Thread: GNRC

Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

GNRC

One of the reasons I'm a big TSLA bull is the long term potential of the energy division. Virtual power plants and energy storage are going to be big business for the foreseeable future.

I didn't realize until recently that GNRC is also in the virtual power plant and energy storage grid systems. And it's also 50% off highs. It appears that this might be a good stock for my investment ideas. Gonna start paying attention to GNRC and probably start building a position.
    Thanos was the hero

2. Member
    Wow! 500 to 250. They must have had some bad earnings maybe. Wish they paid a dividend so you could have a cushion while you wait. Maybe if there is a bad Hurricane and Tornado season their stock will get a bump.

3. Member
    I think some of the issues had to do with supply chain disruptions. A husband of a co worker has a business where they install whole house generators. There was strong demand due to power grid issues in California and hurricanes but he was saying the generators were hard to find after the Covid hit. The first thing people from the north do when they get a house in Florida is get a generator but there is a big lead time now.

4. Member
    What is a virtual power plant? Are a bunch of small wind/solar units combined to create a virtual power plant?

Thanks

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    What is a virtual power plant? Are a bunch of small wind/solar units combined to create a virtual power plant?

Thanks
    I think he is talking about the battery they can install in your home to store power in case you lose power or use solar and need to store power for use during night when it is not generating. Next Era Energy is doing this on a larger scale by building huge battery storage facilities that can store power generated from solar to be used at night. This is an individual application of that.

6. Member
    Thanks. I think their share price increase from $100 (Jan 2020) to $500 (Oct 2021) was too large an increase. Demand and sales increased due to homebuilding, potential for storms, work from home, etc.

5X price increase in less than two years was probably not sustainable. The 2.5X price may be more realistic.

7. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I can post more info in a few days with links.posting from a tent. The short version of virtual power plant is a bunch of roof top solar on houses, with batteries. Excess power charges batteries to be used at night or more importantly stabilize the gird during peak demand.
    Thanos was the hero

8. Member
    Boneil,

As the leader of this illustrious forum, we expect you to be in a 7-figure RV, not in a tent.

Hope you have a good camping trip.

9. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    Boneil,

As the leader of this illustrious forum, we expect you to be in a 7-figure RV, not in a tent.

Hope you have a good camping trip.

It's a nice tent.
    Thanos was the hero

10. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Listening to TSLA earnings last night, commentary wasn't very good in regards to material supply for batteries, TSLA will be fine for atleast this year. But everyone else, not so sure. I think theres a good chance GNRC won't be able to grow as fast as they could due to shortages. I will wait for any buying until I hear their call in a few days. Also want to get past the fed meeting.

If GNRC makes any comments that they secured supply, then I'm a buyer.
    Thanos was the hero

11. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Good earnings call. $16billion market cap company with a $1+billion backlog. Growth of 30-40% not including any natural disasters. Not much on grid storage, just that they have signed about 7 new contracts in the first quarter. They are in the very beginning stages of grid storage, grid balancing, software, home storage, and all that good stuff.

10 years from now, GNRC is either a much bigger company or had been bought out. I hope the Fed gives me better prices. But I started a position.
    Thanos was the hero

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Good earnings call. $16billion market cap company with a $1+billion backlog. Growth of 30-40% not including any natural disasters. Not much on grid storage, just that they have signed about 7 new contracts in the first quarter. They are in the very beginning stages of grid storage, grid balancing, software, home storage, and all that good stuff.

10 years from now, GNRC is either a much bigger company or had been bought out. I hope the Fed gives me better prices. But I started a position.
    It is a great company. Even without the storage, their generator business will remain strong as more people continue to move to hurricane prone areas. Just about everyone moving to South Florida from up north has a generator of some type installed. I believe one of my mid cap funds has this as one of its top holdings when I looked at the composition last year. Also solar is probably going to be a more viable option for those moving to the sunbelt and their storage system will probably benefit from that as well.

13. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Not many products get brought up in the lounge and the consensus is the product works flawlessly for x amount of years and I sleep better because of it. The name recognition of Generac is second to none for home back up which is why I think they will do so well in the transition for cleaner energy and smarter energy.
    Thanos was the hero