Abu Garcia Revo Gen1/Gen2

I own alot of reels...

No really...like 150. I have a "hobby." Some are on display and are classic Abu Garcia Ambassadeur and Cardinal reels that are pretty hard to find and others are classic/modern Daiwa and Shimano that are NIB and totes. Most of my in rotation reels are Daiwa and Abu Garcia reels with one sole Shimano Curado 70. I have been on eBay lately and have found a few deals on Gen 1 and Gen 2 Revo reels. After cleaning them, I can honestly say that for sheer power, performance, and grit; and while not as smooth as my many SV103 reels, they are pretty hard to beat in the STX and Premier categories. I also picked up a Skeet Reese Revo that I have yet to fish with. Pretty cool reel for sure (they seem to be rather sought after).

Does anyone out there still use these 2006-2012 reels? Most of what I, among others, talk about are Daiwa and Shimano reels due to their refinement and quality workmanship but these older Doyo made in Korea Revo's are pretty darn good. I would like to hear your opinions. Have a good weekend everyone and I wish you and your families all a Happy and Healthy Easter! Best wishes on the water!

2. Member
    I still use the following Abu baitcasters on occasion. They’re solid good workhorse reels that cast well and have powerful drags.

Gen 1 STX and Premier
    Gen 2 STX and Premier

Anything past Gen2 doesn’t fancy me.
    Last edited by capt1fish; 04-17-2022 at 12:21 PM.

3. Member
    Gen1 and Gen2 Revos are without a doubt the best low profile reels Abu has ever made. However I've got a soft spot for the ALX.

4. Member
    Those early abu doyos are good, workhorse reels that last. The BPS Pro Q from that gen also falls into that category although they are on the low end of the niceness spectrum they are just as long lived as the premiers. I think that platform is still alive on doyo's site. I bought the wide spool all aluminum side plate BPS JM version a few years back.

5. Member
    I still use a gen 1 Base model(S?) and a STX. Also use a generation 1 Premier that’s still good.
    Red Sox in 6!

6. Member
    I use a Gen 2 Revo SX and it’s a fantastic reel. Outcasts all of my Lews, Ardents, and Shimanos that retailed for more. They definitely aren’t the most ergonomic reels but they are smooth like butter
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    I run probably a dozen gen 1 S models and a few SX and premiers. Minor issues since new and nothing that's just normal wear but I think they 100% are built better then any of the other generations that I own. I have looked for a Skeet revo just to have for my lineup but they are still very proud of them.

8. Member
    I have been drawn back to them for some reason. I sold my Revo SC (which I probably shouldn't have) that was a Cabela's Exclusive and may have been a JDM model. I do have two Gen2 Premiers NIB, an MGX NIB, and use two Gen1 STX, a Premier, and an MGX. Granted, I have two AL-F and one AL-X reels and they are awesome among the dozens of Daiwa, Shimano, and Lew's but there is something about the 2006-2012 Revo reels that I can't place my finger on, but they are becoming classics.

9. Member
    What I think is funny is that many folks don't realize how great the Gen1 and Gen2 reels are and how they can be had for a great price. With a little cleanup and where-with-all, they can outperform many new reels. But again, marketing says the newest and greatest is just that.

10. Member
    I actually lost my left side plate off of my REVO S this weekend. I am not sure what gen it is but it is gray in color with no brake adjustment dial on the outside of the reel. This was one of my favorite reels for throwing big top water baits. Would anyone happen to have an extra/old reel or side plate they would want to sell. I talked with Abu today and they told me to make sure I have the correct gen model or the side plate may not work. Any ideas. Thanks

11. Member
    Gen 1 or Gen 2 for sure. Subtle differences between them. Here is a picture of both:

Gen 1: https://www.achigan.net/en/tackle/2-...ml#prettyPhoto

Gen 2: https://www.achigan.net/en/tackle/2-...vo+S+Gen2.html

Quote Originally Posted by bmb View Post
    I actually lost my left side plate off of my REVO S this weekend. I am not sure what gen it is but it is gray in color with no brake adjustment dial on the outside of the reel. This was one of my favorite reels for throwing big top water baits. Would anyone happen to have an extra/old reel or side plate they would want to sell. I talked with Abu today and they told me to make sure I have the correct gen model or the side plate may not work. Any ideas. Thanks

12. Member
    I'm a fan of my Gen1 STXL. The Gen2 Premier was regarded by many as the best reel at its price. Have a used one still sitting in its box. Need to get it out this year. Some of my longest casts were made with the STX.

13. Member
    i used to run all gen 1 and 2 revo reels and loved them they were great quality and lasted a really long time. i now own no abu reels lol despite my screen name. eventually went to all shimano reels i did try some later iterations of the revo and just didnt feel the same as the gen 1 or 2 reels .

Used to use a Gen 1 Revo SX 7:1 to pitch jigs under docks and it was a work horse indeed. I think it has 25lbs of drag and you could horse a 5 lber in on 20 lb fluoro with ease. However, they are heavy and now that 8:1 reels and higher which are much lighter are available, I've switched over to them and my wrist thanks me.

15. Member
    I am still using gen 1 and gen 2 Revo S, SX and Premier models. I really like the Revo S. It is tough as nails and has a very simple design. I bet you could replace the heavy handle with a carbon fiber handle and reduce a bunch of weight. I use other brands but my overall favorite is the Gen 1 and 2 Revos.

16. Member
    Seems like they tried to get it right to start off the new series way back when. I wonder if the new Zenon series of casting reels will be good too?

Got a brand new gen 2 revo premier in my trophy case. Solid reel all around

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Got a brand new gen 2 revo premier in my trophy case. Solid reel all around
    Yep! I have two NIB Gen2 Premiers I got for a steal in my collection along with a NIB MGX (first edition) and a close to NIB Skeet Reese model.

I've got something like 6-8 Gen 1 and Gen 2 Premiers. I like them and still use them. Biggest fault they had was the outside gets dinged up easily and makes them look like beaters once they've been used a bit. Internally they are fine. Used to get some great deals on Gen 1's on Ebay because of appearance issues. Gen 1's also had a weak drag, but you can fix that with new drag washers.