Flouro leader spools any different?

Does anyone have any experience with the various fluorocarbon leader spools?
    They are significantly more expensive per yard than the typical 200 yd spools. I’m looking for an abrasion/tooth resistant leader material and wonder if these leader spools are any better. Say comparing Sunline Shooter or Sniper to the small Sunline leader spools.

2. Member
    Good question
    Red Sox in 6!

3. Member
    I have only used leader material in my surf fishing set ups but I find it to be a little stiffer than regular line.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

4. Member
    The Seaguar Red and Blue (use it on braid mainline for 'most everything) seem stiffer than the Abrazx.

I have had good luck with the sun line fc leader in 8,10,12lb tests. More expensive yes but they last a long time. I’ve used/use shooter and sniper but only down as low as 16lb so I can’t tell you lb for lb comparison. The leader material is a little on the stiff side but has a very smooth finish. I do not reel my leaders into my spool , only enough leader length that the knot is between the reel and the first guide. With that being said if you run long leaders I don’t have feedback for you on how this line would come off a reel. (Baitcaster wouldn’t matter just spinning might) I had 20lb braid to a 12 sun line fc leader on a spinning rod two years ago when I caught my p.b. 8.20lb that wrapped me up in a dock for a little bit before I landed it. That said a lot about it’s toughness for me. I have got a spool of their new leader material I’m curious to try, can’t remember name of top of the head but it’s got the multi color fade concept.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

It's supposed to be stiffer and more abrasion resistant. I think makes a lot of sense given that there's a ton of variability in "mainline" fluoro out there, so it stands to reason they'd make a formulation that doesn't handle as well but that holds up better when they know people aren't going to be trying to spool it. That was the line of reasoning that had me using it for a long time.

Then I came across several videos from Salt Strong where they were doing comparisons. The main takeaway for me after wading through several of these was that they found no difference in abrasion resistance (and possibly some other factors as well...it's been a while) between mainline and leader fluoro. I think in one case they did find a difference comparing rating to rating, but it was only because the company had used larger diameters for the same pound test for the leader material. Here's one example of their mainline vs. leader material comparisons, here comparing Seaguar Red Label varieties, where they found no difference: https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/...-vs-main-line/

After that I went to using mainline spools for leader material. It's orders of magnitude more economical of course, but the important thing for me is that I haven't noticed any difference in toughness or whatever else in using it. To be fair this is just bass fishing, not some toothy or exceptionally large species, and it's mostly around grass and docks in my situation. Interestingly, it seems that I've noticed a bigger difference between Shooter and Sniper than between either of those two and leader material. Shooter seems toughest pretty much across the board, and it's also a lot more temperamental than Sniper when spooled up.

One last thing that's kept me using mainline is the way Sunline has chosen to market their leader material. It's not being touted as a tougher alternative like I might've expected. Instead, all of the ads I've seen for it are just lamenting the fact that a regular spool might not be used up for a couple years, while the leader spools are smaller and more manageable and will be fresh (implicitly because you'll run out more often and have to replace them). What's funny is they've had FC leader material for many years, but almost seem to have "relaunched" it in the past couple calling it new and running ads to draw attention to it.

At the end of the day, short of buying both and directly comparing them, I'm not sure you'll get a good answer. Interested to hear what everyone else thinks!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

7. Member
    I have tried two different flouro leader material spools. One is the Sunline FC100 System Leader. I got that in 20lb test and I got it because it's a shock leader so it has a bit more stretch in it. I bought it to use for tying braid-to-leader on jigs and T-rigs where I will be setting the hook hard. So far it has done really well, but I'm not sure it's any better than using a 20lb mainline flouro. The other one I got was the Seaguar Gold Label leader material and I got that in 15lb test. Two things I have noticed about it. It is stiffer than other mainline flouros I have used and it is smaller diameter. The 15lb Gold Label is the same diameter as 12lb Seaguar Invisx flourocarbon. I just bought the Gold Label this past winter, so I haven't had a chance to see how it performs yet, but I could see where it might be a good choice in ultra clear waters where you need the smaller diameter but also need the added strength if fishing around heavier cover. My mind might change after using the Gold Label leader material, but for now I would say that I'll probably just use mainline flouro for my leaders going forward simply because of the drastic cost difference.

8. Member
    Definitely not much in the way of user reviews/comparisons out there. As with most things line related there’s so much misinformation and marketing bs. I’m primarily a straight mono or braid to mono leader guy.
    No complaints really but early in the season when the bass are shallow and aggressive so too are the pike. Just want something a bit more pike resistant.

I used to buy "fluorocarbon leader" for saltwater. I found no difference in using Fluorocarbon mainline for leader. It gets harder to find once you get over 25 lb. If I need something heavier for saltwater I just use Ande Mono leader spools , it's more round than Ande mono mainline.

10. Member
    I bought my first spool of FC leader this year. Not impressed. I went back to regular 12 pound Sunline Sniper. I use a Alberto knot to join to my 20 pound braid.

11. Member
    I just an impromptu abrasion and stretch test on Fc leader , Shooter and Sniper mainlines. As well as Big game, Sufix advance and Trilene sensation.
    Not much difference in abrasion resistance between the lines I have, Sufix advance mono was bit bit tougher but it is also the largest diameter of all the 12lb lines.

Stretch test showed essentially the same amount of stretch between the lines.
    16feet of line, hung a bucket with a 1 pound weight, then a 2 pound weight, then a 4 pound weight. From the second floor window to the ground outside. Over the 16 feet all had less than 6 inches of stretch at 4 pounds and much less at 1 and 2 pounds.
    I know I’ll probably get flack for my methodology but I was bored today and thought I’d seek my own answers and now I have them.

12. Member
    I have always used sunline sniper mainline as a leader.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

13. Member
    If it's good enough to use as mainline it's good enough for leaders. If there are issues it's more likely to show up in the knots first. IMO