HEB Brisket sale plus a pic

HEB has their brisket (choice) on sale for $1.87 lb. The person was unloading a pallet while I was there so I got first pickings. I got my limit of two.
    While I'm here I figured I throw in a pic of a foil boat brisket I did two weeks ago on the Weber Kettle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

3. Member
    Damn, I have 4 cookers. Two on trailers and two push arounds. Several years ago I bought a Kettle and I have had more fun cooking on it. I did purchase a Slow n Sear and update the temp gauge but it is pretty much stock. That looks awesome. Can you tell us how you cooked it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRANDPAOF7 View Post
    Damn, I have 4 cookers. Two on trailers and two push arounds. Several years ago I bought a Kettle and I have had more fun cooking on it. I did purchase a Slow n Sear and update the temp gauge but it is pretty much stock. That looks awesome. Can you tell us how you cooked it.
    I used the snake method with the B&B competition oak charcoal briquettes stacked one on top of two. I also used some post oat chunks. First three or so hrs was at 180-190 degrees. Then I bumped it up to about 225 then 250 for the next 3-4 or so hrs. Then I went to about 275 until the fat rendered. Internal temps were around 175-185 then I put it in the foil boat. Not sure what hour it was when I boated it. I let it cook until it probed tender.

I did spritz every now and then with 50/50 water/ apple cider vinegar after the 3-4 hr mark. This was a choice brisket. There was a small part of the flat that I couldn't get to probe tender but I decided to pull it off the pit. That spot became tender as it rested. Internal temps were around 207-210 when I pulled it off the pit except that one spot on the flat was at 200 internal. TTL cook time was 11.5 hrs or a bit more. It rested a bit over 2 hrs in the boat before I cut into it. I also use a probe at grate level to monitor pit temps.

I think it came out great and had no issues holding temps on the Kettle. The first three hrs I had the top vent partially closed to help hold the lower temps. After that the top vent was wide open the whole time and I controlled temps with the bottom vent.

5. Member
    One thing I didn't mention before. This was a smaller brisket. Not sure of exact weight but probably around 10lbs or a tad less after trimming. Rub was black pepper, holy cow, holy gospel, and lawry's seasoned salt.

6. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    How do you get that bark? I can never get any good bark like that.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

7. Moderator
    Good looking brisket. Awesome deal at HEB. We don't have HEB up here. Usually get my briskets from Costco. Been there when they were loading briskets and picked a couple off the cart. Easiest time I've ever had selecting brisket.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    How do you get that bark? I can never get any good bark like that.
    I honestly don't know how the bark forms. I don't go heavy on the rub. I do mine fat side up so that may help. This one was rub with mustard then seasoned and put in fridge overnight. But I've also seasoned the same day with no mustard and had the same result.
    Last edited by BrianKF; 04-18-2022 at 05:58 AM.

9. Member
    That looks awesome!

10. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianKF View Post
    I honestly don't know how the bark forms. I don't go heavy on the rub. I do mine fat side up so that may help. This one was rub with mustard then seasoned and put in fridge overnight. But I've also seasoned the same day with no mustard and had the same result.
    I always do the the mustard and then the rub. Someone told me the seasoning is what made the bark. I've put so much pepper and seasoning you couldn't hardly eat it and didn't get near the bark as that.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

11. Member
    I don’t know how it tasted but that brisket could have won a modeling contest. Best looking brisket I have ever seen.

12. Member
    What is HEB?

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    What is HEB?
    It's a supermarket here in Texas.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    I always do the the mustard and then the rub. Someone told me the seasoning is what made the bark. I've put so much pepper and seasoning you couldn't hardly eat it and didn't get near the bark as that.
    One thing I didn't mention earlier is I do use a foil drip pan filled with about 6 or so cups of hot water. It's supposed to help stabilize temps but it may help form the bark also.

15. Member
    Thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianKF View Post
    It's a supermarket here in Texas.