Drain plug for built in ice chest

I’m using a 1 inch twist type plug and its 1/2 inch to long. I’m thinking a 1 inch by 1/2 inch deep push in plug would be perfect. What type plug is everyone using?
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

2. Member
    I was thinking of using a plug in mine until I found this study. For me, I keep a lidless bin for the dry side of the cooler and let the water drain out as it melts.
    https://www.coolersonsale.com/drain-...er-or-keep-it/

Let us know what plug you settle on. Good luck!
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

3. Member
    If you plug the cooler drain hole water will come up into the "dry" area and get your stuff wet. I thought it was strange the there was no plug for the cooler when I got my boat. After a trip in July I figured it out

Quote Originally Posted by wdubuis View Post
    If you plug the cooler drain hole water will come up into the "dry" area and get your stuff wet. I thought it was strange the there was no plug for the cooler when I got my boat. After a trip in July I figured it out
    You must have a different system. My cooler drains straight into the bilge.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

5. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Difference Between a Aluminum Boat and Fiberglass boat - Fiberglass boat has a "Dry Area" for putting stuff you want to keep cold but not wet .

6. Member
    My cooler drains into the bilge. If you plug it to keep it from draining into the bilge, the built up water will migrate into the "Dry Area" and get anything that is in there wet, as there is a drain in the dry area to drain any water that comes in. When you plug the cooler drain the water will come in from the drain in the bottom of the "Dry Area"
    I can only assume that the cooler was not designed to be plugged in order to retain the water from the melted ice

Just to clear this up. The 1880 ice chest drains directly into the bilge. The 1980 and 2080 may be different. The photos show that the ice chest drain comes into the bilge area right next to the batterys on B5312FBB-7A4E-45BB-B788-C5EE0096F6A4.jpegeach side.EB3E84F3-AF40-4E66-A231-1002A4AD929A.jpeg
    Last edited by ifishinxs; 04-15-2022 at 09:00 PM.

8. Member
    I didn't even realize you could use either as coolers. was going to use my front live well since I'll never use it other than storage. but the back make more sense cause I had my front one built without the plumbing or hole cause I knew I would never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimim View Post
    I didn't even realize you could use either as coolers. was going to use my front live well since I'll never use it other than storage. but the back make more sense cause I had my front one built without the plumbing or hole cause I knew I would never use it.
    Whats even more interesting is how long they keep ice. I might get some adhesive lined foam board for the inside of the lid to make it that much better.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Whats even more interesting is how long they keep ice. I might get some adhesive lined foam board for the inside of the lid to make it that much better.
    very good to know. That’s a great idea. I’ll have to do that if it ever gets warmer than freezing up here. Horrible spring.

11. Member
    My 1980 came with a plastic plug for the ice chest. At the least the locker meant for the cooler right in front of the drivers console came with a plug. Those back 2 lockers next to the livewell have holes for draining but did not come with plugs. I didnt think they were meant for use as Ice chests.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diversity210 View Post
    My 1980 came with a plastic plug for the ice chest. At the least the locker meant for the cooler right in front of the drivers console came with a plug. Those back 2 lockers next to the livewell have holes for draining but did not come with plugs. I didnt think they were meant for use as Ice chests.
    From VEXUS web page. ICE.jpg
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer

Those compartments are well insulated. I had 2 guys in my boat a few weeks ago and it held all or our drinks and food Easily. I had to scoop the ice out after a few days as the ice still hadn’t melted yet.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    From VEXUS web page. ICE.jpg
    That is the 1880. It does not have the ice chest locker that sits right in front of the drivers console. I have the 1980 and it does have the one in front of the drivers console, plus the two in the back. Didn't know the ones in the back could be used as ice chests, because its not depicted that way on the website. Now I know though. Its nice to have different options.

15. Member
    I think what we are seeing for the 1980 as far as the rear compartments being fully insulated and usable for a cooler is a thought process carried over from the Ranger days as my Ranger 522 has the same setup where both rear compartments are fully insulated and drain into the bilge area, and I use the port side one as a cooler since I like to carry lots of drinks when I fish (8-12oz cans of Coke Zero, 8-12oz bottles of Dasani water, 8-12oz bottles of Gatorade Zero, and 8-10oz cans of Sugar Free Red Bull) in the summertime. I use the intended cooler compartment behind the seats for a recyclable compartment for empty drink containers. I don't use the supplied plug as I prefer to only fish on day trips and it makes cleanup easy since everything drains into the bilge anyways.

I found that the cooler compartment in the 1980 in front of the driver's console was too small for my needs, so I just did the same thing as on my Ranger and now use the rear port side compartment for as my cooler and let everything drain into the bilge area. I use the intended front cooler as a day box now for my soft plastic lures and rigging options like DS stuff, sinkers, hooks, wacky rig components, and spools of RIO Wire Bite and Sunline FC100 shock leader.

As you said, it nice to have options!

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Those compartments are well insulated. I had 2 guys in my boat a few weeks ago and it held all or our drinks and food Easily. I had to scoop the ice out after a few days as the ice still hadn’t melted yet.
    Yup. SOP is to scoop and toss at the end of the day.
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer