Water flow on startup

200 hp Mercury 2.5L EFI s/n D024368. On initial startup, I dont see any water coming out the telltale. After 39 or 40 seconds, I start to see flow. Should I see water flow immediately or is there no flow until thermostats open?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Telltale comes from the thermostats- there will be (or shouldn't be) any significant flow until, or unless they are open. May come and go as they open and close (as well).

FYI: add a ZERO in front of the "D" (0D024368)

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Okay. Thanks for the info. I assumed the worst when I saw no flow on initial startup.

4. Member
    Thank you for asking and answering this. I came in to ask this same question as I noticed this on my 2012 150 ProXS. No water for first 20-40 seconds but it sounds like this is normal.
    I do have ~3 psi at idle and 11-13 on plane so I think I'm good.
    Thanks

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokinal View Post
    Thank you for asking and answering this. I came in to ask this same question as I noticed this on my 2012 150 ProXS. No water for first 20-40 seconds but it sounds like this is normal.
    I do have ~3 psi at idle and 11-13 on plane so I think I'm good.
    Thanks
    Glad you found it helpful. Please do take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to look through what is required to post, as well as the guidelines for posting. To avoid confusion and/or post hi-jacking, we do have a strict "one engine/poster per thread" policy.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Glad you found it helpful. Please do take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to look through what is required to post, as well as the guidelines for posting. To avoid confusion and/or post hi-jacking, we do have a strict "one engine/poster per thread" policy.
    ^^^^
    Especially important since the Optimax cooling system is different than the OP's EFI and the thermostats have nothing to do with the telltale on an Optimax.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    ^^^^^^+1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Will do...my bad

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    ^^^^
    Especially important since the Optimax cooling system is different than the OP's EFI and the thermostats have nothing to do with the telltale on an Optimax.
    Very good point...thank you