Transducer issue?

I don't seem to be getting very clear SI readings on my helix 10 G3N MSI compared to what I've had in previous years. Only change I can think of in my boat setup is updating the software over the winter. Tried even running it with a dedicated battery and with other units off and didn't seem to change anything. I've include a snapshot from last year compared to this year. Is my transducer maybe going bad?
    S00024.PNGS00026.PNG

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Doesn't really look that bad. Try someplace with more structure and a little deeper for a real test. The main thing I see is some dots on the left which could be some interference and maybe some water clarity issues... maybe pollen, depending on where you live.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    Seems like something isn't right. Here's a few more from last year. These are all from the Missouri River in the springtime..S00013.PNGS00014.PNGS00023.PNG
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    If you haven't tried yet, try resetting factory defaults
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Sorry about my original comment about it not looking that bad. I was looking at the image on my cell phone. I just looked at your original 2 images on my 32" computer monitor and you are right. It definitely isn't right!

If resetting factory defaults doesn't clear it up, it could be one of 3 things... 1) Bad connection from the transducer, 2) Bad transducer, or 3) Issue with your helix. If you haven't disconnected the transducer connection or checked it for bent wires, I would do that first. If that doesn't work, I would reset to factory defaults to see if that clears it up, as ezfishin suggested. With that said, I don't know of any settings that would make the image look like the current one.

My original Apex 19 had a significant issue with SI. It was the same ugly fuzzy image with my Apex transducer or using my Mega 360 in SI mode. My Solix 12 was also displaying SI just fine from either source. Humminbird replaced the Apex with a new unit and all was good.

I'm assuming you don't have a second unit to test with your existing transducer or a Mega 360 you can use to test another SI source with your Helix. That's the best way to determine the root cause of an issue like this. It's a little hard to do with one unit and one transducer unless you have a friend who has a similar setup where you can do some equipment swapping.

This may be one where you need to engage Humminbird support.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Sorry about my original comment about it not looking that bad. I was looking at the image on my cell phone. I just looked at your original 2 images on my 32" computer monitor and you are right. It definitely isn't right!

If resetting factory defaults doesn't clear it up, it could be one of 3 things... 1) Bad connection from the transducer, 2) Bad transducer, or 3) Issue with your helix. If you haven't disconnected the transducer connection or checked it for bent wires, I would do that first. If that doesn't work, I would reset to factory defaults to see if that clears it up, as ezfishin suggested. With that said, I don't know of any settings that would make the image look like the current one.

My original Apex 19 had a significant issue with SI. It was the same ugly fuzzy image with my Apex transducer or using my Mega 360 in SI mode. My Solix 12 was also displaying SI just fine from either source. Humminbird replaced the Apex with a new unit and all was good.

I'm assuming you don't have a second unit to test with your existing transducer or a Mega 360 you can use to test another SI source with your Helix. That's the best way to determine the root cause of an issue like this. It's a little hard to do with one unit and one transducer unless you have a friend who has a similar setup where you can do some equipment swapping.

This may be one where you need to engage Humminbird support.
    I appreciate the suggestions. I fished the transducer cord out of the storage area it ran through in my boat so I'll see if that has any effect. I reset to factory defaults right before the season so I doubt doing that again will do much. I hadn't thought of using another unit, I do know some people with the same unit so will have to try that. Been having some horrible weather in ND the last couple weeks so I haven't been able to get out and try it.

I kinda had the same issue recently. If your running dual graphs at the console try taking the Y cable out of the loop and plug transducer straight into the unit. Mine cleared up after doing that. I called Humminbird and talked to them and was told that the Y cable was bad. Have gotten a new Y cable but haven’t been able to install it yet.
    Never do a wrong thing to make a friend or keep one.
    R.E.L

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro
    200 Mercury ProXS
    2x10’ Talons

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RigRatt View Post
    I kinda had the same issue recently. If your running dual graphs at the console try taking the Y cable out of the loop and plug transducer straight into the unit. Mine cleared up after doing that. I called Humminbird and talked to them and was told that the Y cable was bad. Have gotten a new Y cable but haven’t been able to install it yet.
    Thanks, hadn't thought of that either.

Not hating on any one brand here as I have several. But why so many probs with these marine electronics. I know it's a harsh enviroment but even brand new some have probs. And a cable, connector, or Y adapter? That is unacceptable.

10. Member
    Went out with and switched between a friend's identical unit and mine. Same settings, etc. Difference in the images are pretty obvious. His are quite a bit clearer and more vibrant. Do I need to call HB?
    S00030.PNGS00032.PNGS00004.PNGS00003.PNG

11. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slough15 View Post
    Went out with and switched between a friend's identical unit and mine. Same settings, etc. Difference in the images are pretty obvious. His are quite a bit clearer and more vibrant. Do I need to call HB?
    S00030.PNGS00032.PNGS00004.PNGS00003.PNG
    Yes, it sounds like that would be the next step.

12. Member
    Just thought I'd update - ending up sending the unit in, they said no problem found. Unit was gone for less than 2 weeks so pretty quick on their end. Seems to be working better now so we'll see.