Replacing springs on my Ranger Trailer.

This year or the very first of next year I need to replace the springs on my Ranger Trailer. Is there a source where I can get the springs specification, i.e length from hole to hole and capacity? Thank you.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Better call Ranger on this one. It gets pretty technical on leaf springs. Hole to Hole is called eye to eye. You might find generic springs. Just need to specify capacity, eye to eye.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

3. Member
    Make sure you know what you need as some models Ranger put different model springs. When I called Ranger, they weren't sure which spring was original build on my trailer.

You can measure eye to eye on your current spring, just take into account that the older springs may have opened up a little and measurement may not be exactly what you need. When I measured my old springs, it was 26 1/2.

I ordered directly from Ranger, and when I put the spring on the trailer, the tire was all the way to the rear of the fender frame, not centered. Turns out the spring was too long and that threw the tire off center.

I had to return springs and Ranger sent me newer, shorter springs, but they were 3 leaf springs, not 4, not correct load rating for my trailer. So I had to return them to Ranger.

Ended up ordering off Amazon for 1/2 the price Ranger wanted for springs. Not bashing Ranger, they refunded every penny to me.

2003 Ranger single axle fiberglass fender trailer, correct springs were 4 leaf, 3/8 inch thick, 2500 lb. per axle capacity, 25 1/4 inch double eye springs, 9/16th inner diameter bushing (11/16ths outer diameter without bushing). This put the tire centered in the fender well as it should be.

Also, make sure the tire width clears the inside wall of the fender well, so the tire is not scrubbing on the upper inside wall of the fender with the new springs. If it is, you might have to go to a beefier spring (more leaf springs).
    Last edited by spinningchicken; 04-18-2022 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks for the replies. I'll give Ranger a call, with my serial number in hand and see what they say. If they don't know or want to take a crap shot, I will just do my own measuring and get them from a local trailer dealer near my house. Thanks
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Called Ranger and gave them my trailer serial number and they did not have any information to help me in replacing my leaf springs. Guess I will just do my own measuring and specifications for spring replacement.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

6. Member
    I just had a friend go through replacing springs and a axle on his 2000 520vx. He used a well known local trailer shop and all went smooth.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

7. Member
    I completely rebuilt my Ranger trail trailer tandem axle for my 1993 391V Ranger Boat, ordered all the springs and hubs from Ranger, fair price fast shipping and they fit perfect, upgraded the Boat to 36v, 4 each AGM batteries, 112# MinnKota, Bird on Front, Lowrance on Console, new Carpet, Buff&Wax & tires…. Good to Go and paid for ������
    Mike Hamm, Lake Ray Roberts
    USMC Retired
    michael.hamm1@verizon.net

8. Member
    most big city have a "spring" shop close they know what you need. likely a number on the spring somewhere? bottom leaf??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Member
    I replaced a set on a 1985 Ranger 373V that I used to own,about 20 years ago.The bottom leaf broke on the way to the lake and I had to "rig" it with a 2x4 and ratchet straps to get home. I took the broke one off and took it to a place called Tulsa auto spring and he measured eye to eye and asked if i wanted 4 or 5 leaf.I asked what the price difference was and he said they were the same,so I got the 5 leaf and it gave some extra tire clearance of the fenders.Back then it only cost me like $35 for both springs,and I'm sure its more expensive now,but I guarantee it will be cheaper going to a city spring mfg as mactlman said.

Thanks guys. I took all the measurements and will probably change them out this fall. I have done it in the past on my G3 / Gator trailer. I was just hoping Ranger could of gave me actual part numbers or spring numbers.
    I have a local supply house near me, Light House Marine and Trailer, I'll get the components from.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Take one off and bring it to a local shop I went through Ranger and had to send them back once also but mine is old 1990 and back then not all the trailers were the same so just a word of caution..
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

12. Member
    Hope it's ok to jump in this post. I have a 97 461VS single axle trailer. Really don't believe I have any problems and boat and trailer are in very good shape for age. That said it is 25 year's old should I look into replacing the leaf springs just because of age??

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampseed View Post
    Hope it's ok to jump in this post. I have a 97 461VS single axle trailer. Really don't believe I have any problems and boat and trailer are in very good shape for age. That said it is 25 year's old should I look into replacing the leaf springs just because of age??
    Yes! You'll be shocked at how much higher it will ride. I always used a local heavy truck repair shop to get my spring made. Way better the the OEM springs which are from China. It usually took them four hours because they had to heat treat them in an oven after the assembled them.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

I have to replace my springs due to rusting. I still have some good life in them, but rather be Pro-Active than Re-Active!
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

If it's for the 2019 on your sig., I would think they should be fine for a few more years. Rust should just be from metal to metal between leafs. Maybe hit them with some spray paint.

I have sprayed painted them. But keep in mind I fish Salt, Brackish, and Fresh water.

One of the local Chemical plants I worked in, part of the Specs for Stainless Steel Piping required having that pipe painted to prevent corrosion because of the plants location near the coast.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

17. Member
    If this helps anyone:
    My boat: 1989 Ranger 365v w/89 ranger trail trailer. #3000 lb square axle.
    I first called ranger and they were no help. They said the trailer was too old to provide specs.
    Removed springs and measured eye to eye. 25.25". (measure off trailer)
    Per suggestion of another member. I called and ordered from Stengle Bros suspension online.
    $152.14 shipped to my house.
    Included:
    (2) US-1051 2000# springs - $39.35/each
    (6) B-1465 eye and shackle bolts - $2.25/each
    (4) 5U-225S 9/16" square shackle bolts and hardware. - $9.31/each
    *I reused she spring mounting plates and shackles bc they were still fine. Just had to use drill bit to clean off rust inside bolt holes.

On a side note for bearings. Pulled bearings and measured. Online it shows 89-89 ranger trailer will have L68149 & L44649 bearings per side. Mine was dual L68149 bearings which would be for 1990 and newer trailers.

I replaced to be preventive since the trailer springs were original.

18. Member
    This is what I did on my last Ranger dual axle. Got app. at spring shop to put a leaf in as back set were starting to sag, shop says not good idea as they had full springs in stock that were the exact ones. big thing was the triangle thing between both springs ( think its called equalizer) were so wore thin and oblong that it was dangerous replace everything on trailer. less cost then making and adding new leafs

The springs will be generic. Need eye to eye measurement, number of leafs and axle capacity. Good luck.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.