Smallmouth Setup Question

I am making the switch from fishing spotted bass in dirtier water down south to fishing primarily clear water smallmouth up north. My plan is to use braid w/7# FC ldr for spinning, 10# copolymer for jerkbaits, small cranks, tubes and spinnerbaits, 10# mono for topwater, 10 or 12# FC for smaller jigs, TX rig, cranks and 17# FC for heavier jigs and A-rig.

Am I on the right track with the line sizes for clear water smallies or do I need to readjust?

2. Member
    I use 10# braid to 7# sniper on my spinning setups. Sometimes downsize to 5# depending what I am doing.

I also use braid to leader on my casting gear, but what you have listed is pretty much what I run in leaders sizes. I have a tendency to go by diameter rather than # rating, but your numbers are pretty close to what they'd be anyway.

I’d say you are pretty close on your strategy. I use 7# sniper leaders and 10# nanofil main line on most of my spinning rods. I’ll up to 10# fc leader for tubes And senkos where I want to keep a little more pressure on the hook set. Moving baits like spinners cranks line size don’t matter as much

FG knot is king.

im used to fishing water that have 25’ visibility
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

For me 8lb Nanofil with 4 or 6lb Seagar Abrazix for my drop shot and Neds. 10lb Nanofil with 6 or 8lb floor leader. Casting I us Yozuri Hybrid for everything casting unless it is frogin or punching and then I go to braid.

5. Member
    There’s always different schools of thought.

I use: 15lb brais to 8lb fc for drop shot
    40lb braid for jerkbaits but if I was going with a clear line, it would be 10lb fc. As it sinks and gets the lure down further.
    10-12lb mono for spinnerbaits and top water
    40lb braid to 12lb fc for tubes.

I agree with several above that say you're pretty much set, though I also agree with the suggestion to upsize leaders for spinning applications like tubes. I usually go with a 10-12 lb leader for that, and usually use the same for fishing wacky worms. I like to throw flukes on a spinning rod too, can really bomb them that way, and they get the 12 lb leader too. 7 lb is fantastic stuff in most situations for anything more finessey.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Great information. Thank you all! Now if this damn ice would melt!!

8. Member
    Thumbs up!
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

9. Member
    Yeah that'll work. I throw 1/2 oz + tubes a good bit and for that I use 10-14lb flouro and a 7'2" M or MHF baitcaster