James river open

Curious what the rumors are as to where the top guys fished, especially poche. Sounds like kimura stay in upper james ?

2. Member
    What does this say about the James where a fisherman that never fished the James wins the Open?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gettnet View Post
    What does this say about the James where a fisherman that never fished the James wins the Open?
    That some of these guys that show up are straight up hammers wherever they go!
    Andy Lavin
    Director:
    Fishers of Men Virginia East Team Division
    2007 BassCat Puma/'07 250 ProXs

The river is fishing extremely well right now and the run to the Chick was not really needed in my opinion. Those that ran down did spread the field out some. Lot of big bags were caught close by from what I saw.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

5. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Always interesting how so many locals falter when the open shows up… no disrespect, but guys that I think are hammers just seem to falter when the spotlight is shining. I am nowhere near as good as themthough so I got no room to talk , but it is definitely eye opening watching guys who have never even seen the river come and dominate people who have fished it their whole lives . Happens every year .
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw91 View Post
    Always interesting how so many locals falter when the open shows up… no disrespect, but guys that I think are hammers just seem to falter when the spotlight is shining. I am nowhere near as good as themthough so I got no room to talk , but it is definitely eye opening watching guys who have never even seen the river come and dominate people who have fished it their whole lives . Happens every year .
    200+ boats can really alter a person’s fishing patterns, physically and mentally. Looks like a great fishery.

7. Member
    Locals more often fish spots versus patterns. Being very familiar with a body of water or local lures/techniques can hinder the decision making process.
    small crank baits are awesome on the James and tidal rivers. I wonder how many locals threw a upsized 2.5 Squarebill, buzzbait, or a 7 inch swim bait?