Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC

Need help for a friend on Waccamaw River.

My best friend moved to Conway and his only option (other than driving to Santee) for bass fishing is the Waccamaw. I went down to visit him 2 weeks ago to help him get his Fisher Aluminum ready and get him out on the river. He's been out one or two times in the past 2 years and hasn't caught a bass yet.

The river looks good everywhere but I had no clue what to do or where to go. I set up a spare Lowrance HDS9 Carbon for him mounted on a board so he can set it on the floor and use the GPS along with a HDI ducer mounted on a pole to clamp to the transom for depth. He has a small single older depth finder on the bow for this TM.

He's a great guy with some limited movement due to back surgery years ago and now knees and ankles making it more difficult moving about. Anyone know anything about the river that can help him out?

Thanks fellas
    Craig

The trip down a few weeks ago I talked him into going to Santee for the last day. We put in on Wyboo creek. I caught 2 nice LM and he still didn't even get a hit!! Dam! Told him I'd be back down with my boat and we'd find a camp to stay at there and figure out Santee
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

2. Member
    That Allison, when its running and not being pulled in by a Ranger , is too nice of a boat to take to that stump hole Santee. i'd use the Fisher ! And, I don't think the water down there is deep enough for that spy bait.

3. Member
    hahahahahahaha...............You towed me in???/ You change your name again?? I want to learn Santee....but I really want my friend to learn the Waccamaw
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

4. Member
    Best advice for him is to start out slow. Pick a general area of the river, keep notes, and fish it through different cycles of the tide.

He can literally be fishing a very good area with no bites, only to leave not knowing that stretch turned on 20 minutes after he left according to the tide cycle.

Relatively small soft plastics (4”-6” worms, speed craws, baby brush hogs, 3” swimbaits), floating worms, top waters).

Different than fishing a lake when you want to catch a top water bite at sunrise, they’ll hit on top based more on tidal flow.

Once he starts getting bites and linking them to tend stage of the tide then he should start branching out, repeating the same plan.

5. Member
    yeah, that's the big question for him and that is the tides!! Many many years ago we used to fish the Hudson River and the tides were the big deal. I think I remember that dead low tide and dead high tide were the worst. The last several hours of outgoing tide were the best?? What are the best portions of the tides on the river?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    yeah, that's the big question for him and that is the tides!! Many many years ago we used to fish the Hudson River and the tides were the big deal. I think I remember that dead low tide and dead high tide were the worst. The last several hours of outgoing tide were the best?? What are the best portions of the tides on the river?
    As long as it's moving, it's good. Sounds simplistic, but it's true. Anything but slack tide.

But if you had to pin me down as to the best stage, I'd say the last few hours of a falling tide. Look for creek openings, drains out of rice fields, ditches, etc draining larger areas. These will help concentrate fish in specific areas as bait gets flushed out.

7. Member
    Awww....you mentioned the rice fields. He did tell me that while speaking to a local fella he did mention the rice fields. Where are they and a nearby launch?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Awww....you mentioned the rice fields. He did tell me that while speaking to a local fella he did mention the rice fields. Where are they and a nearby launch?
    Use Enterprise Landing. Take a left. Can not miss the rice fields. Remember this is a tidal river. Do not get way back in there on low tide. You will not make that mistake twice. The best fishing will be on a falling tide. Look for ambush points. Slack water in the current. Me personally. I woukd go the Winyah bay or Santee. Better yet. I would probably be chasing reds.

9. Member
    I too would prefer Santee. When we went to Santee it was an easy drive to Wyboo creek.
    He lives in Conway so I'm trying to get him close to water that he can figure out. Unfortunately, I think he's loosing interest and makes me sad.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

10. Member
    If he’s only been out one or two times in two years he can’t expect to have the Waccamaw mastered.

Perhaps, just to get him interested in just catching fish, he just needs an UL spinning rig with a Beetlespin and a Bream Buster set up with a cork and a cricket or wigglers. Bream and other panfish should be bedding from now through most of the Summer, and he can pick up some bonus bass doing that. Once he’s catching fish it might whet his appetite to branch out.

11. Member
    Fishing rivers, especially tidal rivers is TOUGH!! Waccamaw's water level has been up and down also. You have to get in tune with the fish and what they are doing and feeding on. For a quick start, look for eddy areas around deep water. As the water starts to warm, I love to throw topwater around pads or woddy structure...I like to throw worms, lizards or creature baits in the deeper water around the structure.....Fishing rivers is an art and it takes time to understand...Good Luck and tight lines!!