Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar

Bought my last Chrysler product.

Been a loyal Dodge/Chrysler customer since 1984, but I'm done. Last November my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Pentastar V6 had a bad ignitor coil (cylinder 1) at 34k miles, $620 to replace. A week later another one went (cylinder 6) and another $620. Last week my 2018 Durango, same engine, similar milage had one go bad (cylinder 3), another $620. And today, just like the Jeep, another one is bad so back it goes. I got rid of the Jeep last month the Durango will be gone before anything else fails. BEWARE of this engine, especially the 2018 vintage. I can't accecpt this is a coincidence, same engine, same milage, same problem. Sounds like a defect to me, not a chance problem with the ignitor coils on this engine. I've owned 4 other Dodge/Jeep vehicles with the Pentastar V6 of earlier years with zero problems, but the 2018 vintage may have some issues. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced problems with this engine, particularly the 2018.

2. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    no manufacture is perfect...
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

3. Member
    Figure out how to replace it yourself and save a ton of money buying 3rd party coils and installing them.

4. Member
    very easy to change and a 60 dollar scan tool will tell you what cylinder is misfiring also?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    My Pops wrote a letter to Iacocca sometime around 1980, for similar frustrations. I guess it didn't do any good..
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

Why would you pay $620 for an ignition coil i think i paid $58 for a mopar ignition coil at rockauto for Daughter's 2016 wrangler.

7. Member
    Youtube is your friend. Could have saved you thousands

8. Member
    I had an 2011 pentstar and it was rock solid. When one coil goes bad you should replace them all is what I was told. I did it once myself and never had another issue.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigheadworm View Post
    Why would you pay $620 for an ignition coil i think i paid $58 for a mopar ignition coil at rockauto for Daughter's 2016 wrangler.
    Very true. I rebuilt my whole Ram front end from Rock Auto for a 1/3 of the stealer ship pricing

10. Member

11. Member
    You are simply spoiled, cars nowadays are running for 200,000 miles or more, cost of maintenence per mile is a pittance. It hasn't been that long ago when a car was worn out at 75-100K miles, now a 100K mile unit is desirable.....Dodge builds quality products, as do other MFG's...........stop whining.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jigheadworm View Post
    I will say this from my experience, cheap coils don't seem to last as long as OEM products. Even buying OEM and doing it yourself is much below the dealer cost.

I have gotten MSD Ford COP in the past and had them fail after 25k miles, when the factory COP made it 100k miles.
    Fish have fins, they swim

13. Member
    I feel your pain........been down the same road with Honda and Ford products. '08 Honda Ridgeline was nothing but trouble after trouble and $$$$ down the drain. Got rid of it after 3 years and fell into an F-150 with an Ecoboost motor which I named Ecobroke. This was my 7th Ford pickup and my last one after 110k miles, 3 read ends, 2 trannies, intercooler leaks, coil problems to name a few. The first GMC truck showed up in '16 followed by '21 Yukon. So far the Yukon with the Baby 'Max is great with over 12k and the Sierra would still be here if it was a crewcab. Great to have choices!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    no manufacture is perfect...
    exactly. I personally have had better experiences with Dodge/Jeep than Ford/Chevy. Other people have different experiences, but just based off of the vehicles that me and my family has owned, I would rather buy Mopar than any other “domestic” brand.

Just as Some people haven’t had luck with Honda, I had a Civic that put on 280k trouble free miles (literally only did regular maintenance, tires, and brakes when needed).

Every manufacturer has problems. Whether you get a trouble free vehicle or a lemon is by chance. If you truly want vehicles with minimal issues, I wouldn’t consider any “domestic” brand. I’d go with Toyota, Honda, or Subaru. After all, some Toyota and Honda vehicles use more American parts and labor than Dodge, Ford, or Chevy.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

15. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    Every mfg has problems BUT some Mfgs have a hell of a lot more than others. All Mfgs and not created equal.
    Warrienties are created such that they end BEFORE normal failure rates. So if a part in testing fails some where around 24,000 miles the warranty will end sometime before that in most cases. Normally that's how things work.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobh4656 View Post
    Every mfg has problems BUT some Mfgs have a hell of a lot more than others. All Mfgs and not created equal.
    Warrienties are created such that they end BEFORE normal failure rates. So if a part in testing fails some where around 24,000 miles the warranty will end sometime before that in most cases. Normally that's how things work.
    I actually think it is just the opposite....Manufacturers believe that a design or assembly problem should come to light within the first 36k miles or whatever the warranty is...
    Competition is so tough for truck sales , outboards or whatever that there is little room to play games with quality or reliability...
    Something like a coil probably falls onto a vendor not maintaining quality control....but obviously in the long run it is up to the manufacturer to ensure their vendors are maintaining some type of standard.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

17. Member
    I bought my first and last Chrysler product in 1971. Only took one for me.

18. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    As an Engineer I have taken several courses on parts longevity etc. What I wrote is true for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh4656 View Post

So why would a manufacturer purposely design something to last long enough so that the warranty is expired and the customer comes out of pocket? Yeah, they may get that second sale but the reputation through generations would eventually kill them.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Daleo View Post
    So why would a manufacturer purposely design something to last long enough so that the warranty is expired and the customer comes out of pocket? Yeah, they may get that second sale but the reputation through generations would eventually kill them.
    That isn't what he said. He said the warranties are crafted around the lifespan of the product.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast