2002 TR-21 Longevity, Max HP, Value

Hi all,
    Have started looking at some used boats - I know, really the wrong time to be doing this, but it is what it is unfortunately. Living in coastal area, there are not to many used freshwater boats, at least compared to CC's - There's a CC for sale on every other block it seems lol...

Anyway, ran across a 2002 TR-21, looks to be in better than avg shape for age. Has a 200HP HPDI, so am wondering if it will be underpowered. Have researched the motor and they appear bulletproof if maintained for the most part. Has just under 200 hours.

As far as the hull, to be honest I didn't think I would be looking at 20 year old boats, but prices have surprised me a bit. This one is listed at 29K essentially, which seems high but I have no idea really. Has some recent upgrades which I think is driving the price - Two PP Blades installed in '21, 3 Trolling motor batteries replaced in '21, as we as MK 460 charger added. Has Helix 9 and 10 with down/side imaging, as well as some cosmetic upgrades like LED lights, new seats, Oxygen Air for Livewells, etc... has 115 Fortrex not sure if original.

Anyway, 30K for a 20 year old boat & motor, does that seem reasonable in today's market? Should I be concerned about the 200 on a 21ft hull? Any TR21 or TR series things I should look out for. Going to call the owner tomorrow to discuss, anything specific I should ask about on this model/engine?
    I see it was listed a few months ago but didn't sell. The seats were all torn up then, the seller appears to have replaced them and re-listed it. Not sure if anything else was wrong that made it sit on market for 4 months though. It's actually a bit more boat than I was looking for initially, instead looking at 19/20 foot maybe, but the inventory is pretty low around here in general. Fishing will be St. Johns and other Central Florida lakes ie Rodman, George, Crescent, Orange/Lochloosa, Toho, HCOL, Rousseau, etc
    Last edited by 78Staff; 04-12-2022 at 01:28 AM.

2. Member
    Are you talking about the one at fun n sun in Texas? It looks super clean but no way I would drop 30k on a boat that old. Low to mid 20s if it as updated electronics, trolling motor, etc

3. Member
    In comparison, i have an 03 tr21 bmc. 250hpdi. Very clean boat. Dual blades. Lowrance gen3's, and 112lb ultrex. Besides seats and lighting, and smaller upgrades ive done. And i was thinking if i upgraded this year i would try to get 24k. Maybe im undervaluing mine. So yes, i think the 30k is over priced. Especially with the 200hp on it. I think the realistic price for that boat in this market is between 19-24k. Obviously depending on condition and if the motor checks out. Get a compression and leak down test. Its worth eating the $200 at a shop before buying to be sure you're purchase is worth the money.

Just to add, the tr21 are great hulls. No issues i know of. They run like a rocket if set up correctly. The hpdi's are very fuel dependant. Meaning dilligent maintenance on fuel system and filters needs to be a priority. Every other season i have all my filters done, and they are expensive little suckers. But well worth the pre-emptive maintenance.

No I am in Florida. Checked various TR-21's for sale or sold recently on various sites last night, I think you guys are correct most seem to list in the 20-25K range with 225's. Although the FNS one is sale pending at 30K so someone must have paid for it.

I think (and I haven't talked to him) the seller is probably looking at book value and thinking he's spent 6-7K in upgrades the past year and is trying to get that back. It's a Bassmaster Classic Edition too, not sure if that affects value much on a 20 year old boat. I'm probably going to skip it, may call him out of curiosity but it's one of those "no hurry to sell/don't waste my time" kind of listings so I doubt he's very flexible on his price, as it sat on market 4 months on his previous listing. Going to keep looking for a 19/20ft or maybe a tin boat most likely - thanks all.

5. Member
    If it sat for 4 months before in the market we're in with people buying everything recreational, then its for sure priced too high. Lol

6. Member

7. Member
    After looking around more, there's lots better deals out there.

I agree, I didn't even bother to call on it...

Thanks all...

9. Member
    I found one that's a pretty good deal but I haven't talked to the owner or anything. Check out Facebook marketplace in New Market Alabama. There's a black 2011 21hp for 26k. It's not updated electronics or anything but seems like a decent deal

10. Member
    i would sell you mine for 21,000. pm if you are still looking

Thanks, I did find a boat already...

12. Member
    Sent you a pm Biggs0270

13. Member
    I just bought an 2004 TR21. Compression was great. Gave low 20s. Boat is in pristine condition. I learned alot about boats the last few months. Garage kept with low hours. Search FB market place and search it couple times a day. Good ones don’t last long

14. Member
    I have a friend with a 2008 Triton Tr 21 with 250 Mercury 250 XS. Not sure about electronics. $26 k.

Beautiful boat.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

15. Member