Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I work 5 12 hour shifts every week. I have back issues and nerve issues with my feet. On average, I am sitting at my desk 10.5 hours a day. I have customized my chair with both lumbar bloster and a cushion to help with sciatica.

That said, I get up at least once an hour and make a "lap". 1000 or so steps helps get everything moving, and gives the 👀 a break.

Since I started this job 3 years ago, I am DOWN 50#
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

Drink plenty of water and lay off the snacks. Being active after work helps as well. Winter time is the hardest since you go from sitting all day at work to doing the same thing at home since it's always cold and dark. It's a lot easier after time change in March and you have more day time hours after work. What you put in to your body will affect you the most though.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

Been in an office setting for 25 years. My advice bring your lunch, and exercise in the evenings
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HOGIE View Post
    I work 5 12 hour shifts every week. I have back issues and nerve issues with my feet. On average, I am sitting at my desk 10.5 hours a day. I have customized my chair with both lumbar bloster and a cushion to help with sciatica.

That said, I get up at least once an hour and make a "lap". 1000 or so steps helps get everything moving, and gives the  a break.

Since I started this job 3 years ago, I am DOWN 50#
    You’re able to walk 1000 steps every hour? I wish my company allowed me to leave my desk and walk a half mile every hour and still get paid for a full hour.. I know it’s only about 10min but over the course of the week almost a full days worth of pay. That’s awesome you are able to do that and keep the weight off.

here I sit for roughly 8 hours a day at my office. My company just opened a new location that’s only 15min away from our house which cuts my daily commute by 1.5hrs.. and I worked it out with my manager to do a 7-345 shift. Todays first day in this office so I’m hoping to get in a habit for once I get home I hop on the treadmill or do some type of weight training for a half hour. Even then I’ll still have about an extra hour per day compared to what I used to have. Hoping I can get this habit and keep it
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Stand-up desks have some value but are no substitute for exercise. Even 15-20 mins. of focused physical effort a few days a week can do a lot to boost your metabolism and avoid age-related muscle atrophy.

6. Member
    more sleeping at your desk = less time for snacking

Quote Originally Posted by spoon33 View Post
    Just started an office job about 7 weeks ago where I sit almost the entire 8 hours and have definitely started gaining weight. Old job for 15 years I was on my feet most of the time, walking 3-5 miles daily on average. So with that being said how do you manage your weight and snacking? I have quickly realized I need to start walking outside of work when I get home. Any other healthy tips for people who sit all day?
    1.5 hours of gym Monday to Friday before work, and then something to cycle calories on the weekend if I'm not doing some kind of physical work. So like 30 minutes of bike riding or stretching routine etc. But honestly especially with the spring, I probably burn 5000 calories a day on the weekend doing work around the house. I pre-make all my meals for the day on Sundays and snacks are cut up veggies or healthy fats like a handful of almonds etc. I don't snack that much as I do have several smaller meals (around 6) throughout the day so no need to snack. I work from home mostly but prior to covid I've always been able to eat at my desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsome View Post
    Stand-up desks have some value but are no substitute for exercise. Even 15-20 mins. of focused physical effort a few days a week can do a lot to boost your metabolism and avoid age-related muscle atrophy.
    I have some pretty decent lower back issues, those standup desks would kill me if I had to use it for more than 30 minutes :/ I'm constantly stretching my lower back or even rolling it on the floor of the boat every couple of hours or it's like a knife in my back after about 6 hours. Stupid discs...

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    I have some pretty decent lower back issues, those standup desks would kill me if I had to use it for more than 30 minutes :/ I'm constantly stretching my lower back or even rolling it on the floor of the boat every couple of hours or it's like a knife in my back after about 6 hours. Stupid discs...
    Yes! Foam rolling and sometimes using a device like a Theragun have helped me a lot too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123