Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First run with mega live - not great

Been using hummingbirds for years so very familiar with their use. Tried live this weekend for the first time. I know I need time on the water but I was disappointed. I set it up exactly as people here suggested, starting with sensitivity at 15, contrast at 1. I messed with it all day. I could never see my bait. Tried everything even dropping the bait in front of the transducer. Nothing except and occasional return. Did see a few fish moving around but had to be right on top of them. No more then 10, away. Otherwise nothing. Any suggestions to try for my next trip out?

thx in advance.

2. Member
    Pictures of your install setup and screenshots what your seeing would be helpful.

3. Member
    Ok but that will take a while. Too busy this week to get out

4. Member
    Mine is good for making precise casts at structure I see on the 360. Works great for that. I can see my A-rig within about 30 feet, and fish moving about, but have yet to see a jerk bait or anything else. Waiting on the next update, and of course more time on the water playing with it. Ideal conditions appear to be no wind per the YouTube experts catching giants. That doesn't happen around here much, at least when I can go.

Can't offer any solid suggestions on settings. Yesterday I was on palette 11, sensitivity at 15, contrast I think at about 5. I have fooled around with persistence and at times it helps to see movement.
    Last edited by Amistad Tackle; 04-17-2022 at 07:56 PM.

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Make sure your Dynamic Contrast is also set to 1. Also, I typically use a Sensitivity of 17 or 18. That will definitely make a difference in seeing your lure.

We're you using Forward Mode or Down Mode? If Forward Mode, which physical Transducer position were you using and which degree setting were you using?
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

6. Member
    Go sensitivity at 14 contrast at 10 and dynamic contrast at 1. I can see a jerk bait out to 55 to 60 feet

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rosuallu View Post
    Been using hummingbirds for years so very familiar with their use. Tried live this weekend for the first time. I know I need time on the water but I was disappointed. I set it up exactly as people here suggested, starting with sensitivity at 15, contrast at 1. I messed with it all day. I could never see my bait. Tried everything even dropping the bait in front of the transducer. Nothing except and occasional return. Did see a few fish moving around but had to be right on top of them. No more then 10, away. Otherwise nothing. Any suggestions to try for my next trip out?

thx in advance.
    I was in the same boat, I just laugh at the fan boys on here saying they have it dialed in. Facts are they just do not know any better. I have been running live scope for 2 years and when Humminbird came out with mega live I bought it because I run Humminbird for everything other than live sonar. I have 6K worth of Humminbird units on the boat so no Humminbird hater. But like you I was very disappointed with it so I sold it and put a second live scope (LVS34) on my boat. And I am sure the fan boys with flame me for this post. But I could careless people need to hear the rest of the story. It is not that good bottom line and miles behind the other two brands.

8. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Dude, let it go. It’s a fairly new item and updates will and have made it better. Supposedly another update coming out shortly. I see my lure about 40 feet out. Each time out on the water I get better with it. All brands have had their issues so I’m not worried about it.
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Make sure your Dynamic Contrast is also set to 1. Also, I typically use a Sensitivity of 17 or 18. That will definitely make a difference in seeing your lure.

We're you using Forward Mode or Down Mode? If Forward Mode, which physical Transducer position were you using and which degree setting were you using?
    I was in forward mode and the transducer set where recommended.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rholiday884 View Post
    Go sensitivity at 14 contrast at 10 and dynamic contrast at 1. I can see a jerk bait out to 55 to 60 feet
    Thx will try it

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Dude, let it go. It’s a fairly new item and updates will and have made it better. Supposedly another update coming out shortly. I see my lure about 40 feet out. Each time out on the water I get better with it. All brands have had their issues so I’m not worried about it.
    First guy that doesn't know any better..... I told you LOL there will be more..........

12. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maxrider View Post
    I was in the same boat, I just laugh at the fan boys on here saying they have it dialed in. Facts are they just do not know any better. I have been running live scope for 2 years and when Humminbird came out with mega live I bought it because I run Humminbird for everything other than live sonar. I have 6K worth of Humminbird units on the boat so no Humminbird hater. But like you I was very disappointed with it so I sold it and put a second live scope (LVS34) on my boat. And I am sure the fan boys with flame me for this post. But I could careless people need to hear the rest of the story. It is not that good bottom line and miles behind the other two brands.
    Glad you spent the extra money for the LVS34. No doubt that it is a very good product. Maybe now you can get rid of the dead spot that Livescope has had since its introduction. If Mega Live had a dead spot I'm sure all the Garmin "Fanboys" would also be pounding it for that as well.

While I agree that Garmin Livescope has a better image at this point, the last update was a huge step forward and I expect that to continue as the next Mega Live update comes out as well as the corresponding control head updates. Just look at the improvements Garmin had with the Livescope from the introduction to the current software. It wasn't always rosy in the Garmin camp and still isn't.

There is no perfect product of anything, fishing or otherwise, but I'm very happy with my Mega Live and its integration into my one boat network. Yes, you can call me a fan boy (and Humminbird Moderator) if you want but, to me and my fishing style, it gives me exactly what I was looking for and it is integrated with everything else on my boat. Could it be better... Yes. Will it improve... Yes!

Sorry, I just couldn't stand by. Your thoughts on this subject are pretty clear but they don't add value to this thread.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

13. Member
    I will try some of these other settings to see if I can get an improvement. I had my 360 go out and had to reset default settings on the Helix. That didn't work, but I lost all the Mega Live settings in the reset, so had to start new. Reset didn't work, but shutting the power off at the breaker did, thank goodness. Both Live and 360 are back. First time for a meltdown on the water, but everything is back. Wish they had an option for saving current settings, and just a reboot. Would make life easier.

First guy that doesn't know any better..... I told you LOL there will be more..........
    Congrats! You’re officially an annoying internet troll. You and Arizona Angler should become internet buddies.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

15. Member

Let it go!

Max,

I gave you the benefit of the doubt on a previous thread after you responded to what I copied below. Again, this guy is trying to get help with his set-up. Please only respond if you have help to offer. Save your thoughts for threads that ask about comparisons of the various "live products". They would be appropriate on those kinds of threads, but not on one such as this.

What is copied below is not something that I wrote, but it states exactly how I feel. The person that did write this, wrote it in a very nice manner and should be applauded for doing so.

Max Rider,
    Sorry you had a bad experience with ML I was hesitant to post to avoid derailing the original conversation, but it appears it has already been, so here goes…..
    The majority of the numerous threads I have seen where you posted a comment on have been on posts started by ML owners & followed by other ML owners who wish to improve their image quality. Fortunately we have quite a number of folks with a high level of experience willing to help others improve. Your post on these type of threads often derail the conversations, preventing the OP from getting the answer to his question(s)

Please consider holding your comments for Posts titled “Live-scope” vs ML or similar type post which will allow you to target the audience you wish to reach & help them with the brand of equipment they purchase. Additionally, it will help the OP topic/questions to be answered, while also benefiting thread followers who’ve already purchased ML perhaps pickup a suggestion that allows them to improve.

The intent of my post isn't intended to be rude or disrespectful towards you in anyway. Please accept my sincere apology in advance if this request insults or offends you.

I feel your disappointment in HB ML as I have not been able to get mine to work very well, but I have not given up yet!

Max, you later replied to this person and basically said that they had a valid point and that you understood. However, from your latest round of posts, it seems like you are ignoring this fact. Please let it go, help where you can, and offer factual information when someone asks for a comparison of the "live products". Everyone here is either looking for help or trying to help someone. We all want to have a good time fishing and I am sure you want that too. Thanks
    Last edited by Outsider; 04-18-2022 at 11:42 AM.

16. Member
    Mine works great can see my bait out to 75-80 ft no problem.

Even helped me catch a 33 lb bag with an 8.35 lb kicker and watched all of them eat the bait.

17. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Nice! What lure?
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

18. Member
    Thx for all the help so far to those that have tried offering useful info. To those that haven’t, please start you own thread. Keep the ideas coming. I know I can get it right and realize it will take time.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Max,

I gave you the benefit of the doubt on a previous thread after you responded to what I copied below. Again, this guy is trying to get help with his set-up. Please only respond if you have help to offer. Save your thoughts for threads that ask about comparisons of the various "live products". They would be appropriate on those kinds of threads, but not on one such as this.

What is copied below is not something that I wrote, but it states exactly how I feel. The person that did write this, wrote it in a very nice manner and should be applauded for doing so.

Max Rider,
    Sorry you had a bad experience with ML I was hesitant to post to avoid derailing the original conversation, but it appears it has already been, so here goes…..
    The majority of the numerous threads I have seen where you posted a comment on have been on posts started by ML owners & followed by other ML owners who wish to improve their image quality. Fortunately we have quite a number of folks with a high level of experience willing to help others improve. Your post on these type of threads often derail the conversations, preventing the OP from getting the answer to his question(s)

Please consider holding your comments for Posts titled “Live-scope” vs ML or similar type post which will allow you to target the audience you wish to reach & help them with the brand of equipment they purchase. Additionally, it will help the OP topic/questions to be answered, while also benefiting thread followers who’ve already purchased ML perhaps pickup a suggestion that allows them to improve.

The intent of my post isn't intended to be rude or disrespectful towards you in anyway. Please accept my sincere apology in advance if this request insults or offends you.

I feel your disappointment in HB ML as I have not been able to get mine to work very well, but I have not given up yet!

Max, you later replied to this person and basically said that they had a valid point and that you understood. However, from your latest round of posts, it seems like you are ignoring this fact. Please let it go, help where you can, and offer factual information when someone asks for a comparison of the "live products". Everyone here is either looking for help or trying to help someone. We all want to have a good time fishing and I am sure you want that too. Thanks
    I just hate seeing people pay hard earned money for something that is not where it should be. And some of the people on this forum telling people its the next big thing. Facts are you give up a lot with mega live vs LS and AT. You guys need to tell it like it is. Humminbird should not be let off the hook for taking peoples 1600$ for this junk. It might be worth 500$.

And PS I do not care if you all dislike my opinion of it. Hopefully it will save some poor bastard 1600$

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    Mine works great can see my bait out to 75-80 ft no problem.

Even helped me catch a 33 lb bag with an 8.35 lb kicker and watched all of them eat the bait.
    Like I said some of you guys just do not know any better. Glad you are happy with it. Do yourself a favor and never spend time with LS or AT.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast