Hit curb, bent something

I was making a turn in a parking lot and hit the corner of a tall square curb trying to avoid someone flying through the parking lot a few months back. I am getting some vibration and I can tell that the front of the trailer tire is sticking out more than the back, so I know something is bent.
    I am heading up to Champlain at the end of May so I need to fix it prior to that long tow. It's the front tire on a tandem EZ Loader trailer with torsion axles.

Is it more likely that I bent the spindle on the torsion arm or on the axle?

I could not get the torsion arm off the axle. I am going to spray break free and let it sit overnight and give it another try tomorrow

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I’d check to see if that spindle is cracked at the flange. It happened to me once.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

I met a curb with my tandem torsion axle trailer recently. No visible damage, put a straight edge across the tires and had an extra 1/4" toe in on front tire. Mine has Dexter axle and Vault hubs. If you got Vault hubs, yours is a Dexter axle. Bought new torsion arm spindle assembly and hybrid lube from Pacific trailer, they had it in stock. Scribe a mark on the splined axle where the torsion arm split is before you take it off, new one needs to be reinstalled in same position.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    I met a curb with my tandem torsion axle trailer recently. No visible damage, put a straight edge across the tires and had an extra 1/4" toe in on front tire. Mine has Dexter axle and Vault hubs. If you got Vault hubs, yours is a Dexter axle. Bought new torsion arm spindle assembly and hybrid lube from Pacific trailer, they had it in stock. Scribe a mark on the splined axle where the torsion arm split is before you take it off, new one needs to be reinstalled in same position.
    Yes, I do have Dexter UFP hubs and assembly.

I assume it was a bent spindle on the torsion arm itself for you? If you saved the old hub, you can buy just the torsion arm and spindle and then put it on the new arm/ spindle and you will have a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by bassdge View Post
    Yes, I do have Dexter UFP hubs and assembly.

I assume it was a bent spindle on the torsion arm itself for you? If you saved the old hub, you can buy just the torsion arm and spindle and then put it on the new arm/ spindle and you will have a spare.
    bassdge Your hub assembly should be ok. You probably just need a new arm, that's the weak link!!! If the axle doesn't have a brake on it it's a simple swap. PN #36090 from Pacific @ $78,88 If you read the reviews on this arm, A skeeter guy says this is the one. It fit my Ranger trailer also. Their shipping is a little steep but they had it in stock and at my door in 3 days!!! If it's a brake axle it's a little more work but not difficult. If you go this route you will need to also order a tube of Hybrid Lubricant to re charge the Vault system. You will also need a grease fitting for the end of the axle, available at any auto parts store. You Tube is your friend on how to recharge the Vault Hub!!

3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

6. Member
    Here are instructions on filling a vault hub, and also the manual for bearing adjustment instructions.

http://hltlimitedtrailers.com/wp-con...ult-7-8-09.pdf
    http://www.ezloader.com/images/20160...8ed8d1cf09.pdf

7. Member
    I'd change the axle assembly. The stub or the axle or some other part could be bent. Do it all at once if you're in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I'd change the axle assembly. The stub or the axle or some other part could be bent. Do it all at once if you're in a hurry.
    Disagree!!! Torsion axle is encapsulated in rubber.
    Would take a hell of an impact to damage the axle. Common sense---start with the most cost effective, quickest and easiest repair first. Would recommend installing the spindle arm @ $79.99 and put a straight edge across the tires to check toe in before I ordered a whole axle assembly----which are backordered for months!!! Easy to spend another man's money!!! The axle is very robust-the spindle assembly is the weak link!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Disagree!!! Torsion axle is encapsulated in rubber.
    Would take a hell of an impact to damage the axle. Common sense---start with the most cost effective, quickest and easiest repair first. Would recommend installing the spindle arm @ $79.99 and put a straight edge across the tires to check toe in before I ordered a whole axle assembly----which are backordered for months!!! Easy to spend another man's money!!! The axle is very robust-the spindle assembly is the weak link!
    Not a problem. That's what I would do. If the torsion bar is damaged or bent he's back to square 1. Except he has lost the time, money and labor to change something that didn't fix it.

10. Member
    NOTE! When changing the spindle arm leave the nut partially on to prevent the spindle from flying out and hurting you or someone else. Most likely you will have to hit the nut end of the spindle very hard to get it to pop out. Goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Not a problem. That's what I would do. If the torsion bar is damaged or bent he's back to square 1. Except he has lost the time, money and labor to change something that didn't fix it.
    Really pretty simple to diagnose. Put a straight edge across tires!!! If excess toe in torsion arm is $79.99 and 3 days out. If that dont fix, axle is $800 and 6-8 months out.

12. Member
    Deleted
    Last edited by Va Phoenix; 04-29-2022 at 07:42 PM.
    2013 Phoenix 721 XP
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and HDS 9 gen 3
    Twin 10' Talons