Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Ok I tested the oil cap sensor and it did work with the engine running. The water fuel separator sensor did not work. I verified it was receiving power, it's just not working. The part shows unavailable online. Any suggestions?

2. Member
    tested with engine running wire to filter grounded ????? no led on front observed ???? may take a min for horn to come on , there is a nla parts link for dealers to look up nla parts
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Yes the engine was running and wire to filter grounded. no led or warning horn. actually left it ground for a few minutes at least.

4. Member
    Just wondering if dealer also changed out fuel line from spin on fuel filter to VST? I pulled my line off and attempted to even blow through it , and found it had collapsed inside and wouldn’t allow for engine tl rev over 4000 rpm…it would start to run horrible then eventually stall, The new fuel in todays gas tended to cause major problems with fuellines,,,you must replace all of them or it’s a waste of time looking,,,

5. Member
    So rechecked all grounds and the problem still exist. Brought the boat home and retraced all my steps. Found one of the voltage regulators had the wires melted together. I happen to have a spare and put it on. I understand I need to replace both of them and will do that. Could this be the cause of the problem? Boat seems to lose a cylinder in the upper RPM. All coils are new, checked triggers and stators per manual

6. Member
    is there a specific part number or brand for the replacement bullet connectors?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    We normally use the OEM bullet connectors (Rhonda can provide them if you let her know how many Male and how many Female you require).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Replaced both voltage regulators and cleaned all connections from battery and motor. Took the boat out today and all is well finally! Thank you to all of you for your help and guidance.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    So maybe I spoke too soon..... after taking the boat out on Friday, it ran perfect. We stopped on the way in and filled the tank up for our outing in the bay Saturday morning, got to the boat dock early and put the boat in the water and it was very hard to get started and it would not idle in gear. other than the idle problem it ran great. We spent the day fishing and probably traveled over 50 miles added up. I just don't understand what could have happened from just filling it up. The fuel was bought from a very busy and reputable station. When i got home and proceeded to flush the engine it idled perfect......

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sroberts1990 View Post
    So maybe I spoke too soon..... after taking the boat out on Friday, it ran perfect. We stopped on the way in and filled the tank up for our outing in the bay Saturday morning, got to the boat dock early and put the boat in the water and it was very hard to get started and it would not idle in gear. other than the idle problem it ran great. We spent the day fishing and probably traveled over 50 miles added up. I just don't understand what could have happened from just filling it up. The fuel was bought from a very busy and reputable station. When i got home and proceeded to flush the engine it idled perfect......
    Electrical of something. Had ecu checked out? Thats what id be doing.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are several auto parts stores that have fuel pressure gauge kits, which include a traditional schrader-valve adapter to use with the gauge.

13. Member
    I am looking to replace the reeds with a set of TDR reeds. What parts do i need to order to complete this?
    Sean

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Reeds, Reed plate gasket, Fuel Management to Reed Plate Gasket, some Radius-Head Tie Wraps, blue liquid loctite, a nice sheet of glass, variety of wet-dry sandpaper, and some soapy water.

15. Member
    IMG_6568.jpgIMG_6571.jpgIMG_6576 (002).jpgIMG_6585.jpgIMG_6584.jpgIMG_6583.jpg

I believe I have found the idle problem. I found a broken reed and a chipped reed. I was not able to locate the missing piece, I tried with a camera scope and finally removed the cylinder head. The is a mark on the head at same the cylinder the reed is missing. I am assuming it was passed thru the exhaust. I also discovered a couple of broken magnets on the fly wheel. My plan is to install new reeds and intake stuffers, have the injectors serviced and fix the flywheel or replace it. Should i replace the stator? It looks ok to me but having the broken magnets is a little concerning. Also does anyone know of a good place in the Houston Tx area to have the injectors serviced?
    Sean
    Last edited by sroberts1990; 06-13-2022 at 07:46 AM.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "Cleaning" the injectors is only a very small part of the puzzle. Making sure that they flow the correct volume is just as important. Since this particular injector is prone to VERY high flow problems, be relatively selective.

17. Member
    Do you know of any companies you would recommend? I believe your services are 120 days out when I checked last week, I really want to get back on the water ASAP as its fishing time on the coast and I just enjoy being on the water. I don't mind shipping them I just would like a quick turnaround if possible. I have decided to go ahead and replace the fly wheel, stator, trigger and harness since I'm in there. I read you could just replace the magnets but I'm in this deep a few more hundred isn't going to kill me lol.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, I'll send you a PM.

19. Member
    Thank you again sir!

20. Member
    I want to index the flywheel to verify correct timing on all cylinders, I have the dial indicator but cannot seem to find a write up on indexing the flywheel. Does anyone know the proper process for this?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast