Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Mercury 200 EFI about to drive me crazy!!!!

Bought a boat with a 1999 Mercury EFI 200 Blue Water. Boat ran great but had an occasional alarm issue (over heating buzzer) but the boat was not overheating. The alarm only happened randomly and at higher rpm. Took the boat to the local Mercury dealer and they suggested replacing the high pressure fuel pump, the pressure regulator and rebuild the VST. I had them go ahead and do the water pump as i had no record of the last time it was done. They suggested to replace the wiring harness as well. When i picked the boat up everything had been completed but the wiring harness. The mechanic stated he had found the short that was causing the alarm and i was good to go. Well from that day on the boat has not ever run the same. The alarm was still there and the engine was now surging or "hunting" between 1500-3500 rpm. The motor idles great and run good at WOT but anything in between is not happening. So returned the boat only to spend a few hundred more dollars and was told the problems were corrected by replacing a fuel line. To the boat out again and the same problems exist. I returned it to the dealer a few more times before the manager told me they really don't specialize in motors this old. I have now sunk $4,800 in this motor that probably is not worth much more than that and still have same problems that did not exist when i originally brought it in. I solved the alarm problem as the alarm module finally crapped out. I replaced it and have not had any alarm issues since. I feel like the problem may be caused by water restriction in the exhaust, or something with the fuel system. below is the information and what i have checked so far.
    Serial Number - 0g897236

These items done by the Mercury dealer at the original trip to the shop.
    replaced both fuel pumps
    rebuilt VST
    replaced water pump
    replaced fuel lines
    These items done by me after my frustration with the dealer
    Replaced plugs and wires
    Replaced Thermostats
    Replaced Alarm Module
    Replaced engine oil tank cap and sensor.
    Compression on all but 1 cylinder 100psi, the one cylinder is 95 psi
    plugs all look about the same with no signs of fouling
    Fuel pressure with key on is 35 psi
    Fuel pressure running is 35 psi
    Fuel pressure drops when turned off.
    I have ordered a replacement check valve for VST to oil line connection.
    Also the stream from the tell tale is not very strong. It has plenty of pressure on the gauge and does not overheat but just a small stream coming out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    ​​​​​​​Sean

2. Member
    so am i understanding that you took great running 200 in for a warn horn and they replaced fuel pumps/wirring and such and it runs worse and now 4800 later they dont know what the he11 they are doing as claimed by manager id be crazy and probly mad as a sob , thats a damn shame ;;;;; questions ;; were any modules removed advance or idle stabilizer , how much does fuel psi drop , all link and sync done correctly , all sensors and switches set and verified , vst checked for over flooding , WHAT plugs are in mtr need number , what is fuel psi doing when engine surges , tuner in place and tight,water psi at idle and wot, answer these and report back
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    oh welcome to BBC , hang in there we'll find it trust me
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Sean, it says you are from texas. By chance, close to longview tx? Just saying......
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

5. Member
    BLUE WATER prob coastal

6. Member
    ok so i will try my best to answer what I can at the moment and answer the others as I confirm the status.
    1. no modules have been removed that I know of.
    2. Fuel pressure dropped from 35-36 to 30 as soon as the pump shuts off (I am assuming). a couple of minutes and it dropped to 30psi and continued to fall slowly to 25 psi after 5-10 minutes.
    3. I have not checked the link in sync to date, will do asap
    4. i have tested the oil level switch, oil pump switch, the temp switches have both been replaced, water alarm tested good and i replaced the alarm module (fixed random alarm)
    I have not tested the detonation sensor (Not sure if i have the tools), have not tested TPS (about to order the test harness)
    I have not checked the VST for overflow
    5. Plugs are NGK BU8H
    6. I have not taken the fuel pressure readings while on the water. I will this weekend.
    7. Not sure what you mean by tuner? If you mean the ecu yes, it is in place, plugged together securely and i will check to make sure it is tight asap.
    8. Really have not paid attention to the exact water pressure (other than looking to make sure water was flowing) but I believe around 5psi at an idle and 15psi WOT. or at least these are what the gauge says.
    9. I retested compression on all cylinders following the proper procedure and all cylinders were at 110PSI. (Big difference have warm engine, all plugs out and WOT)

I have rebuilt a carbureted Yamaha 115 years ago (complete overhaul down to crank bearings) and it is still running today. This is my first fuel injected outboard. I am very familiar with car engines and have built many engines and even dabbled in a little LS tuning, I am mechanically inclined, but please be patient with me as these old 2 strokes aren't exactly car motors.
    Thank You Very Much for the assistance.
    Sean

When you replace the check valve, there will be air in the line. Make sure you run premix oil/gas until you are confident that all the air is purged. I marked my oil level(big tank) and ran premix until I saw the oil level go down. If your oil line is clear to check valve, you can see the bubbles.

Tuner is in exhaust
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

8. Member
    +1 ^^^^^ ,spin on filter replaced ???? surely they could do that right , make sure all fuel line connections are not restricted by inside liner folded , you'll do fine you need to get a serv manual would help you alot and save my fingers

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    you need to get a serv manual would help you alot and save my fingers
    And by that Joe means a genuine Mercury service manual not a generic one.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    ok i have checked the following to date......
    tested spark on all cylinders individually
    conducted link and sync per manual (WOT was way off)
    timing is set 6* ATDC and 20*BTDC
    ordered DVA meter to further test ignition system
    motor still has idle stabilizer and detonation modules (are these needed, or should they be removed?)
    waiting on harness to arrive to check TPS (really thinking this is my problem)
    will lake test tomorrow off external tank and also check timing advance at WOT.
    Spin on filter replaced by me late last year
    not sure exactly how to check VST for overflow?
    Tuner is in place.
    Attempted to test knock sensor but have no continuity to ground at all (even when tapping it)
    i am located near Houston TX (not exactly close to Longview)
    Thanks again
    Sean

11. Member
    remove modules set max at 23 btdc , remove the vent hoses from top of vst pump bulb and start engine ,no fuel should exit fittings on vst , does not sound spark related problem

12. Member
    So I was able to check the TPS and had no reading when turned fully clockwise. i was able to get it to .250v but the full throttle voltage is only 5.6v (I even removed it and turned by hand) and there was a few spots on the low side that the meter went offline for split a second. Before I dump $700 on a new one..... does this make sense?
    Sean

13. Member
    it does make sense ,readings should be smooth and steady increase , by your test its faulty

14. Member
    vst vent.pdfSo I installed the new TPS. Boat runs a lot better but still have surging issue between 2-3k rpm. I have attached a video of the tach on the boat while it was surging. Also I have a few questions....
    1. To get the TPS at .25 volts at idle and 7.6v at WOT it is no where near fully clockwise. see attached pic.... is this ok?
    2. when i pulled the vent hose off the VST there was a small amount of fuel in the line. Although i did not observe fuel coming out while running, the fuel was actually flowing from the hose to the vent. see pic.tps.pdfvent.pdf
    Last edited by sroberts1990; 04-27-2022 at 09:55 AM.

15. Member

The high pressure return hose on the right looks pinched?
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

17. Member
    After looking at it, it is pinched. The Mercury dealer replaced the hoses when the replaced the fuel pump and regulator..... this is when my problems started. How would you recommend fixing this? I have the high pressure fuel hose and will attempt to make a new hose but I'm not sure how to prevent it from pinching with such a tight turn.

The part you circled red, I believe is part of the bleed system that keeps unused fuel from pudding in various places in motor. The overflow hose for vst is between intake and vst close to regulator on intake side. If the float doesn't seal and vst overflows it would go into intake.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

There is a hose kit that is molded to the correct shape. It is pretty $$$$. It should also come with proper clamps. Those 2 hoses are high pressure and shouldn't use worm gear clamps that will leak/damage hoses. Temporarily, you can cut two fuel lines and make a big loop to use. Once you are finished with vst. Then install new hoses last

One last note. Use don or Joe's direction over mine 100% of the time......
    Last edited by Haughton; 04-27-2022 at 11:00 AM.
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

20. Member
    is there any advantage to removing the idle stabilizer and detonation modules? pros/cons?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast