted by PT180 View Post
    I would go Tracker for what you are wanting. If that does not appeal to you get a Ranger RT188. I have had 9 Trackers of various configurations with the PT185 being my favorite. Also, as mentioned above my RT188 was one of my favorite boats of all to date, especially trolling motor down. I just today am going to a new brand, picking it up next week, Avid 20XB with a new 200SHO. This one should take over the number one spot in short order.

Need to look them up. A step up from Vexus, company started by a former Vexus engineer and has a family history in the boating manufacturing industry. Lots of good engineering differences from Vexus like .125 aluminum on the 20XB, the entire boat not like now just the bottom of a Vexus 2080.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast