Illinois Trailer License

I have not renewed my trailer in several years. I went today and they told me that I could renew from now until June for $46 and in June it will be $154 annually. I have a Ranger 520 with dual axle trailer. I thought that the trailer frees were going down ? My trailer is registered as a TB. Is this correct? Can I register as a TA or get a permanent license?

2. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    Those were all good questions to ask at the DMV. Give them a call back or go back in to verify.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt93 View Post
    Those were all good questions to ask at the DMV. Give them a call back or go back in to verify.
    Yes, I did ask them at the DMV. He told me that trailer license plates were all $154 for all boats, there was nothing else. I asked him about a permanent license plate and he said that was for SEMI-Trucks only. I asked him about a TA Plate and he said those were for Kayak trailers only. Therefore he had no clue what he was talking about so I left and wanted to hear what some comments were on here before going to another DMV location.

4. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    There is a little DMV in Gibson City IL that is awesome to deal with. I’d give them a call and ask further.

https://apps.ilsos.gov/facilityfinde...facilityId=157
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

5. Member
    There's two previous threads on this, one long when it went up, one shorter when it came back down. If I could figure out how to include the link to the threads I would.
    The state lowered the fee back to $36 last fall. I just renewed mine at that price. Unless they just raised it again, which I don't think happened. I do have a single axle though, maybe the double axles are higher rate do to higher weight??? NOt sure.
    2023 Lund 2075 Pro V Bass XS
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 250 4S

I renewed 2 trailers this year at the lowered rate
    https://www.ilsos.gov/departments/ve...a_trailer.html
    info here
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

7. Member
    The TA plates can down the rest stayed up. So a TB plate is 154. TA is down to 36. Weigh the boat ans see what itvweighs. If its under 3k then you can get TA plate. But seeing its a tandam axle trailer i bet its above 3k. I never bought into the ST plate thing. I was told it can open you up to DOT inspections because the plate was meant for a semi. I had state police tell me that. I have enough headaches so i dont need that.

8. Member
    I have the ST plates on all my trailers, 2 boat and a small utility trailer. A B truck plate is good for 8000 pounds a C plate is good for 10,000. ON a ST plate the tow vehicle plate must cover the weight of the truck

trailer and load and I've never had anything inspected the people at the DMV were telling that to discourage buying ST plates. My truck and 18 foot Ranger loaded weighs 9300 pounds I'm running a B plate and have not been checked.