New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Any tips on painting lower unit

Do you have to use primer and what is the best spray cans to use ,it is a Johnson metallic charcoal paint .Doesn't have to be factory like but like a decent looking motor ...lol
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    use self etching primer, zinc oxide if you can find it, on any bare metal. Then you can use any primer over that.

3. Member
    Vhc brand epoxy paint holds up well, only place I have ever found it is auto parts stores

4. Member
    Oven paint and or BBQ grill paint. There was a company on scream and cry (forum) that did nose cones and that's what they used.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

5. Member
    I had a guy redo a skeg a couple of years ago, it was a Pro Xs and he used a spray paint for brakes. It was from O'Reilly (Dupli-color brake caliper) mine was silver for the Pro XS, but they had serval colors to chose from. It worked great and lasted way better than the mercury paint made for it. He said it was made with ceramic which held up to speeds over 55mph on the lower units and it also was heat tolerate. I still use today for touch up on my new lower units. I highly recommend this stuff just try and get a close match and you are good.

6. Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^ right there, has to be high heat paint.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

7. mikesxpress
    Strip it. Buff it. Never paint again.

8. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Mikesxpress that looks great, how long did that take to do and what kind of lower is that ?
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

I sometimes do that to my sport….it’ll last a couple trips. Just have to keep it polished.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Mikesxpress that looks great, how long did that take to do and what kind of lower is that ?
    Al it's a sport master LU but I've done it on torquemasters cases too. Getting all the existing paint off is hardest part. Roloc discs to buff out the case and make it smooth. Then a buffing compound of your choosing to shine. The chrome shine doesn't last but a few trips before it reverts back to a raw aluminum grey but that's fine and your never going to be messing around with primer/paint again. Rub some stumps/sand etc.. Hit it with 400 Roloc disc to buff back up in a few minutes. I don't think any lower unit should be painted. It's just a vicious cycle of ongoing sanding work/coating materials to keep it up. PIA. I have seen some good results others have achieved with bead blasting to get the OEM paint off.

11. Member
    Looks good.

12. Member
    Do you have to add a primer first when using this paint? Would like to repaint my lower unit. Had to replace it and the only lower unit they could find was a navy blue. Little off color with a Vmax top. Want to paint it black.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    that looks great! paint is temporary anyway
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Mike, it is hard to see in that picture. It appears to be shiny black?

Polished aluminum

16. Member
    Did you ever consider topping with a high temp clear coat such as AlumaClear? I just wonder how it would hold up under these conditions?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchcat1 View Post
    I had a guy redo a skeg a couple of years ago, it was a Pro Xs and he used a spray paint for brakes. It was from O'Reilly (Dupli-color brake caliper) mine was silver for the Pro XS, but they had serval colors to chose from. It worked great and lasted way better than the mercury paint made for it. He said it was made with ceramic which held up to speeds over 55mph on the lower units and it also was heat tolerate. I still use today for touch up on my new lower units. I highly recommend this stuff just try and get a close match and you are good.
    But let it bloody D R Y.....i didn't wait long enough and it "burned" off at the high "friction" points (probably the outside air temp didn't let it cure properly). It looked great when it was finished, but, not enough patience Grasshopper.....😉

18. Member
    Looks good Mike.