Thread: New Bearings??

New Bearings??

Ok guys need some insight. I have two reels that need new bearings a Shimano Chronarch CI4+ and a 13 fishing Concept A.

I have heard stories of people putting bocas in the old green curados and lately i have been seeing videos of the new Spool Speed bearings. My question is who has done any of these replacements and what has been the outcome? Or should i just try and go back with OEM.
    BassCat PIII
    Mercury 200 EFI

2. Member
    I have used several different brand replacement bearings. They all worked fine, and I would not worry with going back with OEM.

I personally prefer the concept z bearings from 13 fishing. I have not used them on metal components. But at a minimum you should replace the spool bearing and the sideplate bearing.
    Last edited by Jbass2; 04-18-2022 at 10:43 AM.

3. Member
    I put speed spool bearings in a few concept A's (just the spool bearings). I got the reels back in 2014 and replaced the bearings last year and it made the casting distance much better.

Looks like they added some options now vs when I got mine. I believe the SS ceramic is what I installed. The ceramic bearings have a little more noise than a sealed bearing
    Fish have fins, they swim

4. Member
    I recommend the hedgehog zr’s. I just replaced a few with these and was really impressed.
    Dave
    2021 Triton 18TRX, Mercury 200 ProXS-4s
    Lowrance Elite FS, w/ Active Target
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA SI G4N
    Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA DI G4N

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by got2fish View Post
    I recommend the hedgehog zr’s. I just replaced a few with these and was really impressed.
    These, ZPI, or YT Fusion

I agree. The Hedgehog ZR bearings are an excellent, high quality, Japan made bearing. There are a lot of "cheap" junk bearings out there for sure, but both Hedgehog Studio and ZPI make high end bearings that are actually made in Japan.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtonM View Post
    Ok guys need some insight. I have two reels that need new bearings a Shimano Chronarch CI4+ and a 13 fishing Concept A.

I have heard stories of people putting bocas in the old green curados and lately i have been seeing videos of the new Spool Speed bearings. My question is who has done any of these replacements and what has been the outcome? Or should i just try and go back with OEM.
    I have a CI4 and have used Boca A7 stainless steel, Boca A7 OS hybrid, and ZPI. The Boca A7 seem to have the most free feel during a cast. I took out the ZPI and put bocas back in.

8. Member
    I got Boca for most of my reels. I did see maybe 10 more yards casting distance you will need to use oil made for them. They will last longer then standard bearings. I highly recommend.

Bearing changes SUCK. Every time someone has changed bearings they chatter and reduce casting distance. I run factory or get rid of it. No, you won't convince me otherwise either after four reels getting the same problems with two different types.

10. Member
    Thanks for all the responses guys.
    BassCat PIII
    Mercury 200 EFI

11. Member
    Just sell the Shimano Chronarch CI4+ to me ;). Or use the Bocca ceramic bearings if you want it to cast like new. Just be ready they are noisy.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Bearing changes SUCK. Every time someone has changed bearings they chatter and reduce casting distance. I run factory or get rid of it. No, you won't convince me otherwise either after four reels getting the same problems with two different types.

get off my lawn!!
    Proverbs 3: 5&6

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CancerKiller View Post
    get off my lawn!!
    Lol. I’ve never heard anything like this before.

im gonna take a wild guess that the two “different” brands were boca and spool speed