Thread: Mayday!

MSU Percussion Professor bmas13's Avatar

Mayday!

I seem to be in a bit of a pickle here and am looking for the hive mind to hopefully offer some alternatives. Two weeks ago I was heading to the lake and I lost a wheel on my single axle trailer (curb side). It has been in a trailer shop for the past two weeks and they are waiting to receive parts information to repair it. I have a 2005 Nitro 898 with a 225 ProXS engine. The boat is 20' 4" and when I purchased it they said that Nitro made both a tandem axle trailer and a single axle trailer for this boat, and my rig happened to have the single axle. There are 15" tires on the trailer and I have had no issues over the past 18 years of local and out-of-state travel. I am not looking to put a new trailer under my boat, but I am looking to repair mine in the best possible way.

I've put well over 200,000 miles on the trailer over the years, traveling from KY to TN, TX, MO, FL, OH, MS, AL to fish. I take very good care of things and am meticulous about the yearly routine maintenance. However, I have been waiting for my injectors and fuel rails to be cleaned (since the end of November) and just got things up and running a few days before the incident. I had new bearings and new seals put on, and new brake pads two summers ago and had just put fresh grease on the hubs in late October when I rotated the tires before heading out to fish the fall classic. I don't know what happened that led to the hub melting, but regardless, here I am.

What I'd like to know is this: Can I replace the entire wheel assembly (both sides - axles, calipers, hubs, etc.) and upgrade to something (potentially) better than what I have? Is that a simpler prospect than replacing the side? I'm worried about getting one side fixed and then having a problem with the street side sometime in the near future. I am also quite frustrated with not having an estimate from the shop and it's been two weeks. Perhaps I have an unrealistic expectation, but I assume that measurements can be taken and then parts can be ordered. Please educate me. Any helpful information is appreciated.

67034417470__F69193B3-100C-49AE-A31D-6E1B579A035C.jpg 67034701829__F34CDC55-8569-4FDB-885E-7E25B315BF9D.jpg IMG_2955.jpg IMG_0968.jpg

WOW !! 16 years and over 200k miles !!! That in itself is pretty amazing. I wouldn't even mess around fixing that axle. Like you said, who knows when the other side will fail. I put a whole new axle and maybe even bump up in GVW too. PLUS, well maybe, it would be easier and quicker too.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Banned
    I had basically the same trailer for my 2001 Nitro 882... All parts for mine were readily available(pre -supply chain issues) from https://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/..

Hard to tell from the pics how much damage(if any) there is to the spindle. Looks like the leaf springs are broke??? Should be no issue replacing the complete axle assembly if you choose to go that route.. Remove the spare tire and read the sticker on the inside of the trailer frame. It should have the axle info on it. You could also call Nitro and give them you boats/trailer SN# and they can tell you the MFG, model and size of your axle. With that info, trailerandtruckparts.com should be able to fix you up with a replacement and/or parts..

Repairing what you have or replacing the axle isn't that hard of a job, but it sounds like you are at the mercy of a repair shop hacks for repairs.

If it were mine with that many miles on it, I would just put a complete new(everything) axle on it including springs,u-bolts ect..
    Last edited by mxmike; 04-13-2022 at 06:03 PM.

4. Member
    The problem with replacement axles is, they are made to order by Dexter. Last time I ordered a Dexter axle, it was like 6 or 8 week lead time and that was pre-Covid days.
    A complete axle is easy to order and only requires a few measurements, they can be ordered as a rotor to rotor assembly.

5. Member
    I spun a bearing on my trailer at the end of last season. I was unable to find someone to weld on a new spindle (in alignment with the other side:), so I opted to order a complete axle, with new EZ Lube hubs. It took me about 6 phone calls before I found a company that did a fair bit of trailer modification business, and could source the product on short notice (Ranger/EZ Loader quoted 13 weeks). There was a two-day holdup for them to weld on the spring perches, otherwise I would have had it in four days. FWIW, this is a sprung, underslung 4" drop coaster (no brakes) 3500# axle, IDK the mfg. I'll be installing this afternoon.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmas13 View Post
    What I'd like to know is this: Can I replace the entire wheel assembly (both sides - axles, calipers, hubs, etc.) and upgrade to something (potentially) better than what I have? Is that a simpler prospect than replacing the side? I'm worried about getting one side fixed and then having a problem with the street side sometime in the near future. I am also quite frustrated with not having an estimate from the shop and it's been two weeks. Perhaps I have an unrealistic expectation, but I assume that measurements can be taken and then parts can be ordered.
    As others have suggested.... I wouldn't even mess with the old axle either, you can accurately measure the perch distance, inside (hub face to hub face) measurement, proper design (drop axle distance) and proper wheel bolt patter spacing and order the new or better axle... (I went through Southwest wheel). I did exactly the same thing with a 2001 Xpress trailer recently. So far very pleased... Although, I will warn you, the lead times on certain dimensions of axles, may be longer than you want to wait... The work is not that hard though. Good luck man.

7. Member
    If it were me....and I have been there.....I would order a loaded axle. They come fully assembled with leafs, brakes and everything. Disconnect the brake lines and pull the leaf spring bolts and out it comes. Reverse the order and go fishing.
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

8. Member
    Agree with KennyVexus. if you are going to keep it replace it all. But supply issues may be a challenge.

Check Tractor Supply if you have one nearby. I bought a Dexter axle off the floor that was an exact match for my NX750 trailer. You can DIY or have someone make your single into a dual axle trailer.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Before you think about replacing an axle I would do a really close inspection of your trailer. I think those early Nitro trailers were box tube frame and they rust from the inside!!

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

11. MSU Percussion Professor bmas13's Avatar
    Thank you to all for the valuable insight, encouragement, and wisdom that you shared freely. I've been a member here for many, many years and the helpfulness and kindness never ceases to amaze me. I'm not out of the woods with my situation as of yet, but hopefully I'll have some word in the next day or two as to when I'll be back on the road, and as soon as I have information I'll share it. Thanks again and stay tuned...

12. Member
    U truly take care of that rig. I would replace axle myself
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

13. MSU Percussion Professor bmas13's Avatar
    I want to send out a very special THANK YOU to all who posted! It's been a while, but it's important that I follow-up and let everyone know how I navigated this problem. My experience with the shop was terrible, but at the end of it all they did get me back on the road, so it's counterproductive/unnecessary to complain; I'll try and limit that.

I lost the wheel on March 30 and three weeks later the shop (finally) put in an order with Redneck Trailer in Columbus, OH, who gave a 4-6 week window for getting the axle assembly put together (axle, hubs, brakes, everything). So on week five I called to ask that things were on schedule and found out that the order had not been made due to a spec issue - the shop blamed it on someone at Redneck, but I'm pretty confident they weren't the problem. So I got all the necessary specs from the shop and started making phone calls myself.

I used the recommendations in this thread, did an internet search for phone numbers, and started making phone calls. Due to my location (Morehead, KY) Southwest Wheel recommended Tex Trail in Columbus, OH and they recommended Ohio Trailer Service (just down the street from them) who actually manufactures for Redneck and others. Within an hour, I had an axle on order and a day later it was ready for pickup. If you're in need of an axle, I can't recommend them more highly!

Once I delivered it to the shop it still took them 10 days to install it and get me back on the road. I was ecstatic about getting my rig back (after 9 weeks) and it took quite a lot of willpower to not berate everyone at the shop (there was another complication involved that required me to have the shop do the work, but getting into all of that isn't the point of this post). At the end of the day, I learned a lot and I've had a great fishing season since the Memorial Day weekend. Thanks again to the collective here at BBC - you're the best!

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Eastern Marine is also worth checking into. They carry a large inventory.

https://www.easternmarine.com/?gclid...SAAEgLW3vD_BwE