Weird electrical Issues with my Tin Boat

I have a 17' Express with 36 Ultrex and a new 75 merc 4 stroke. Checking things out with a volt meter I found that my boat was a ground. I unhooked all 4 neg. leads one at a time to find a bare wire or something. Still could not Isolate the source of the ground. Touch the volt meter lead to my battery post and the other to the boat and it would read 12.68 volts. After many hours and frustration I unhooked every + and - lead to all 4 batteries. To my surprise I still metered voltage. Like 4.6 volts on the neg post to boat and 6 volts from the positive post to the boat. Called a buddy, he went out and check his tin boat and also read 12 volts from positive post and negative lead to the boat. 12 Volts.... After that it was BEER Thirty!!!!!!! Has anybody else been thru this???

Your motor is grounded to the boat. Yes, if you test the positive on the battery to the boat, you will read battery voltage.
    So any ground wire, can and will ground through the boat and motor. Mind you there is a relative high resistance, but there is continuity.
    Stray voltage could be coming from different sources or a Faulty meter. Also, is your boat on the trailer and the trailer connected to a tow vehicle?
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Legend View Post
    I have a 17' Express with 36 Ultrex and a new 75 merc 4 stroke. Checking things out with a volt meter I found that my boat was a ground. I unhooked all 4 neg. leads one at a time to find a bare wire or something. Still could not Isolate the source of the ground. Touch the volt meter lead to my battery post and the other to the boat and it would read 12.68 volts. After many hours and frustration I unhooked every + and - lead to all 4 batteries. To my surprise I still metered voltage. Like 4.6 volts on the neg post to boat and 6 volts from the positive post to the boat. Called a buddy, he went out and check his tin boat and also read 12 volts from positive post and negative lead to the boat. 12 Volts.... After that it was BEER Thirty!!!!!!! Has anybody else been thru this???

So is there actually an issue / problem you are experiencing? Or just an observation?
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

4. Member
    I'd look at the wire. Many 17s come with a 12v system, so the wire will be much smaller. I'd use 6 guage on a 36v system.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

The trailer is Not hooked up to the truck. The safety chain is not touching the ground. 2 tires and and hard plastic wheel on the Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    I'd look at the wire. Many 17s come with a 12v system, so the wire will be much smaller. I'd use 6 guage on a 36v system.
    I ran my own wire for the 36. 8 gage

Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    So is there actually an issue / problem you are experiencing? Or just an observation?
    Just an observation. But with my new Merc I do not want any problems.

8. Member
    It should be 'grounded' (motor mounts) to the common. You'd have electrolysis problems otherwise.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

9. Member
    I ran into that with my Tacker 185 XT. Unhooked. moved, cleaned, same thing and never changed. That was 2 years ago and no issues to date.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    It should be 'grounded' (motor mounts) to the common. You'd have electrolysis problems otherwise.
    The reason I checked the boat for being a ground is back in December when I was walleye fish I noticed electrolysis on my Ultrex motor. Come to find out the motor had water in it and I thought that was the cause of the electrolysis. Which I'm sure it was. No more electrolysis after getting the troller fixed.

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Legend View Post
    The reason I checked the boat for being a ground is back in December when I was walleye fish I noticed electrolysis on my Ultrex motor. Come to find out the motor had water in it and I thought that was the cause of the electrolysis. Which I'm sure it was. No more electrolysis after getting the troller fixed.
    Had water issue with my MK Fortrex as well, the O-ring on front end of power head was kinked and the bolts were loose. I rebuilt it and it's now fine. I'm planning to measure my battery to hull this evening
    Last edited by King_Fish; 04-21-2022 at 01:52 PM.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

12. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    FWIW at this point, I checked my electrical system isolation from hull last night.

- My TM battery system (24V) is completely isolated from hull.
    - My Main (12V) battery distribution (-) is tied to hull i.e. returned through the OB motor connection, as a wise man stated above...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop