JP Manual or Hydro on 2006 Champ 198

Hello,

My Dad has a basically new 8" Atlas Hydro JP he is not using and I am seeking your feedback on if I would be making a mistake by replacing my 10" manual JP with his 8" Hydro???

2. Member
    I'll let others reply about the difference in performance between the 8 and 10 setbacks, but as far as manual vs hydro, it's a no-brainer for me. Hydro all the way!

3. Member
    I would think the ability to adjust on the fly to conditions and load would out way an difference in the setback if that's even proper or best set back. Also you transom will thank you for removing 2" of leverage from it. If you take it out on the great lakes the ability to bury that engine in rough conditions and keep the prop in the water and biting is worth going hydraulic.

Just put 6" atlas on my brothers 1999 191 Champion and it looks great and love versatility for loading and launching at the terrible dirt ramps we have here. But only been 1 trip so far on small lake so we have not had chance to test speed and ride with it. Also just fixed the engine and got it running right over the winter. So we do not have a baseline from before with manual plate (if it was set up properly with that anyways). Also I am not speed freak I prefer control and maneuverability.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

Thank you! Great feedback!

5. Member
    I was thinking the best handing champ was the 18' with no set back, just flat on the back....?