Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    That is about normal for that rig. I tow my Gator Trax with a 2019 Tacoma with the 3.5 l. I have an aftermarket tune which helps with the terrible transmission tuning from the factory. I still get 8-10 mpg towing and every grade is running above 3400 rpm. These motors make their power at high rpm. Not the best setup, but it is what it is. The Taco is rated for 6500# towing but that would be a strain. I'm guessing my rig weighs somewhere around 4000-4300#.
    2021 Gator Trax 21' Strike Series
    Mercury 250 ProXS #3B134663

2. Member
    The tacoma and 4-runner are very different then a highlander in terms of fuel consumption.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Quote Originally Posted by James 10 View Post
    Buy american
    Nice contribution...seriously. Most Toyota SUVs, trucks and Nissan SUVs, trucks are assembled in manufacturing plants here in the U.S.

That's the U.S. of America..."by Americans". People that live here, raise families here and are members of local communities. I'm not going to deny them the opportunity to provide for their families and join the masses of unemployed because a vehicle with an American name has a final assembly point in Mexico or Canada.

Come up with something with a little more substance to the discussion next time.

Generally, midsize and smaller SUVs are geared for "light duty" towing situations. Even though the ratings may indicate 5000 lbs capacity, and it can be done, these vehicles were never designed for serious towing or frequent towing, just occasional situations. Even with the Highlander's V6, proper towing would need to include using the "tow/haul" mode and not using OD. So with the style of boat, taller windshield and driving that part of the country, those numbers could be close to
    realistic.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by James 10 View Post
    Buy american
    How about no?
    '12 Skeeter ZX20 SHO 250 Garmin Echomap Ultra 126SV and 106SV Ultrex.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXSkeeterBells View Post
    How about no?
    right on!

the world is so complex that buy american has lost its meaning. sure your money can go to detroit company who pays US wages but imports parts from Mexico. Keep in mind that company is owned by teh shareholders around the world. Or, you can buy a car from a company in Japan, who pays US wages, and also imports parts from outside the US. Keep in mind that many of us own parts of these companies in Japan.

that we don't manufacture the root parts I see as the main issue. but don't beleive the "assembler" is sourcing all its parts here. If that was true then Ford would not be shipping vehicles without the rear AC working.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

"Buy American" Worn out reply!

There was a time I tried to do that and it wasn't hard to do. Unfortunately if manufactures would build to the quality that the others do then this statement would never be made.
    Just the facts of life today!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

7. Member
    Skeeter is owned by Yamaha a Japanese company so should we stay away from Skeeters?
    '12 Skeeter ZX20 SHO 250 Garmin Echomap Ultra 126SV and 106SV Ultrex.

8. Member
    Not towing my '99 Explorer v8 gets 19-20 mpg @ 73. I towed my 16' camper to Maine before covid and got 12 mpg @ 60-63. Towed my 16' tin bass boat loaded with stuff to FL last winter and got 16 mpg @ 65-68. The frontal area on the camper plus more weight really sucked the gas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12