Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

People with office/sit down jobs……

Just started an office job about 7 weeks ago where I sit almost the entire 8 hours and have definitely started gaining weight. Old job for 15 years I was on my feet most of the time, walking 3-5 miles daily on average. So with that being said how do you manage your weight and snacking? I have quickly realized I need to start walking outside of work when I get home. Any other healthy tips for people who sit all day?

I make myself get up every hour and walk around. If you have stairs close a quick trip up and down them will help.

3. Member
    take breaks every few hours to walk around. stand up desks, we're not designed to sit for 8-10 hours.

lunch time I like to take a walk

4. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    can actually be hard on your eyes. periodically look away at something in the distance.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

5. Member
    I would have to get out at breaks and at lunch. But I never had an office job. But on bad weather days we stayed in and they were very loooooooong days.

6. Member
    Walk on breaks when you can and change what snacks you bring. Don’t eat a bag of chips, get some fruit or carrots instead. Or chew gum. That usually works for me when trying to curb a craving to snack.

Move when you can. You can flex most of your muscle groups while sitting. It helps, trust me. Also, drink water. No pop or sugar drinks. Been doing it 15 yrs or so. Same as you, had a physical job, then into an office. It can be done.
    Nothin like catchin 'em on your own creation!

8. Member
    stand up desk...consider biking to work if you can. Start a gym/workout routine. You cant work a desk job and not work out every day or you will be a slob.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

9. Member
    walk every chance you get. it's that simple, and cut out the snacking
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

10. Member
    I’m in the same situation as the OP. During college I was very active. Worked out 1-2 times a day, fished 2-3 times a week, hiked multiple times a month, worked at gander and each shift I would cover about 3 miles. Only time I ever sat was to eat, drive, and during class.

Then I started working full time 8 years ago and never got into a healthy exercise habit. Stopped exercising because I simply didn’t have the time after work. In office for 9+hrs a day with a 3+hr daily commute. I went from 165lbs to 190lbs in a year. I was Still fairly active with construction inspection and surveys during the summers.

I switched companies 3 years later and now I have a true office job where I sit 9hrs in my chair with a 2hr daily commute. Went from 190lbs to 220lbs in 5 years. I barely get 1mile of steps in a day. Once I get home I have time to help cook, clean up, do a few chores and time for bed. From college to 8years later I gained 55lbs. It’s not good.

my biggest advice is to walk around during lunch, stand at your desk (if possible), and find a way to get moving after work or before. Don’t snack throughout the day, if you do choose healthy stuff not chips or anything. Don’t do what I did and just be complacent. Make time for your overall health and well-being. I need to take my own advice and the advice of others on here so I’m aware this is hypocritical of me.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member
    I try to get out for a mile or two walk at night, watch snacking (very easy to do sitting at a desk), and try to eat healthier. Going out for fast food is a great way to stack on lbs quick.
    Fish have fins, they swim

12. Member
    I stand up and walk around the office/house or go outside for 5 minutes once an hour. Drink lots of water to help curb snacking and use that hourly break to hit the restroom to make room for more water. When I was going into an office I had a standup desk that I used all the time.

13. Member
    Like the others already mentioned, set a timer even and get up and walk some stairs every hour if possible. Try not to use the elevator if possible. And as you mentioned start walking regularly at home now that the days are longer. And drink water instead of sugared drinks. One thing I always do is park my car as far away as possible whether at work or the grocery store as it forces me to walk a few extra steps. Every little bit adds up. The key is to make it a routine and you will see the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by spoon33 View Post
    Just started an office job about 7 weeks ago where I sit almost the entire 8 hours and have definitely started gaining weight. Old job for 15 years I was on my feet most of the time, walking 3-5 miles daily on average. So with that being said how do you manage your weight and snacking? I have quickly realized I need to start walking outside of work when I get home. Any other healthy tips for people who sit all day?
    Take breaks and eat less. I also try to exercise after work from time to time. The big key is eat half of what you normally eat since calories won't be burnt. Also having weights that I can lift during phone meetings helps.

15. Member
    you would be shocked at 15K steps a day will for you.. people don't realize how little they move.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

16. Member
    I run 50 to 60 miles per week and eat whole / foods. Dropped form 205 lb in 2008 to 155 in 2009 and I've never seen the north side of 157 since. Just ran the Myrtle Beach Marathon a few weeks ago. I'll be 62 in July.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

17. Member
    I recently had a similar transition. Went from an active warehouse job to a desk job. I go on a walk with my wife (and dogs) when I get home every day now (weather permitting).
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

18. Member
    58 years old. Been in an office since my wife said she wouldn't marry a bar tender... so 34 years in a chair. I stand up a lot, usually when on the phone, and drink lots of water when the snacking urge hits me. Have always had a bird dog so I walk the dog a mile-ish every morning and evening (weather allowing) for exercise and stress relief. I don't think my motivation to walk would be there if I didn't have a dog. Still play some softball, hunt and fish... so I stay active. Since I turned 50 the weight has crept up... I'm assuming metabolism change now that I'm older.

19. Banned
    The saying “ use it or lose it is true” Older you get the quicker it can go.... my advice is you gotta make it a point to work out off the job

20. Member
    Look on Amazon for desk elliptical or exerciser. I would think if you have the tension cranked high and it was difficult to pedal, it would burn calories during the day. If you gotta snack, buy 100 calorie snacks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast