2022 Patriot 20 performance

Looking for opinions or suggestions. I’m running a 2022 Patriot 20 TRX with a Mercury 4 stroke 250 ProXS with a 23P Fury 3 blade prop. From the showroom, the pad to prop difference was 1-3/4”. Motor wanted to blow out coming out of the hole as the boat noses over. I had to feather the throttle to get it on plane. I put a medium PVS plug in to help with the blowout a little. Once on plane I’m getting low 60’s mph and the boat is very hard to steer left due to prop torque. Following a friends advice I dropped the pad to prop to 3-1/2” (manual slide master jp). Hole shot is great, no blow out,( removed the PVS plug) and speed is upper 60’s to 70 mph. Steering is still a bit tight to the left. My understanding is this is a 72-75mph boat tourney loaded. Dealership is still suggesting going back to 1-3/4” pad to prop, claiming the Patriot 20 tends to like a higher motor set up and that the boat likes to ride high. Any suggestions? Anyone running a similar setup? What kind of numbers are you guys seeing from your setups? ( mph, rpm..) Thanks

2. Member
    This is Triton's recommended rigging specs.

Engine HP AVP Height Motor Bolt Hole Rigging Specifics Jack plate Prop
    Diameter x Pitch
    Prop Type Tracker Part# Hub Kit
    250 Pro 4 Stroke 5" 3rd Hole Plate Raised 3.5" 10" Z Lock 14 X 24 Fury 353135 SSR HD

3. Member
    what is AVP height?

4. Member
    I have the same boat. Mine came with a 24 Fury. I've only got about 10 hours on it. 12" hydraulic plate 3" seems to be the sweet spot, no plugs in the prop. Gets on plane immediately and tourny load so far I've hit 75.2 at Sea level. 800' 74.4. 1400' 72 with a little bit slower hole shot. All close to 6000rpm's. I have not opened it up with a light load yet. I'm guessing I should hit 76-77? Your dealer claim of 1 3/4 I have not seen with my boat. On the other hand my old TR loved it at 1 3/4. I'd say get a 24 unless your above 1500'

5. Member
    I have a 2022 TRX 20 with 250 Pro XS and I have tried a few different ones. So far 23p Fury is best for the summer and I now have a 24p Fury for cooler lower humidity temps. And also have had better results lowering JP to around 2.5”-3” with the fury’s.

6. Member
    Anti Ventilation Plate

It’s the cav plate on the motor.
    Distance is from the Keel of the boat to the bottom of the cav plate.

7. Member
    Most prop guys will tell you that not all props of the same pitch are really the same. Unless a prop is blueprinted, you can't be really sure it is exact. So two different 24 pitch props may give you different results. Motor differences, altitude, humidity, temp, load variables, weight all play a part in boat performance. So I wouldn't get too wrapped around the axle with matching someone else's results. Get what your boat will give you and be happy. I guarantee you that my tournament load is different than yours or Bill's or Tom's, etc. The late great Aaron Martin took great pains to have his props blueprinted and loaded his boat meticulously with the major weight to the rear and always had the fastest Rangers then Phoenix's on tour. Food for thought.