Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Snow while boat is in the water...

I'm heading up to NY for an early spring vacation. Forecast is for 5-8 inches of snow overnight tonight, with temps warming throughout the week. Can I get away with leaving my boat in the water during the snow and just cleaning off/bilging out the snow the next day? I've never left my bass boat (Tracker 190) in the water during a snow storm...

I was also considering covering it while it's in the water, but that's seems very difficult given how the cover works with my particular boat.

Thanks for any help.

2. Member
    The bilge isn't going to work with snow, you'd better bring a shovel and hope the snow is not heavy enough to sink your boat. I wouldn't risk it.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I have fished a few times through a snowstorm, the worst one ended up putting about 6 inches on the deck, and the above is correct. Snow is heavy and does not pump out and it will take longer to melt off than you think. It will leave everting wet and will cause a lot more problems if it refreezes. I would trailer the boat and cover it.
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

4. Member
    Haha. You’ll be fine. Use a plastic shovel to remove the snow from the boat. It definitely won’t sink your boat. It’ll melt off just fine.

5. Member
    Shoot yea . It won’t sink your boat buddy if it’s 2ft deep… I wudnt worry it just go fish and bitch about the snow all week is what I would do

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    A foot of snow is roughly equivalent to 1” of water. Who hasn’t fished through an inch of rainfall? Scoop it out and go fish, good luck!

7. Member
    Dont think its gonna snow under the deck for that bilge to have an issue...by the time the bilge sees that white stuff it will be clear water.....Just saying. You will be fine just clean off the deck.

8. Member
    You may want to consider taking a small tarp (or a couple) for when you leave your boat in the water. Cover the areas you can when not fishing, i.e. front deck, rear deck, middle portion. When you return to the boat, lift one side of the tarp, let the snow fall off into the water. Works better with a few small tarps rather than one large one. Remember to tie them off to your cleats, etc... so they don't blow off. As it was mentioned above, a small plastic shovel is good advice.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    The bilge isn't going to work with snow, you'd better bring a shovel and hope the snow is not heavy enough to sink your boat. I wouldn't risk it.
    Sink your boat?? I don't know much about GA snow, but here in Wisconsin that's not gonna happen.

OP, you'll be fine letting snow get in your boat

Don’t know how your cover works, but if the snow is wet and heavy, it could tear-up your cover unless it’s properly supported.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    I personally would pull the boat. It’s not that much effort for a single day to put it back on the trailer. It’s going to be a wet, heavy snow. If we get the full effect, there’ll be 5” of snow on the ground. If you have an 18’ boat, it’ll be about 1000lbs of snow sitting in the boat itself. It’ll melt quickly though.

i would just bring a shovel and clear anything out. Good luck and kinda jealous since my boat is still in storage
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. Member
    Why not just take a leaf blower and blow the snow off. Unless it is a heavy wet snow.

13. Member
    IF you weren't so LAZY you would put it on the trailer and cover. A Tracker isn't worth much, let it sink.

14. Member
    I would take it out of the water. What lake you going to?

15. Member
    Lake George. I’m afraid the ramps won’t be open for a day or so. Hence wanting to leave it in.

Take it out of the water and don't cover it.
    Shovel it out in the morning.
    If you put the cover on and it's not supported from inside.
    When the snow gets heavy it's going to tear the cover or break something.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

If you have to leave it in.
    Just leave it un covered and keep an eye on it.
    If it gets to heavy, shovel it out.
    I bet you would be fine to just shovel it out in the morning.
    But you never know. ....
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

18. Member
    If they use salt and chemically treat the roads in N.Y. I would be more worried about the trailer and wiring. Once they start treating the roads here in the midwest my winter walleye fishing comes to a halt. I have seen a lot of messed up trailers because of salt.

19. Member
    *laughs hysterically in Canadian

This reminds of the thread where the guy asked if it was ok to fish with his outboard because it was going to be 30 degrees.

Do whatever you want, be prepared to shovel the boat out if you actually get 6 inches of snow that doesnt melt as it falls (I doubt you will) and carry on.

if it actually snows and they salt the roads, wash the absolute hell out of your trailer and boat when you get it home. Boats are meant to be used, dont let a bit of salt and snow scare you off.

Its supposed to actually be above freezing even when its snowing, and by morning be well above freezing. I will be shocked if you actually get 5 inches of accumulated snow. Let it sit out with the cover off so you dont wreck your cover. If its fills with snow, shovel it out and through the day when it goes above 40 degrees it will all melt.

This stuff is much more of a pain when the forecast calls for snow, but also temperatures into the 20's for weeks following. Happens to us every november.
    Last edited by AKRISONER; 04-18-2022 at 08:55 AM.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

20. Member
    My experience is your rod lockers are going to freeze shut. If you try and force them open you are likely going to tear the carpet and or seals. If your floor drain freezes closed all the water melting is going to saturate the interior of the boat. I would leave it out of the water with the plug out and hope the ramp doesn't freeze up. If it does at least you are not worried about your boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast