Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If I was still eating at moms house I'd have 4 up front .

2. Member
    I would not have three if they were free. Don't want the weight-don't want the hassle-don't want the draw-don't have the need. Hell, I enjoy having just one with quick set buttons for map/Livescope/2d.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

imagine spearing a wave??????????????

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    I would not have three if they were free. Don't want the weight-don't want the hassle-don't want the draw-don't have the need. Hell, I enjoy having just one with quick set buttons for map/Livescope/2d.
    LOL..... I swear enough at one, I can't imagine three. It would be a full out brawl.

5. Member
    I use my HB Solix for mapping and 2D/DI and my Garmin for LiveScope only. I am going to be adding HB360 to my HB for another option. Won't ever not have a 2 graph setup anymore.

6. Member
    Heres my argument, id rather have 2 9's then 1 12 or even 15. One for livescope and another for 2d and mapping. I'm reconfiguring my stuff, still waiting for the right deal to come along for a 10 or 12 for my console. That's mainly just so I can see my mapping clear as day while I am driving fast.
    06 Stratos 294 ProXL

7. Member
    I could see the practical use of 3 graphs... a 360, live and maps with 2d running together. It's just not for me.

8. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I have 2 up front and 1 on the console. Seems like plenty to me.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    imagine spearing a wave??????????????
    with the right gear, it will not be an issue. I've been in some horrible conditions on Toledo Bend, Sam Rayburn but my graphs don't move. They are rock solid.

10. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    I just have a single 7" up front that stays on split screen with map on one side and 2d on the other. Wouldn't mind stepping up to a 9" but for what I do the 7" and even the 6" before that (same features just smaller screen) did fine. I'll step up to a 9" up front when the 7" dies. I've messed around with Livescope on my friend's boat and see the benefit but can think of better things to do with around 4-5 grand that would be spent on that with a 12" screen. Money's in the bank to buy it but would rather pay my truck off early and then let savings pile up to pay cash for my next truck and then eventually my next boat. I still do fairly well on my home lake with just mapping and 2d up front. Also don't tournament fish so only compete against myself.
    Last edited by Highcentered; 04-19-2022 at 02:44 PM.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

11. Member
    Dual stacked is the most common setup I see here. Most are livescope dedicated and then another one split for map / sonar. Fishing deep clear water, it is needed to compete for most of the season.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Same here, I don't know how you could step over all of that to get off of the front of the boat. I would break something for sure. I have 1 9" graph at the front and 2 9" graphs at the console which is a little overkill. I could get by with a 9" and a 7" at the console.

13. Member
    Looking at the pix from the takeoff of the MLF event on Pickwick, it appears that Mark Rose's boat has 6 graphs - 3 at the front and 3 at the helm!! And to think having a Super Sixty used to be a big deal....

14. Member
    I think the average tournament guy up north needs two, in open water you need mapping and forward facing. It' seems the better local guys are set up like that. I think three graph set ups are more for efficiency. if you roll in and have two or three days to figure something out the different views are important. How many weekend guys can maximize three graphs capability? I bet Wheeler is twice as savvy running three on the bow than most of us are at running one. Shut the graphs off and put everyone on the bank, the best flippers and square bill guys are going to excel. They're the most efficient with their tools.

15. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I went with two Apex 16's at the bow, perfect viewing imo.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....740&highlight=

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

16. Member
    I have a Helix 10 up front that I use for mapping and 2D with the intention of using that solely for Mega 360 when I get it, and I have a Garmin 93SV UHD up there for livescope. At the dash I have a Solix 10 that I use for all of my sonar activities and run an old 899 off to the side solely for mapping. My thought is once I have the 360 up on the bow, I wont really need the mapping cause I generally have a pretty good idea of where I am at, and if I don't I can click over to the map for a quick second to look with one button tap, then back to 360. For depth I already have the livescope sitting there showing me the depth and I can spin that around and see the contour changes in real time better than what a map will show me anyway. I really see no need to ever have 3 graphs up front if you think about it.

It would be interesting to know the number of anglers who actually see some reasonable ROI after installing 3 graphs up front.
    Each one, apparently, chosen to primarily perform a specific function (FFS, Mega, Mapping) depending on that brand’s strength.
    That’s to say, what percentage of bass fishermen really (actually) take a significant amount of time, on and off the water, to learn their units, and get them dialed in to a point where they drastically improve their ability to find and catch fish?
    Please note, I said “drastically improve”.
    We’re talking about spending $12,000.00 - $15,000.00 for 3 - 12” graphs with LS and Mega360. Go big, or go home. I’d have some pretty high expectations at that price point. Of both myself, and of the equipment. Sure, you can cut cost with smaller units, and have satisfactory screen space. But, most of us want 12” or larger units, 10” minimum, to maximize image quality and performance. Admittedly, anglers whom primarily fish deep or clear water and offshore will delve deeper into unit setup and knowledge, and probably use them more consistently than shallow water fishermen. Finding significant numbers of fish in open water takes a great deal of skill and knowledge of your equipment’s capabilities. And the crappie guys I know and fish with are exceptionally proficient at dialing in LS and finding fish. Respect for those who do get their money’s worth out of their equipment.
    I primarily fish shallow water (less than 10’) most the time. Water clarity of the lakes I fish regularly can never be described as “clear”. Stained or muddy. Take your pick. It definitely will effect image quality. In all honesty, I believe I’d have trouble justifying even 2 graphs on the bow. Especially, if they included both Mega 360 and LS. With a 12” Bird/Mega 360, and a 12” Garmin/LS you’re dropping in the neighborhood of $8,000.00 - $10,000.00. Hard for me to justify. Even to do something I truly love to do. Go fishing.
    The question was asked in another thread about “if you had to pick one” what’s more effective? FFS or Mega 360? I added a ? about which system is better primarily in shallow water (2-6’). The answer was essentially their different tools in the toolbox. They both have clear strengths, and minor weaknesses by comparison. I don’t own either at the moment. Soon. But, I have no doubt either system will improve my ability to find and catch fish. Now, I have to decide since “There Can Be Only One”.
    I always say “to each his own”. Spend what you want, and can afford. No doubt multiple graphs and technologies can be an advantage in the right hands. I’m simply asking “Do your results justify your cost”?
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

18. Member
    I have a single 5 inch on front and its off most days fishing shallow.

19. Banned
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    It would be interesting to know the number of anglers who actually see some reasonable ROI after installing 3 graphs up front.
    Each one, apparently, chosen to primarily perform a specific function (FFS, Mega, Mapping) depending on that brand’s strength.
    That’s to say, what percentage of bass fishermen really (actually) take a significant amount of time, on and off the water, to learn their units, and get them dialed in to a point where they drastically improve their ability to find and catch fish?
    Please note, I said “drastically improve”.
    We’re talking about spending $12,000.00 - $15,000.00 for 3 - 12” graphs with LS and Mega360. Go big, or go home. I’d have some pretty high expectations at that price point. Of both myself, and of the equipment. Sure, you can cut cost with smaller units, and have satisfactory screen space. But, most of us want 12” or larger units, 10” minimum, to maximize image quality and performance. Admittedly, anglers whom primarily fish deep or clear water and offshore will delve deeper into unit setup and knowledge, and probably use them more consistently than shallow water fishermen. Finding significant numbers of fish in open water takes a great deal of skill and knowledge of your equipment’s capabilities. And the crappie guys I know and fish with are exceptionally proficient at dialing in LS and finding fish. Respect for those who do get their money’s worth out of their equipment.
    I primarily fish shallow water (less than 10’) most the time. Water clarity of the lakes I fish regularly can never be described as “clear”. Stained or muddy. Take your pick. It definitely will effect image quality. In all honesty, I believe I’d have trouble justifying even 2 graphs on the bow. Especially, if they included both Mega 360 and LS. With a 12” Bird/Mega 360, and a 12” Garmin/LS you’re dropping in the neighborhood of $8,000.00 - $10,000.00. Hard for me to justify. Even to do something I truly love to do. Go fishing.
    The question was asked in another thread about “if you had to pick one” what’s more effective? FFS or Mega 360? I added a ? about which system is better primarily in shallow water (2-6’). The answer was essentially their different tools in the toolbox. They both have clear strengths, and minor weaknesses by comparison. I don’t own either at the moment. Soon. But, I have no doubt either system will improve my ability to find and catch fish. Now, I have to decide since “There Can Be Only One”.
    I always say “to each his own”. Spend what you want, and can afford. No doubt multiple graphs and technologies can be an advantage in the right hands. I’m simply asking “Do your results justify your cost”?
    I have paid for all my graphs via tournament winnings. I paid for stand alone bird and 360 and my stand alone livescope and graph the very first event I had each one installed on my boat. First event with 360 I won 20k, first event with livescope I won over 4k and absolutely without a doubt wouldn't have won the 4k with livescope that day without it but with the 360 tournament I would have made a lot of money but probably not 20k, but for sure over 4k without it. Personally ive been extremely ahead on electronics and im known for it locally. I fished from age 9-21 without anything but a 5" black and white unit, then I got a hds10 in 2014 when I was 21 years old, I saved my money for about 3 months to buy that and my offshore fishing got 10 fold better that year alone. I had already know the power of electronics via the BASS elites and being a co angler in events seeing other people use them but honestly not really dialed into them. I would catch fish better off the back graph than my boaters would on the bow. Fast forward to 2016 and I had 3 lowrance units on the boat. I had thousands of waypoints by then and really shined as a boater fishing offshore. I was 23 years old and now fishing from the front of the boat full time. I racked up 500 hours of idle time in a year and average 300-500 hours a year since too. After 4 years of electronics usage and being dialed into them I expanded with 360 in 2018 which only helped. Then in 2020 I added livescope to the system which again has only boosted my game and won over 40k in the past 2 years with all 3 brands up front and in all my winnings I can point to times when the 360 and livescope played key parts in each. This was not a go all in just because. This was a 8 year build up learning to utilize every piece of electronics on my boat and prior to that I had 11 years without really any electronics when I was learning the fundamentals of fishing as a kid and teenager. I will say over the past few years ive seen some guys get new rigs and do 2-3 units up front and they probably don't even know how to use them and aren't setting the tournament scene on fire either. It seems to always be the same guys doing well with or without electronics at the local level. I still love to fish shallow and some days I don't even turn on the 360 or livescope and throw a block of wood under the trolling motor due to fishing so shallow. The best local angler I know fishes with 2 hds 9s and just got the lowrance active target this year and hes won like 100k fishing in the past 3 years.

I fish lake champlain, Ontario and the finger lakes in NY. Our season is open from June to October for tournaments, 90% of the time its post spawn summer/ fall events where smallmouth are deep like 10-40ft deep on structure offshore and largemouth fishing is just you know largemouth fishing, deep grass edges or matts where electronics are NOT the most critical but graphing in the spring before the grass growth usually leads to finding some unreal largemouth spots.
    Last edited by haus9393; 04-22-2022 at 11:01 AM.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast