Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adding 5th battery to 4 bank charger

What would be the best way to add a 5th battery to a a boat with a 4 bank charger? I have a group 31 agm for cranking, electronics, pumps and everything else and 3 batteries for my trolling motor. I want to add another battery just for my electronics. What would be the best way to add this battery and still utilize the 4 bank charger?? Would there be any risk?

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi man View Post
    What would be the best way to add a 5th battery to a a boat with a 4 bank charger? I have a group 31 agm for cranking, electronics, pumps and everything else and 3 batteries for my trolling motor. I want to add another battery just for my electronics. What would be the best way to add this battery and still utilize the 4 bank charger?? Would there be any risk?
    You need a single bank charger.

3. Member
    Install a Yardina Combiner 100. For ~90 bucks problem solved. Plus it will provide charge to that 5th battery while running.

https://yandina.com/

4. Member
    I would parallel two batteries for cranking/ electronics. You'll get twice the amp hours and utilize the boats alternator to charge while running. Just hook one bank up to one of the paralleled batteries and it will charge both at the same time, it'll just take twice as long.

So you'd have 5 batteries:
    2 in parallel hooked up to one charger bank/ motor/ electronics.
    3 in series for the 36v trolling motor with each one hooked up individually to a charger bank.

But you're better off getting lithium.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman92 View Post
    I would parallel two batteries for cranking/ electronics. You'll get twice the amp hours and utilize the boats alternator to charge while running. Just hook one bank up to one of the paralleled batteries and it will charge both at the same time, it'll just take twice as long.

3 in series for the 36v trolling motor with each one hooked up individually to a charger bank.

Thanks...I'm looking at almost 4 grand for lithium..maybe later on.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman92 View Post
    I would parallel 0407221225a_HDR.jpgtwo batteries for cranking/ electronics. You'll get twice the amp hours and utilize the boats alternator to charge while running. Just hook one bank up to one of the paralleled batteries and it will charge both at the same time, it'll just take twice as long.

I thought SERIOUSLY about doing what you advise (and probably should have), but, ended up adding a lil single bank charger. 24v trolling, 12v engine, 12v electronics.

However, if I'd paralleled my starter and electronics batteries it'd probably burned up BOTH batteries when my engine burned up in an electrical fire last Thursday. The theory is, via a couple of experienced Merc mechanics, is the voltage regulator started The electrical fire. Post the fire the starter battery is most probably toast, so I'm sure it'd fried my electronics battery if they'd been tied together..... and possibly burned up all my electronics wiring , and maybe the whole boat, etc????

0810201149~3.jpg1208211853_HDR~2.jpg

Yandina Combiner 100
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Member
    Is it safe? Is there any risk to this?

9. Member
    In my opinion and being an electrician paralleling 2 12 volt batteries is the ticket. The motor alternator can handle it and so can the charger. As stated it will take a little longer to charge with the onboard charger but you will have double the capacity. You have to only be cautious of the battery you add. Make sure they are equal on size and AH

10. Member
    I added a one bank charger and this noco plug to my boat

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GCP2-18-...a-820529726782

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    In my opinion and being an electrician paralleling 2 12 volt batteries is the ticket. The motor alternator can handle it and so can the charger. As stated it will take a little longer to charge with the onboard charger but you will have double the capacity. You have to only be cautious of the battery you add. Make sure they are equal on size and AH
    Thanks..seems like everyone is confident that there will be no issues running the extra battery in parallel..I will buy the exact same battery that it will connect to.

The problem with parallel is the charge. Splits the amps in half and twice as long to charge. Defeats the whole purpose unless you only fish every other day.

13. Member
    However if you want to try the Combiner 100 or the Combiner 100-LI here is a one month $20 discount for BBC members.
    Order the Combiner and on the "REVIEW ORDER" page enter C100-20 in the PROMOTION BOX before going to CHECKOUT.
    Make sure the discount is still showing when you get to CHECKOUT.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    The problem with parallel is the charge. Splits the amps in half and twice as long to charge. Defeats the whole purpose unless you only fish every other day.
    I fish once a weekend and sometimes twice back to back if I'm pre fishing for a tournament..I hardly drain more than half of the batteries as thats what it shows when I plug them in. I think I should be good..

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi man View Post
    I fish once a weekend and sometimes twice back to back if I'm pre fishing for a tournament..I hardly drain more than half of the batteries as thats what it shows when I plug them in. I think I should be good..
    Then ur good. Would'nt work for me though. I want all the charge I can get.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Install a Yardina Combiner 100. For ~90 bucks problem solved. Plus it will provide charge to that 5th battery while running.

https://yandina.com/
    I installed the Yandina Combiner 100 Lithium back in the spring. It allows me to charge my 5 batteries with my 4 bank Ionic charger. I have it connected between my AGM cranking battery and lithium house battery. Keeps both batteries completely separate when not charging. Works great.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H. View Post
    I installed the Yandina Combiner 100 Lithium back in the spring. It allows me to charge my 5 batteries with my 4 bank Ionic charger. I have it connected between my AGM cranking battery and lithium house battery. Keeps both batteries completely separate when not charging. Works great.
    Thanks..I think might go that route. If I'm not mistaken, it allows the alternator to charge both batteries as well correct..I guess I just wanted to make sure there will be no safety issues hence all the questions..last thing I want is a fire in my battery compartment or to have any equipment failures..

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Add a single bank noco gen pro. Problem solved and you electronics battery is isolated from any other battery so zero interference pure clean power and images. Use the noco 2 into 1 plug port and only have 1 extension cord to plug in same as before.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Add a single bank noco gen pro. Problem solved and you electronics battery is isolated from any other battery so zero interference pure clean power and images. Use the noco 2 into 1 plug port and only have 1 extension cord to plug in same as before.
    Exactly what I did.....works perfectly.

20. Member
    I would suggest paralleling 2 new batteries, if you go that route. You’d probably be ok with a new and an old battery, but it’s not ideal. Charging shouldn’t take much, if any longer than one battery unless they’re both dead. If you pull 20ah (or whatever) out during a day of fishing, your charger puts 20ah back in. Doesn’t matter much if it’s into one battery or two. The charger can’t tell if it’s a 100ah battery or two 50ah batteries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast